Members Weekly Music Recommendations-June 13

thebes

Getting this up a little later than usual due to a rainstorm on the way home. Pretty lively focus last week on two completly different musical genres-just another indication that this is a worthwhile ongoing topic.

On a personal note I picked up Herb Albert's Whipped Cream this weekend after literally passing over hundreds of other chances to get this lp over the last year. Haven't listened to it yet but I'm game. Thanks guys.

The format's simple, name of artist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Carla Cook, "Simply Natural" cd, jazz

Grammy nominated, superbly controlled jazz vocalist. This set is very much mellow yellow, almost background music. Sweet, tuneful, but you won't be dancing around the room. Gotta love that voice, though, and very well recorded. Definetly just the thing to accompany a brandy and a good book.

So what do you have to share?

Wheelman, you're referring to Foo Fighter's "In Your Honor." A 2-disc (or 4 LP) set. It's already available on acousticsounds, and will probably hit the shelves tomorrow.

All I can recommend today is--

Mogwai "EP + 2" - progressive/experimental instrumental synth/distortion pedal-laden rock CD.

For any other Mogwai fans out there, they've announced a new album sometime in 2006. The same year Radiohead and Muse will release their new albums too!

Andreas Vollenweider, "White Winds", NewAge, CD

While normally found in the NewAge area this CD is not really NewAge.

Vollenweider is actually pop, jazz, and classical.

One of the best songs Vollenweider ever did is on the White Winds CD.

3. 'Glass Hall (Choose The Crystal), The / Play Of The Five Balls, The / Five Planets, The / Canopy Choir'

Tomorrow 06/14/05 Andreas Vollenweider is releasing a new CD.

Magic Harp: The Very Best of Andreas Vollenweider

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/vollenweider_andreas/artist.jhtml

Andreas Vollenweider was one of the few musicians to gain superstar status as a "new age artist" back when the term was first used as a marketing category in the mid-'80s.

The Swiss harpist, however, quickly transcended the need for alternative record sales when his albums simultaneously broached Billboard's pop, jazz, and classical charts in 1986. Born in Zurich in 1953, Vollenweider was ensconced in the city's fine art scene, courtesy of his father, one of Europe's leading organists. After becoming proficient on guitar, flute, and other instruments, the young Vollenweider developed a passion for the harp, which he modified to suit his needs. Not only did he construct a damper to expedite more rhythmic playing, he broadened the harp's tonal range by electrifying it. His buoyant funk beats, exotic pan-cultural influences, and colorful harp improvisations began to sweep Europe in the early '80s as Vollenweider signed with CBS Records to release Behind the Gardens...Behind the Wall. Three albums later, he won his first Grammy for 1987's Down to the Moon.

Over the years, Vollenweider has managed to maintain his artistic integrity and vision despite increasing commercial success. The harpist's 1991 album Book of Roses is a testament to his ability to expand his scope as a composer while keeping his trademark sound intact; after a lenghty hiatus, he issued Kryptos in 1998, followed two years later by Cosmopoly. ~ Linda Kohanov, All Music Guide

Greg

DOC GIBBS & PICANTE', "Servin' it up HOT", JAZZ Baby!!!, CD

I really like song #2 "Hilda's Lullaby". Great ZAZZ that sounds smooth as ZAZZ should be.

I actually bought the CD when I picked up a set of steak knives and some other items for my wife from the Food Network.

http://www.smooth-jazz.de/Artists4/Gibbs.htm

Doc Gibbs is one of the most sought after percussionists in the music industry today. Whether he's recording, touring or kickin' it up a notch with Emeril Lagasse. Doc musically operates on an audience with funky rhythms and with his vast assortment of traditional and unusual percussion instruments.

Doc received his so-called "Doc"-torate from the late, legendary jazz saxophonist, Grover Washington, Jr. While recording Grover's Live at the Bijou album in 1976, Grover acknowledged Doc for prescribing an herbal remedy for a nasty cold that Grover was suffering from the night before taping. Over night, Leonard Gibbs became Doc when Grover announced to his audience, "...There are two doctors in Philly...Dr.J (of the 76ers) and Doctor Gibbs." A nickname that appropriately describes a musician who truly performs with the precision of a surgeon.

