Is Klipsch using us for WOM marketing?

formica

I have come across several articles discussing Word-Of-Mouth (WOM) marketing, which has been getting quite a bit of attention recently.

----------------

Word of mouth marketing: Giving people a reason to talk about your products and services, and making it easier for that conversation to take place.

----------------

The thing found interesting is the techniques used to create this market BUZZ ... as described in WOMMA's Positive Word of Mouth Marketing Strategies ... are omnipresent in these forums.

----------------

Good word of mouth marketing strategies involve finding ways to support satisfied customers and making it easier for them to talk to their friends.

1. Encouraging communications

- Creating forums and feedback tools

3. Creating communities and connecting people

- Creating user groups and fan clubs

- Hosting discussions and message boards about your products

- Enabling grassroots organization such as local meetings and other real-world participation

6. Researching and listening to customer feedback

- Tracking online and offline conversations by supporters, detractors, and neutrals

- Listening and responding to both positive and negative conversations

7. Engaging in transparent conversation

- Creating blogs and other tools to share information

- Participating openly on online blogs and discussions

8. Co-creation and information sharing

- Involving consumers in marketing and creative (feedback on creative campaigns, allowing them to create commercials, etc.)

----------------

Those are just some of the items which jumped out at me. While so many other companies are now trying to get into this more discrete but effective marketing technique, Klipsch has had many of these things set-up and in practice for years. Not many audio companies can boast having a "fan club"... let alone one which is so active online.

I really like my speakers and I am not afraid to share that info with people I meet... and their size ensures that anyone coming to my home will notice them.

So what do you guys think... are we a conscientious planned part of the Klipsch Marketing team... or just a lucky coincidence? I'm willing to trade my "commission" for some free products ... 9.gif

Rob

You hit the nail on the head, Rob, I posted about that quite a while ago, they definately keep on top of the discussions / modifications. Just like using your Airmiles card, the vendors that "reward" you for using it, they use the information that airmiles sells to them to help market new products, and to keep a profile on the "average" shopper.

• Moderators

----------------

On 5/27/2005 2:12:58 PM michael hurd wrote:

You hit the nail on the head, Rob, I posted about that quite a while ago, they definately keep on top of the discussions / modifications. Just like using your Airmiles card, the vendors that "reward" you for using it, they use the information that airmiles sells to them to help market new products, and to keep a profile on the "average" shopper.
----------------

What do you mean? No one here is reading! 9.gif

Actually, we started this forum years ago for Klipsch fanatics to have a place to come to discuss their passion for the speakers. A marketing tool was either not intended or perhaps secondary. Over time, it has proved to be a very useful tool in determining what the customers want and what trends or problems are out in the market. It's vital to have some avenue for direct consumer feedback when most of your business is handled through dealers.

I think it's great!

I think if it wasn't planned when they created it, they should definately pay attention to these principles now. Partly because of this forum there are a lot of very gung-ho klipsch people. A lot of guys have even offered to let people audition Heritage in their homes, etc.

----------------

On 5/27/2005 2:29:36 PM damonrpayne wrote:

I think if it wasn't planned when they created it, they should definately pay attention to these principles now. Partly because of this forum there are a lot of very gung-ho klipsch people. A lot of guys have even offered to let people audition Heritage in their homes, etc.

----------------

My door is always open for anyone to check out the set up. I am not aware of a heritage dealer within a 150 miles of me.

----------------

On 5/27/2005 2:27:02 PM Amy Unger wrote:

Actually, we started this forum years ago for Klipsch fanatics to have a place to come to discuss their passion for the speakers. A marketing tool was either not intended or perhaps secondary.

----------------

I kinda figured that... but thought it would still make for interesting conversation. I'm actually impressed by the level of participation here as well as the pilgrimages. I hope Klipsch realises the advantage and head start they have on their competition in this respect?

Actually I'm not sure if you noticed the following items in my link...

- Letting customers 'behind the curtain' to have first access to information and content

- Working with product development to build WOM elements into products

but I think those are two items which Klipsch could implement with some pretty good success.

The mystery product unveiling at the pilgrimage should address #1... but getting a forum developed product would be nice too. A Heritage centre or subwoofer? 4.gif

Rob

PS: Amy, BTW your recent posts requesting campaign feedback, was a nice move on your part... hope one of your bosses were paying attention 2.gif

I bet ya this forum has greatly influenced the sales of Klipsch. Which is great realy. I'd rather it be Klipsch than some other company. Now do we get a free baseball cap?9.gif What happened to that anyways. Was that to political? Wanting a baseball cap. Was a baseball cap revolution about to happen? 3.gif No big deal I have moved on with my life.

• Moderators

----------------

On 5/27/2005 3:02:32 PM formica wrote:

I kinda figured that... but thought it would still make for interesting conversation. I'm actually impressed by the level of participation here as well as the pilgrimages. I hope Klipsch realises the advantage and head start they have on their competition in this respect?

We most certainly do!!

Actually I'm not sure if you noticed the following items in my link...

Yes, I did

- Letting customers 'behind the curtain' to have first access to information and content

- Working with product development to build WOM elements into products

This will happen and the pilgrimage, yes.

