Identity theft is bad enough, but this takes the cake!

m00n

That is so wrong on so many levels!

I am sure glad that I can trust my own mother with my finances.

I do like that last paragraph:

ordan said the bank, Northwest Community Credit Union in Eugene, was able to reimburse the soldier's money.

One of the reasons why I use the credit union instead of a "regular" bank. They just seem to have awesome customer service.

Nope, not me. Only time I go there is if I'm looking to buy something. Other than that, I don't spend any time in any groups/forums/chats or what other services they may have.

The Skeletor I found by simply doing a google search.

I know what it is to have such a member of the family. In essence, such occurrences have caused me to nearly not HAVE much "blood family" any more.

A particular sister is the crux of the problem, having perpetrated enough felony/larcenies on other members of family to spend life in jail. Trouble is, she hasn't spent a day behind bars.....and continues the pattern of deceit.

She was always good for "small stuff" younger in life - but she was so convincing as to make us believe that she either a) did not do it, or B) wouldn't ever accuse her of it due to lack of proof. Then she zoned in her radar on bigger thefts - with a twist.

Her first big ripoff involved stealing a check from Mother's checkbook and forging her signature for $1500. This particular sister blamed 3 other people for being the thief. The bank admitted fault for cashing the check, and was therefore "on the hook" for the $1500, pending the police investigation. That investigation proved through handwriting analysis who the thief was - my sister. I saw the investigative paperwork/copy of the check, and didn't need handwriting analysis to know who did it.

That sister used the ultimate wedge to keep my mother from pressing charges. She asked Mother: "Who is going to raise/take care of my children?" The bank had positive proof that the sister had written the check, but would not refund Mother the $1500 unless Mother agreed to press charges.

My mother refused to press charges.

Fast forward ten years. During the planning of a reunion of a long lost brother, I discover another fraud that makes the first one look like small change.

It turns out that said sister had perpetrated an identity theft to the tune of $7000, on her HUSBAND'S BROTHER. Furthermore, she obtained that information from files at her husband's insurance job, where the sister also worked part time. Sister gets fired - and if not for 20 years of perfect service, the husband would have been fired, too. Sister pleads guilty to identity theft and is forced to refinance thier home for an additional $17,000: $7000 reimbursement, and $10,000 in fines to avoid jail time.

The pattern/M.O. here is that she rips off those closest to her, in order to minimize the penalty if and when she gets caught. Said sister is of such a personality to endear her to several of "the elders" in the family (or at least what few remain), and seems to get the "writeoff/OK" from them in regards to her crimes. She will go to ANY ends necessary to "get back" at someone......ask another sister, who had the misfortune of having the Department of Children and Family Services dispatched to her home because of a false accusation the original "thief" sister made. It took 6 months to prove there was no issue - but that's hard to explain to a state child protection agency.

Normally, I am in "avoid" mode with most of my family. This worked really well for several years, until we were notified just over a year ago that we had a long lost brother that was looking for us. The agency who searched for the brother's birth family (us) contacted the "thief" sister to notify us that he was looking for his birth family. That letter put the "thief" sister in charge - all communication from the agency went through the "thief". Imagine, then, that the brother then met with said "thief" sister for 2 days - December 24th and 25th, without telling the rest of the siblings (when it was agreed amongst all of us that first meeting would involve ALL siblings). The unknowing brother became emotionally attached/bonded to the "thief" sister, and now assumes that her version of family life is correct.

Those of you who have loving and caring family, give them a hug, and consider yourselves fortunate. A loving blood family is not a "given" here. At least I do have a sibling who sees "the real", and many close friends who care about me more than most blood family does. Blood isn't necessarily thicker than water.....but the truth is rock solid......and will set you free.