OK, what's the story with asparagus...

ben.

why asparagus causes urine to have a unique odor:

Asparagus is filled with sulfur-containing amino acids that break down during digestion into six sulfur-containing compounds. These can impart a unique smell to urine as they are excreted. "It's the same sulfur group that makes skunks smell," says Barbara Hodges, a dietician with Boston University's nutrition clinic, the Evans Nutrition Group.

Scientists remain divided on why people have different urinary responses to eating asparagus. One camp thinks only about half of the population have a gene enabling us to break down the sulfurous amino acids in asparagus into their smellier components. Others think that everyone digests asparagus the same way, but only about half of us have a gene that enables us to smell the specific compounds formed in the digestion of asparagus.

How is it that we can solve this, but we can't solve the cable issue?2.gif

Cool. Just in case, I'll keep picky's theory in mind...

My preferred recipe: drizzle the asparagus with olive oil, and generously season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat until al dente. Should go pretty quick. Watch your eyebrows with the flare-ups, though. A little charring on the tips of the asparagus is good, though.

First time I really experienced this was at an Asparagus fest somewhere in Germany. I love that country, many excuses to tap a keg. It was fresh white aparagus and after a few trips to a beer tent here and there, wwwoooooahhh, what a smell

Candied asparagus: Use thin pencil asparagus. Place in skillet cover with H2O and begin to boil. Add a good chunk of butter. Add real maple syrup. Boil until H2O evaporates. The asparagus dehydrates though retaining shape and takes up the syrup which gets slightly carmalized with the butter. The spears are actually crunchy when eaten. Bon appetite!!2.gif

----------------

On 6/15/2005 2:17:23 PM rplace wrote:

Kingpin?

Neighbor: Hey Roy, can you get sick from drinking piss?

Roy: I think you can.

Neighbor: Even if its your own?

what is my prize?

----------------

Wow that was good, even with my lame quote being wrong. What's your prize? Gosh there are so many smart @ss answers to that question that would be good here, but I can't. Congrats on the Scott tube amp.

Had dinner at my place once. I was volunteered to help prepare. Father in law told me he always skins the asparagus to get the nubs off.

FIL has arthritis and is slow. Relative to him, Im fast & furious.

I took his advice to heart (having never prepared it before) and skinned them just like you might a carrot. I ALSO skinned the nub at the end off.

I was WIZZING through them and had about ½ of them done.

Imagine the horror of my father in law when he saw the sharpened pencil sticks I was so quickly piling up.

Little did I know at the time that the tips (which I so skillfully shaved off into a point) was the best part.

They do not allow me to help prepare the asparagus anymore.

11.gif

----------------

On 6/15/2005 2:03:46 PM jacksonbart wrote:

Name the movie that this line is from?

“Hey Roy, will drinking your own urine make you sick?”

----------------

I kid you not: A science teacher at my kid's middle school drinks her own urine. Another science teacher told her. Apparently, it's pretty good for you.

----------------

On 6/15/2005 6:39:13 PM fini wrote:

----------------

On 6/15/2005 2:03:46 PM jacksonbart wrote:

Name the movie that this line is from?

“Hey Roy, will drinking your own urine make you sick?”

----------------

I kid you not: A science teacher at my kid's middle school drinks her own urine. Another science teacher told her. Apparently, it's pretty good for you.

----------------

Well if the science teacher is into golden showers, they can just keep thier mouth open.

That can't be true.

My grandpa always said to pee on your feet when you're in the shower, prevents athlete's foot (sure enough, many popular cures have uric acid in them). Grandpa was smart like that. I think he just liked showing his grandboys how to pee in the shower! Mom was horrified!

----------------

On 6/15/2005 6:02:35 PM Coytee wrote:

Had dinner at my place once. I was volunteered to help prepare. Father in law told me he always “skins” the asparagus to get the nubs off.

FIL has arthritis and is slow. Relative to him, I’m fast & furious.

I took his advice to heart (having never prepared it before) and skinned them just like you might a carrot. I ALSO skinned the “nub” at the end off.

I was WIZZING through them and had about ½ of them done.

Imagine the horror of my father in law when he saw the sharpened pencil sticks I was so quickly piling up.

Little did I know at the time that the tips (which I so skillfully shaved off into a point) was the best part.

They do not allow me to help prepare the asparagus anymore.

11.gif

----------------

rofl! I would have strangled YOU!