Doc's love of hand drums and percussion instruments began in the early seventies, when he left the Pennsylvania Academy of Fines Art to pursue his real dream - a career as a master percussionist. Early in his career, Doc immediately caught the attention of the music industry's top artists, to include George Benson, Nancy Wilson, Bob James, Al Jarreau send Anita Baker, to name a few. Most recently, Doc's percussive reputation has placed him in the studio with Wyclef Jean, Erykah Badu, Eric Benet and hot r&b producer, James Poyser, among others.

BAM!!! The icing on the cake for Doc came in 1997, when he became the musical director for Emeril Live! -- The hottest cooking show on the cable Food Network (TVFN). Doc has been beating it up to a Manhattan television studio to add his funky flavors of hand drums and signature percussion instruments for a little extra spice into the pots of cooking guru, Emeril Lagasse.

" Doc has brought a new dimension to solidifying an element to the show...a relationship, a sound, a movement."

-Emeril Lagasse, "The Making of Emeril" TV Special (TVFN)

Doc is also an elected member of the Board of Governors of N.A.R.A.S. (National Association of Recording Artists and Sciences), Philadelphia chapter.

He performs drum workshops for children with Young Audiences of Eastern Pennsylvania and the Strings for Schools Organizations.

His new album, "Servin' It Up! Hot!" , has been nationally released in June 2002.

On Docs debut album, Doc Gibbs & Picante - Servin It Up! Hot! he has invited more of his friends to join him. Servin It Up is boasting the artistry of contemporary jazz recording artist, Gerald Abright on saxophone, guitarist, Felicia Collins of The David Letterman Late Night Band, jazz violinist, John Blake (Locksmith) bassist, Gerald Veasley (Heads up Records), and the incomparable jazz vocalist, Jon Lucien.

Servin It Up is a magical journey of live musicians that is sure to satisfy the appetite of an audience which has been waiting for this highly anticipated musical project. The album was produced by Doc Gibbs, and co-writing all of the songs on the cd, is Cliff Starkey, his musical partner on the Emeril Live Show. The lush song, Salvador Bahia, was written by producer/drummer, Ted Thomas Jr. And Jon Lucien performs his soulful brand of vocal styling on this beautiful ballad that will bathe you in the tropical rhythms of Brazil. Gerald Albrights funky style of play is cool and captivating on the. tune, Seven Up, Six Down. Felicia Collins rocks her guitar on the hard driving groovilicious tune, Starline and with his keyboards, Cliff Starkey tells a pretty story on the composition, Hildas Lullaby.

Doc Gibbs solo debut, Servin It Up, is a plate full of live funky rhythms that will take you on delicious musical journey that will certainly leave you asking for seconds!

Greg

notforkidsonly.jpg

"Not For Kids Only" - David Grisman and Jerry Garcia

My wife teaches first grade and the kiddies love this as much as we do. Clean and clever renditions of old folk songs. Very well recorded - I discovered that the Jew's harp sounds great on my system. There a few old ballads that are just beautifully done such as "When First Unto This Country" and "Shenandoah". This CD is a gem.

post-17394-13819266476986_thumb.jpg

I just bought Oasis Don't Believe the Truth, I really enjoy the CD great lyrics/music listened straight through multiple times very enjoyable. Mucky fingers is by far my favorite track on the cd, these british boys know how to produce hits! There music always has somewhat of a Beatles feel but with there own twist.

My order just came in when I got home tonight.

These CD's are even better than I thought they would be.

The re-mastered sound it great. I mean really great.

I love a crisp clean sounding horn.

Listening to Herb Alpert in full digital is wonderful!

Four of the five were newly re-mastered this year!

This is some of the greatest music every recorded.

Herb Alpert:

Definitive Hits

Release Date 3/27/2001

The Lonely Bull (Digi-Pak) (Remaster)

Release Date 2/8/2005

Whipped Cream & Other Delights (40th Anniversary Edition) (Digi-Pak) (Remaster)

Release Date 4/19/2005

What Now My Love

Release Date 6/7/2005

South Of The Border (Digi-Pak) (Remaster)

Release Date 2/8/2005

Greg

This is something cool that I found while I was picking up Dream Theater's newest album:

Asia - Archiva I & II

I've always been a long time fan of Asia and was pretty excited to find this two disk set. Sounds very clean on my system, with some great tracks. I've thought I've heard everything by Asia, until I found this! 10.gif

For some reason I've been in a country state of mind this week. So here goes:

Lee Ann Womack: "Greatest Hits" - DualDisc - Country

This is good contemporary country. Favorite track "I Hope You

Dance". The surround mix was pretty good.

