Members Weekly Music Recommendations-June 6

thebes

I don't know where you are but here the sun has finally come out and it's shining on:

RichardP. Our latest Klipsch t-shirt winner and a fairly regular contributor to this thread. Congratulations and send me your mailing info.

The format's simple, name of artist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

The Royal Counts, "The Royal Counts Sing Acappella Soul", cd doo-***

Huh, what's the old geezer talking about now.

Well doo-*** and accapella are terms for what were basically urban street-corner singers that came into vouge in the mid 1950's to late 1960's.

Think Duke of Earl and you'll know what I mean. I've always had a warm spot in my heart for this music, the lyrics are usually about teen-age love but the harmonies on the better groups are pure heaven.

This particular cd was remastered from the original tapes, and unlike most of these remasters this one has resulted in superb sonics and imaging.

This is pure vocal harmony-no instruments and if you are in love with vocals you will be in love with this one.

So what do you have to share this week?

Spoon "Kill The Moonlight" - Indie rock LP.

Coldplay "X&Y" - Alternative softrock LP. (This is their best album to date. BY FAR)

At The Drive In "Anthology: This Station Is Non-Operational" - Progressive rock CD. (This was the original band before members split up to form Sparta and Mars Volta)

Alkaline Trio "Maybe I'll Catch Fire" - Punkrock CD.

Howie Day "Stop All The World Now" - Poprock DualDisc.

Michael Buble "It's Time" - Jazz/Male vocalist CD. (For lovers of Frank Sinatra, pick this up NOW)

Stephen Malkmus "Face The Truth" - Indierock LP.

Fall Out Boy "From Under The Cork Tree" - Indierock CD.

That's it. That's the list.

John Prine - "In Spite of Ourselves" 1999

Clever country style duets 'bout lovin, cheatin, losin, and leavin with several divas of country music including Iris DeMent, Trisha Yearwood, Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris, Melba Montgomery, and Fiona Prine.

My favorite artist this week is Jackie Green. A young 20 something that plays guitar, bass, drums, keyboards and harmonica and writes his own music.

His new CD is Sweet Somewhere Bound. He is part folk and part R&B.

It is so cliché to call someone playing this type music as a Bob Dylan type, but that who he kind of reminds me off. He isnt trying to be the next Dylan, but the music just has that feel to it.

When I bought this CD Friday I also bought Gone Wanderin which is also Very Good. He has another one in between these that I just wasnt that impressed with. Don't know what he was going for with this one.

Danny

Oh yea, Sputnik I also bought the new John Prime CD and its great. My favorite new one since "The Missing Years".

The new Van Morrison is good if you are a big Van fan. If you are just getting into him I think you will be let down and not understand what the big deal is about him.

Here's one from a genre that doesn't get much mention on this weekly thread.

"The New Hymnmakers" Vol 2. Stuart Townend.

Recorded and many of the great cathedrals in Great Britain. Great Choirs. Great Organs. (The organs sound great on big horns!)

Great new hymns written in the last decade by Stuart Townend.

There seems to be a good revival of hymn writing in the last several years. A move of away from the 3-7-11 chorus ditties that have dominated evangelical church music for the last dozen years. (3-7-11 song= 3 guitar chords, 7 words, repeated 11 times.9.gif )

This is an unexpected surprise! Thanks to Thebes for maintaining this great series of threads, and for the t-shirt. Also, thanks to all of you who offer your recommendations. I have made several purchases from your suggestions.

For this week, Our Lady Peace, "Gravity" 2002, CD, "alternative" (and therefore, mainstream?) rock; one track "Somewhere Out There" got airplay a year or two ago.

The new Van Morrison is good if you are a big Van fan. If you are just getting into him I think you will be let down and not understand what the big deal is about him.

----------------

I think this is Van's best since "The Healing Game"--its very good. Funny about him, though. Alot of people expect Brown Eyed Girl or Domino when they hear him, but he's not a hitmaker. He's a great blue-eyed soul-jazz-R&B stylist with excellent musicianship and no synths. He still sounds relevant to me -- "Magic Time", his latest, is seductive and melodic. The sound of the saxes is sumptuous.

I just got one of his old ones, "Veedon Fleece" from the mid 70's--great folky R&B.

If you haven't heard "Moondance" or "and his Band and Street Choir", that's definitely the place to start--you'll be hooked.

I saw him during the Healing Game tour and if you get him on a good night he is spectacular--he has a powerful concert voice and his band is stellar. But he can be diva-like--- The night before he only sang a few songs and walked off--the band played without him for the rest of the concert--

theryugobuddy

Totally agree with what you are saying about Van and his new CD.

Drove six hours to see him once and both him and the band were GREAT, but he didn't say a word. He did exactly what I paid the tickect for, but I kinda expected more from him. Was a great show.

Enlightenment is another CD I think is great once "So quite in here" starts.

Good to see another Van fan.

When people come over they always look at my CD collection and can't believe Van has so many CD's out and I have them. The only thing I don't have is his greatest hits.

Danny

----------------

On 6/7/2005 6:25:20 AM cluless wrote:

Ok Nic,

The Coldplay just released today, you got a secret source or what?
10.gif

----------------

Hehe, actually, MTV had this special the other day called "Live Leak" where Coldplay played their entire album live at the TRL studio in New York. So, I heard it all... And it's daaaaaaaaaamn good. Even for someone like me, who generally likes aggressive, angry music.

I'm also a big Morrison fan, starting from way back in "Them" days. "Here Comes The Night" was pretty advanced for the early days of rock and roll.

I have Moondance, Down the Road (very underated and cover here a few weeks back) and poor BDFlash, yes I have The Best of Van Morrison. Shoot me a PM and maybe a copy will mysteriously appear in your mailbox.

----------------

On 6/7/2005 7:41:38 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

Derek Trucks Band ...Soul Seranade

kinda crossover Jazz/Southern/ slide guitar ....

----------------

Is this Butch Trucks son?I've seen him and he is a good guitar slinger.

I'm gonna suggest some great blues/rock,Rory Gallagher/self titled remastered on Buddah records/cds.Rory has a large body of work but this is a great one to start with as its an early one.If you love the guitar or rock or blues you should know who/what Rory is,a legendary artist.

One more,Dread Zeppelin- Hot and Spicey Beanburger,if you can find it its great.If you haven't heard of Dread Zeppelin visit dreadzeppelin.com