Reccomend some blues to me

BobbyT

Old Stuff:

Lightnin Hopkins, Leadbelly, Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Albert King, Freddy King, old Buddy Guy all have greatest hits out that kick A**.

Try Aligator Records anniversary collection. Cant remember the exact title but it has some great jams on it. 2 or 3 CD set I think.

Newer stuff:

Keb Mo, SRV, Walter Trout, Jeff Healey etc.

Old country blues --Any Mississippi John Hurt, or Robert Johnson's "King of the Delta Blues"

Chicago Blues--"Chicago-The Blues-Now!" A three disc set--absolutely can't miss with these, "Stand Back" by Charlie Musselwhite, and I love all of Muddy Waters albums produced by Johnny Winter on the Blue Sky label "I'm Ready" with James Cotton on harp is incredible.

I like Big Walter Horton on harp alot more than Little Walter. "Fine Cuts" is great but hard to find.

Bobby Blue Bland is a fantastic blues singer, chitlin' circuit style --"Two Steps from the Blues" is great, and his 50's-60's anthologies are great. Listen to the song "Little Boy Blue" and you'll be hooked on him.

The best guitar blues is a band of Indians called Indigenous--most of their albums aren't the best, but the licks on "Live at Pachyderm Studios" will blow you away. Like SRV but faster and more furious throughout.

SRV, greatest hits albums are better than his regular ones, but "Texas Flood" is damn good.

The best old English blues album I've heard is Fleetwood Mac's "Pious Bird of Good Omen". Sorry Clapton fans.

Other names you have to investigate if you like the blues are Lightnin' Hopkins, Champion Jack Dupree, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James, Roy Buchanan, and Jimmy Reed.

My favorite guys out there doing blues now is the North Mississippi All-Stars--

And there's so many more good blues CDs to listen to--

Just a couple

Buddy Guy - 'As Good As It Gets'

Junior Wells - 'Live at Buddy Guy's Legends'

Keb Mo 'The Door' available on SACD stereo

John Lee Hooker 'The Healer'

SRV 'Live at Carnegie Hall '& 'Texas Flood' in SACD

Tab Benoit (more Cajun Blues) 'Wetlands'

----------------

On 6/13/2005 11:55:40 PM wheelman wrote:

----------------

On 6/13/2005 11:48:56 PM theryugobuddy wrote:

The best old English blues album I've heard is Fleetwood Mac's "Pious Bird of Good Omen". Sorry Clapton fans

----------------

I just may have to check this one out. Lindsey on the guitar?

----------------

No--Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, and Danny Kirwan. Sounds like an updated Elmore James/Hooker/Waters.

Fleetwood Mac actually started long before Lindsey and Stevie joined them (if you can find that album--Buckingham Nicks--its got some great songs on it and great Buckingham guitar solos) in the early 60's. Peter Green started them and lead the band until he went insane. They were seminal blues/pop with Fleetwood and McVie (not Christina-yet) backing up alot of different guitarists and singers before they went huge in the mid 70's with Buckingham and Nicks.

Peter Green has put out some albums lately--I haven't heard any of them.

"Pious Bird of Good Omen" is like a hits album of early blues by them. "Black Magic Woman", etc.

Tower Records was selling "Shoebox Full Of Blues", an 18 disc collection of various artists from House of Blues for $21. I picked one up last week and it is very good. This way it will give you a little taste of everything, or at least the artists included in the collection.