We DO implement a lot of your ideas into our products! There isn't just one post we can point to and say, "yeah, we'll do that!", but we do listen and compile feedback.

PS: Amy, BTW your recent posts requesting campaign feedback, was a nice move on your part... hope

one of your bosses were paying attention
2.gif

Thanks, although I didn't do it for recognition! I know where to go to get honest, intelligent (ok, for the
most
part) feedback when I need it!
9.gif

----------------

very cool initial post, was hoping our dear Amy would see this...

it's one thing for us to talk amoung ourselves and communicate with the company, and we all dearly appreciate this Forum, but what would really make the world take notice would some way for us to hoist our flag, to let others who are not so enlightened into our little society. What could we do in public to tell others of our loyalty to the Klipsch brand identity? hmmmmmmmmm

Michael

It is because of this forum that my system has reached the level that it has, I have learned alot in the last 4-5 years. In addition, I have had some of the finest speakers in the world in my hands even if only for a short while during this continuous transition.

Show me one other dedicated speaker fan that would fly from Tulsa, OK to Manchester, NH, drive to Burlington, VT to pick up and drive a pair of '61 Cornwalls home to Tulsa, OK so they would be safe and cared for every mile of the way. My brother in law Gilbert did it to ensure the preservation of the oldest known pair of beautiful Cornwalls on the forum. I know of NO other company that has people willing to go to such great lengths to pick up or buy the speakers that they love. It is selfless dedication plain and simple, every pair of Klipsch I have I picked up personally as far as Raliegh, NC.

Seriously, do other companies like JBL or Infinity have this type of following?

I had a guy beg me to sell him my La Scala's and he would pick them up personally and he was in Dubuque, Iowa! I really get amazed sometimes.

Saying Thank You seems like it is just not enough.

1.gif

Speaking of Dubuque, IA, last Saturday the 21st there was an auction there from what must have been a dealer that closed. Our Waterloo, IA paper listed only that there were quite a few sets of Klipsch speakers and a couple subs, along with some other high-end stuff. I wanted to go.....but the wife would have shot me.14.gif

Frz, I too am as dedicated as you and Gilbert. So there's several of us fanatics here. In fact, I'm very proud to part of our party of three- between us having 61, 62, 63 Cornwalls.

I only flew from Indy to Miami- rented a van and drove em home 1300 miles personally. No way I'd ship these pieces of history! Sound as good as factory fresh speakers! Says something about Klipsch if they can make a box that'll hold up a pounding for 40-some years.

THANK YOU KLIPSCH- for your products and this Forum! I've learned more here that I could ever imagine. And made some lifelong friends in the process. Fine groups of folks for the most part.

Michael

If there is one company that I don't mind spreading word-of-mouth, it is Klipsch.

I just friggan love these speakers, and to be quite frank, I honostly could not find anything else that sounded as good as these for the price. Even some speakers that costed much more than these did.

I mean, has anybody heard of a "Bose" gathering, for instance?

At least with Klipsch, you are getting a real product, with real performance, for your money. Unlike that "other" company that just sells a name.

----------------

On 5/27/2005 6:15:18 PM Frzninvt wrote:

It is because of this forum that my system has reached the level that it has

----------------

I have to admit that it has influenced me too... with all the talk about Khorns, I had to try a set myself. Pretty soon I'll have two pairs... 1.gif

----------------

Seriously, do other companies like JBL or Infinity have this type of following?

----------------

I'm not sure about JBL fans (they are a special breed), but they definitely don't have a company supported community and heritage products like Klipsch offers.

If you really think about it, Klipsch has performed a pretty amazing feat surpassing JBL in sales and general public brand appreciation (an assumption on my part ...). Probably the decision to preserve the heritage line-up as well as building a community has helped make then synonymous with quality speakers. (as well as selling off pyle 14.gif)

Ironically the units with the smallest sales (heritage) are really at the heart of the community. Something old-timers like JBL and Altec overlooked. Although I have suggested that the Jubilee could be a marketing tool like a corvette for chevy.... Klipsch already considers it's entire heritage lineup as such a tool.

A couple of good decisions as well as a bit of luck has paid off.

----------------

On 5/27/2005 3:20:47 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

very cool initial post, was hoping our dear Amy would see this...

----------------

Micheal... what's up with the vomit brown text? 14.gif

----------------

On 5/27/2005 3:05:28 PM wheelman wrote:

Now do we get a free baseball cap?
9.gif

----------------

I was kinda hoping for one of Deon's prototypes... (or an engineering job?)... but i guess a cap could do... 2.gif

Rob

"So what do you guys think... are we a conscientious planned part of the Klipsch Marketing team... or just a lucky coincidence? "

Klipsch's launch of this Forum was pure genius. We are being unwittingly manipulated by Klipsch as we participate like powerless pawns in this Forum, which is obviously the center piece of their word of mouth assault on the public. We are so gullible. (Just Kidding)

Actually, I think the fact that Klipsch decided to provide such a Forum reflects their core values established by PWK himself. Whatever marketing value that it has resulted in is well deserved, but I highly doubt it was a part of some grand marketing scheme by Klipsch.