Should I get into Amway?

I was at the shopping mall when this nice couple started a conversation and I told them I was thinking of getting the new Klipschorns and they said that I could easily make enough money in a few months with this business they were expanding (which turns out to be Amway/Quixtar). I haven't signed up yet. Any recommendations?

C&S

Smile it's Nothing.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/23/2005 1:31:07 PM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

I was at the shopping mall when this nice couple started a conversation and I told them I was thinking of getting the new Klipschorns and they said that I could easily make enough money in a few months with this business they were expanding. I haven't signed up yet. Any recommendations?

C&S

----------------

Well, it is a pyramid scheme that could be your cup of tea or it could be a big waste of your time. Personally, I can tell you my best friend tried it and failed. He even sold his '64 Chevy pick-up just to get plane tickets to the big conference (that year I think it was in KC.) He had a strong support group and had one very successful Amway representative in the family but he couldn't do it. The reason could be that he, like me, would have a hard time selling ice water to a man dieing in the desert.

Why is it a "pyramid scheme"? Well, your success isn't necessarily dependent upon how much you sell as it is how much those under you sell. Each person you bring into the pyramid you get a percentage of their sales so that the higher up the pyramid you are the more money you make. You could sell your butt off but if you never recruit more salemen then you will never experience the success you are leada to believe is possible. It's not about who you can convince to buy so much as it is who you can convince to sell. Get them to work their butt off for you and then you will be most successful.

D

Federal laws require them to disclose that the average Amway distributor makes about $18 per month! On the other hand, Ive met two couples who do it full time and make hundreds of thousands per month at the upper levels, with pyramid marketing.

I'd stay away from it. It's almost a cult. I knew people who tried it who lost many of their friends because they were always trying to sell them the detergent or something (note - it turned my white stuff grey. Amway said it was cleaning all the dirt out of the washing machine (!) and it had no where to go besides my dress shirts (!!), and that I needed to run a half dozen or so empty loads before I could realize the full benefits of the product (!!!). This rapidly becomes prohibitive when you are dealing with a laundromat.)

I could also talk about what Amsoil did to my Opel-car, but that's a longer story.

I vaguely remember something about the founders of Amway getting run out of the country. Something about mail fraud, but I'm not sure.

----------------

On 5/23/2005 2:01:12 PM dragonfyr wrote:

If you are interested in pursuing a valid multi-level marketing program, check out Pre-Paid Legal. At least the sell a 'real' service. Avoid Amway.
----------------

I agree with the above statement 100%

I looked into Amway in 1981 and decided against it because my success would be dependant on the success of others.

As a self-employed successful entrepreneur over the last 28 years, I have looked around....a lot and Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc. is by far the best income producing business opportunity I know of for making a full time income even working part time.

Unlike most multi-level marketed companies, since Pre-Paid Legal Services is direct marketed, a person can make a significant income as Independent Associate without ever recruiting another person into the business.

Even if the business opportunity does not interest you at this time, the service likely will. The cost to become a Pre-paid Legal Services member is only $26 plus the one-time $10 enrollment fee. Some join so that they can receive their $500-$600 Last Will & Testament prepared for free, since there are no long term contracts, just the $25 monthly fee plus $1.00 for the legal shield (which I feel would be worth the membership fee all by itself).

To learn more about Pre-Paid Legal Services visit: www.PrePaidLegal.com/hub/shreffler .

Feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to supply any further information you desire or answer questions you may have.

----------------

On 5/23/2005 4:46:10 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

In the end you'll be all alone, surrounded by massive boxes of detergent.

----------------

Cool! That happens to be my dream!

From a couple of the above statements it seems that many do not quite understand how AMWAY works...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

You do not run around pressuring others to buy Amway products! But too many enter Amway thinking that they have some wiz bang method to sell the products to a business or some other market...They miss the point! And if you pursue this avenue you will simply expend lots of effort, make a few bucks commission, and make your up line profitable.

No, you DON'T sell Amway products! You simply USE Amway products. They are like a Wal-Mart. They market everything. And you simply replace your normal retail personal and household items that you might buy at Target or Wal-Mart (or for you Wal-Mart zealots, you make them yourself...) with products you order from the Amway 'catalog'.

What you sell is AMWAY! You sell others on becoming distributors, who in turn become consumers of the AMWAY products and sell others on doing the same. There really isn't a scam, but unless you develop your down line - that chain of folks using and getting others to do so, you will go nowhere. And the cult atmosphere is to keep the cadre motivated, as once they stop, so does the commission for using all the products that flows upwards.

I have to admit it is an interesting premise. And in itself, there is NOTHING wrong with it. BUT, as I did several industrial shows (the product - JUST like the other rock shows we did - in fact, after we were done, we ran over to visit old friends with the Dead/Sting shows in Chicago in 94(?) - whenever the Bulls blew the championship that they could have won in Chicago and had to finally win the series wherever it was they played next - hey, I couldn't care less about pro basketball - but all I know is that they were all over the news telling folks NOT to come downtown! Yep, Cabrini Green was a buzzin!)Oh, but Ive gotten off track! Its just more interesting to me then AMWAY!

The shows were mesmerizing, and produced as well as any function I have ever been associated with. And the sole purpose was to keep these folks motivated. And if you do it, it works. But it's not for me. Personally, I wouldn't like being locked into buying the Amway stuff. That is the ultimate deal breaker for me. And if I wouldn't use it, its hard to go out and convince others that they should. (And maybe a few here should try and figure out why there are so many rabid SVS fans here! Cause they perform?? Ya think??? I think that is part of the (wise)'method to the madness' regarding this Klipsch forum, to encourage this same mindset! But you can't force it! You can only encourage it!).

On the other hand, Pre-Paid Legal provides a service that is of real use to folks. It is similar to legal insurance, or a legal ***. And don't hit me with your horrendous *** or health insurance issues...Sorry, but I don't care. The point is that they provide a real useful and tangible service for individuals and small businesses. Just think, for ~$25 a month you could have a law firm chase down those EBay scammers!

So do a little research into MLM. It's not for everyone. And it isn't all a fraud either. But just like you wouldn't buy a franchise because some guy just walks up to you and offers it, you don't enter into MLM that way either. You research the product and what is required.

Oh, and if I gave a rats posterior about the word count, I guess I have exceeded it. Maybe even used a big word or two But I will leave that worry to other anal yahoos to worry aboutOh well

Here's a clue guys, the people who SELL Amway don't get much, its all in the percentage of those BELOW you on the pyramid, who you "sign up" - hence the no-friends-left thing. And when they (those you sign up) sign up other people to be below them, everyone moves up a notch sort of, and gets a small percentage of what gets sold at the bottom. So numbers below you count. So the whole thing relies on you selling the scam to others so you can make money from them and the people they in turn enlist. The point is, it boils down to a constant need for "new blood" at the bottom or the whole thing craps out and dies.

It's a scam for the (gasp!) "uneducated". IF YOU'RE SMART ENOUGH TO GO FOR KHORNS, THEN YOU'RE TOO SMART TO FALL FOR THIS, WOULDN'T YOU THINK?!

DM2.gif