Reba McEntire: "Room To Breathe" - CD - Country

Most listened to track "My Sister". My oldest daughter is

getting married on June 26th. My youngest daughter wants this

song played and dedicated to her at the wedding reception.

What makes it real special is that they are actually

step-sisters but never looked at it that way. I have a hunch

June 26th is going to be an emotional roller coaster for Dad.

Hank Williams, Jr.: "The Bocephus Box" - 3 CD Set - Classic Country

I guess I was just in the mood for "All My Rowdy Fiends Are

Coming Over" and "Born To Boogie". Hank does alot of good

cover songs on this set such as Warren Zevon's "Lawyers,

Guns And Money".

Chuck Berry: "Gold" - 2 CD Set - Oldies - Nay - Make That Timeless

OK, so Johnny B. Goode was a country boy. Elvis got all the

kudos, but Chuck really supplied all the building blocks for

rock and roll. He had the lyrics and the guitar licks. He

combined alot of music styles - Country, R&B, Blues. And let's

not forget that duck walk. There's narry a bad track on this

set (We'll forget "My Ding-A-Ling"). All tracks are remastered.

Great sound quality.

----------------

On 6/14/2005 11:01:16 AM dbflash wrote:

theryugobuddy

Nice recommendation

Roy Buchanan is so over looked.

Another favorite of mine is Live Stock.

Again if you have never heard any of his stuff Sweet Dreams would be a very good choice.

Danny

----------------

Live Stock is great--if you like that, Made In Japan is just a little better. Hard to find though--I got it from a eBayer in Russia. A couple of the songs off it are on the "Sweet Dreams" set.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4781ED94FAA7720D09A3A56D0A174FD29CA42F79E1F224B4C92A723068E027BFD5DF98590F4B92CE735A9E02FA2450DD3CAEB1AF9D6643A378DEDB61145&sql=10:yvdkylo4xpeb

You like any of his Alligator output? I got "Hot Wires" which has a couple good songs and the rest is an embarrassment. A girl's vocals on one song just plain stinks--so I haven't ventured further inot his Alligator stuff--

My wife got me some CDs for my birthday.

The new Coldplay is excellent, both musically and sonically.

Mike Doughty's new one "Haughty Melodic" is really good, too. It's the got the great lyrics and rythym of the Soul Coughing material, but with a more straightforward setting.

theryugobuddy

I will try and find Live in Japan.

I never did buy any alligator copies of his stuff, but now after reading your reply i do not think i will.

On albums I only have:

Roy Buchanan

Second Album

Live Stock

CD:

Live Stock

Sweet Dreams

Millennium Collection (Bought it for Filthy Teddy).

I don't play his stuff everyday, but every couple of months I'll play something by him and think why don't i play him more.

Once you heard him you can pick out his stuff from the first note.

Keep those recommendations coming.

Danny

Hey luvdrummin' - if you like Lee Ann Womack's Greatest Hits you should check it out on SACD!! I have had it for a couple of months and absolutly love it! The content is great and the surround mix is fantastic. Definitly one of my favorite SACD's to date!

Brahms, Hungarian Dances, Classical, CD

Composer: Brahms, Johannes

Conductor: Alfred Scholz / London Festival Orchestra

Title: Ungarische Tanze Nr. 1-21 / Hungarian Dances 1-21

© 1988 PMG Pilz Media Group - CD 160 201

Made in W. Germany

VERY RARE

For many years a lot of my Classical collection has been stored away.

At some point in my past I lost my good sound system and until I got my Klipsch setup I really saw no need to play anything Classical.

Really Classical is the ultimate test for any audiophile.

Classical pieces by Dmitri Shostakovich and Antonin Dvorák for example are very soft in many places but you have to be ready for the big bang when the music changes.

To hear that note flying high above ever so softly you need Klipsch!

Greg