Best Ten Watt Tube Amp. To $1500.00 (Opinions)

126mhz

As all of my two channel systems seem to be in a state of flux, I am now working towards my version of nervana on my main system. I have a pair of as new birch La Scalas and am looking for a low watt tube amp. or amps. if it's a monoblock set.. I will be using it with a juicy pre amp, (one flavor or another)

I listen to a a wide range of music but between Miles Davis and The Buena Vista Social Club I will need it to play "In The City" (The Eagles off "The Long Run.") at almost deafening levels. (My favorite Joe Walsh tune!)

To keep the total cost of my purchase in my range I need to limit the cost to about $1500.00 total)

Do you believe what I may be able to purchase in a ten watt or below amp. will give me better sound than my competely gone through ST70?

I truly appreciate the advice and opinions.

Bill Woodward

P.S. Right now with a Maple Tree 4A SE (Pre), a ST70, with my La Scalas and a MKII Sunfire sub I get some fairly high quality loud rock and roll. I just wonder if I can get better overall sound with some lower wattage, higher quality power.

I just said my main system has "To Be Able" to play at deafening levels. Miles Davis, (as mentioned) and the likes of Buena Vista Social Club get their air time at levels that really make me appreciate 104db effecient speakers.

But thanks for your input.2.gif

Bill Woodward

For the loud rock, even a 300b amp would run out of steam before your LaScalas. The perfect solution is or more two amps to roll as your mood dictates.2.gif

If one amp is your limit. I would suggest a triode/pentode switch for your ST-70. If you are just a little bit handy with a soidering iron, you would have no problem doing it yourself.

That way you would have a "sweeter" sound for your low power listening with around 15 Watts and more dynamics for rockin'.

Rick

----------------

On 5/28/2005 12:55:01 PM 126mhz wrote:

I just said my main system has "To Be Able" to play at deafening levels. Miles Davis, (as mentioned) and the likes of Buena Vista Social Club get their air time at levels that really make me appreciate 104db effecient speakers.

But thanks for your input.
2.gif

Bill Woodward
----------------

Am I on some sort of hidden camera?

----------------

On 5/28/2005 12:05:07 PM 126mhz wrote:

Do you believe what I may be able to purchase in a ten watt or below amp. will give me better sound than my competely gone through ST70?

----------------

No, you definitely would be going down in quality. The ST-70 is reportedly running in Class A up to 15W. Just use this with one of the Juicy preamps you're considering and you'll have a great set-up.

----------------

On 5/28/2005 4:28:49 PM 126mhz wrote:

I do appreciate the advice and trust me, I already love my ST70. I always liked it but a new board and caps, etc. have made it something I never want to part with.

Regards,

Bill Woodward

----------------

Same here. I originally bought my ST-70 as an extra amp to use at work, and figured that I wanted to see what the whole Dyanco deal was. It sounded so good that it basically became my primary amp. I rarely hear anything that sounds better.

I doubt that I will ever get rid of it. Id love to find something that sounds better, however... but it would have to sound pretty darn good. I hear that some of the Eicos, Fishers and Scotts are better.

----------------

----------------

Greetings,

I'd recommend trying a SonicImpact tripath amp ... at a whopping cost of about $30. There ain't no more bang for the buck anywhere! If you find that a low powered amp (the SI develops about 5wpc) works for you, you can move on from there without having sacrificed too many $$$ in the process.

One thing you'll notice in any low-powered amp, when compared to a ST-70 (I owned one which was modded to develop about 40wpc), is that you'll definitely lack some "slam" in the bass and overall dynamics -- depending, of course, on how much power your speakers demand to fill your room at your preferred listening level. On the other hand, you'll gain quite a bit of "rightness" in the overall presentation with a low-powered amp. I found that going from the fixed-bias ST-70 to a cathode-biased Knight to my single-ended Audio Note gave me increasing amounts of musical mojo.

I still haven't sold my 10wpc Audio Note (although my first impression of the tripath made me wonder about that ... longer-term listening tests have proved valuable in this regard), and I find that in my condo with kg4 speakers this is sufficient. (It also keeps the volume at "good-neighbor-policy" levels.) However, if I wanted to really get some serious dynamics or volume, I'd need waaaay more power or much more efficient speakers -- like your LaScalas.

Hope this helps...

Take care,

Scott

Your gonna need more than 10 watts for deafening levels even with Lascalas. A good 25-50 watts would be much more realistic if you want that much volume. have you considered maybe going with a hybrid?? Something like the Pathos Classic?? It uses a pair of 6922 for the pre-amp stage and has a SS output stage and puts out 70watt into 8ohms and 115 into 4ohms. Its made in Italy and is one of the most beautiful amps ive ever seen!! Just an idea, i have one on audition from my local dealer right now with my RF-7's and so far Im quite impressed it sounds very nice, has good tight SS bass and still is very smooth sounding like tubes. There are other Hybrids out there that are very good like the Unison Research Unico, Jolida 1501....ect Might be just what your looking for.

In keeping with "I will need it to play "In The City" (The Eagles off "The Long Run.") at almost deafening levels." my response would be "no." The ST70 seems a good amp for the task. I've heard the ST70 perform very well driving Forte-II and RF-7.

Leo

get a set of reworked dynaco mark3 mono blocks, craig at nos valves does awsome work i have heard a set he worked connected to a blueberry and they are awsome, or step on up to vrd's from craig every review of his vrd are outstanding i am currently waiting on a set of the vrd's and am running a st 70 with a blueberry now, and the 70 was also rebuilt by craig, i cannot comment on 10 watt or below amps but i know if you want the loud rock the monoblocks will put out more powerthan the 7010.gif Joe

On a serious note, once again this is an example of why this is my favorite audio web site. I appreciate the input greatly. I'll be selling a couple of componets lying around and picking up my Juicy preamplifier, now I think I know where I stand amplifier wise.

Regards,

Bill Woodward