Reccomend some blues to me

BobbyT

The Blues are simply great. A hecka of a lot of 60's rock took their inspiration fromt the Blues-people like the Stones, Van Morrison, The Animals etc.

Here's acouple of more to consider:

Sun House (delta blues), Bobby Blue Bland (soul/blues)

Robert Cray, Leon Russell, Albert King, T-bone Walker, Muddy Waters, Billie Holliday, Corey Harris, Root Boy Slim, Doug MacLeod, and for movie tracks Ry Cooder's Crossroads and The Blues Brothers.

Try Charles Brown's A Life In The Blues. It is a DVD and CDA of a live show he did in a venue called Lone Star, in New York. He was a classical music piano player and taught chemisty in south Texas. Not his bag, he moved to L.A. in the 40's and started playing the bar scene. He was in a group called Johnny Moore's Three Blazers when they has a hit called Driftin' Blues. That was the start. Early Ray Charles was often compared to Charles Brown. The piano solos on I Stepped in Quicksand and When the Sun Comes Out are spectacular. I believe he wrote Please Come Home For Christmas. He did a great duet with Bonnie Raitt on his tune Merry christmas Baby. This is a great DVD. You will not be sorry. And if you like this, check some other music of the L.A. 40's scene, like Amos Milburn and Wynonie Harris.

Cheers!

Another very fun blues band is J Geils. The guys that did "Freeze Frame" and "Centerfold" were a driving blues outfit live.

They had two great live albums--"Full House" and "Blow your Face Out" in the 70's that rock with the blues. Great harp by a guy named Magic Dick and guitar and Peter Wolf was a wildman upfront.

They were a rock band that played alot of r&b and blues songs--

I keep coming back to this subject-- 'sall good--

The first two albums by the Butterfield Blues Band cannot be beat--the first one is a classic.

Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop on guitar with Butterfield on harp--the beats and bass go deep--

Another great place to start--old Chicago blues.

Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign or Blues At Sunrise

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

Albert Collins - Cold Snap or Ice Pickin

Tab Benoit - Nice And Warm

Albert Collins, Johnny Copeland, Robert Cray - Showdown

For some freebies, go to garageband.com, select blues, all time best, and start listening. I have at least 200 excellent blues songs on my pc, and have bought some cd's by artists I never would have heard of otherwise.

One excellent Blues CD I just purchased after discovering it on Garageband.con and highly recommend is Smiling Jack Smith - Three Seconds To Love Me.

Best, doug

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple from my favorite New Orleans Blues Man - Johnny Adams - known as "The Tan Canary":

Room With a View of the Blues - with Dr. John, Duke Robillard and Walter "Wolfman" Washington.

Walking on a Tightrope - all songs on the cd composed by Percy Mayfield

From the Heart - collection of Doc Pomus, John Hiatt, and Dr. John songs - among others

Man of My Word - the crossed fingers on the cd cover says it all! The backup band is reminisent of the Stax and Muscle Shoals groups from the 60's and 70's

Good Morning Heartache - regarded as Johnny Adams' first jazz recording (but all his blues recordings are very jazzy).

All available on Rounder Records.

James

Another favorite is a more contemporary blues band -- Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise. Their first four CDS are fantastic in a Blues/R&B/pop vein. "Time to Discover" is their best one but the second and third one are very very good, too. I've seen these guys and they rock live.

Robert is blind, and he was discovered late in life when he was heard singing outside a window by some musicians/producers and they invited him to sing for them, and ended up backing him. He's a great writer and singer--

Great guitar, but no guitar **** a rama--

----------------

On 6/13/2005 7:45:44 PM edwinr wrote:

Muddy Waters - 'Folk Singer'

BB King - 'Riding with the King'

Anything from John Lee Hooker

Anything from Keb Mo

Also Eric Bibb and Blues Traveller

----------------

edwinr,

On that recommendation I picked up a couple of Keb Mo discs at the used disc store the other day. I had never heard Keb Mo, but man oh man... really good stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Woo

• 4 weeks later...