The Perfect Heritage Starter System

edwinr

There's been lots of talk in this Forum about starter systems for prospective Klipsch owners. Most of the recommendations relate to the purchase of used Klipsch loudspeakers.

For those that want to get into the whole horn thing, without resorting to old, and possibly unreliable equipment, I recommend the following.

Loudspeakers:

Klipsch Heresy 2. Buy brand new. Nothing can compete with the new Klipsch smell as you unpack. You can specify the wood finish when you order. You get reliability and loudspeakers that perform to manufacturer's specs. The speakers come with angled floor risers. They work best placed on the floor about 18 inches (in my room) from the wall and facing towards you. I've tried stands, but the bass response is compromised.

Amplifiers:

Go solid state to start with, and staying with the theme of buying brand new, try the NAD C320BEE integrated amplifer. This amp offers a liquid sound with very low noise. It's almost tube like in that it's not harsh and compliments the Heresy very well. If you have more money, the Creek 50i integrated sounds good too. With even more money, the Naim Nait 5i is unbeatable, but the NAD isn't far behind.

Source:

It's got to be a dedicated CD player. Try the NAD 520i or the slightly more expensive NAD 540i. Superb sounding CD players that beat most lower priced DVD/CD player combinations hands down. Plus you get proper track selection and programming facilities.

Cables:

Don't go silly. Go to Radio Shack.

The sound?

Just stupendous. This system will blow most systems away that cost two to three times more. I've had neighbors and friends listen to this setup and without fail, they have all admitted they've overspent on more expensive systems.

Other pluses?

Fantastic WAF. Especially when you factor in cost. The system is easy to upgrade, and if you wish to go multi channel later, the Heresys will be great rear/centre channel options. You could also add a dedicated DVD player for movies and a good sub if you wish. The Klipsch RW-12 is an option, but the Heresys really deserve the RSW-12.

Edwinr,

Interesting post. Indeed most of the entry level suggestions do call for purchase of used vintage gear. What would the prices run for the parts and system you suggest?

There something to be said about doing it right the first time.

Edwin,

Great advice. My "daytime" system consists of Heresys and an SW-15 sub (the predecessor to the RSW-15). Powered by a modded Jolida 302B and Bottlehead Foreplay pre, I sometimes forget which system I am listening to. It's that good.

Rick

Perfect and audio do not mix well. Whats perfect for one person is not perfect for another.

The heritage starter system that I assembled for my son consists of the following:

Heresy speakers from eBay ~$300 (including shipping);

H/K 430 receiver from eBay ~$75 (including shipping); and

Magnavox/Philips CD player free from brother-in-law.

If anyone can put together a better system for less than $500, Ive yet to hear it.

While buying used speakers is not for everyone, it has never scared me. If an unmodified Klipsch heritage speaker works at all, it probably works as well as the day it was made, and will continue to do so long after we've gone to our rewards. The tweeter (the part most likely to be failed and to go unnoticed by a hard of hearing seller) is easily and inexpensively repaired.

edwinr,

very good advice.

start small, stay with the system for awhile and then grow.

listen to the music and not the system.

don't get caught up in the upgrade fever. just because something cost's 5 times more than you paid doen't mean you are going to get 5 times better sound.

the main thing is to enjoy your system.

danny

Though I have owned a klipsch sub for over ten years and have enjoyed a buddy's K'horns, I consider myself pretty new to Klipsch.

I recently had to replace my lightning damaged computer speakers and picked up a new ProMedia 2.1 system for real cheap . . . WOW! little babies ROCK pretty hard ... I actually enjoyed listening to them for about 2 hrs with my mouth hanging open, they are THAT much better then the sorry harmon/kardon setup that came with the dell.

Well, it wasn't more then a couple days before I started eye balling the little polk bookshelf monitors and center channel in the living room . . . (small, maybe 12 x 14)

While I really would have loved to pull the trigger on a nice pair of Chorus II's that I looked at but space, and my wife, wouldn't really alow that.

I instead bought a new pair of RB-35 and an RC-35 . . . I'm sure there are plenty of folks who wouldn't consider my sony str de-965 but the new speakers totally tranformed the entire listening experiance . . . INCREDIBLE!

This one bugged me for awhile until I realized what it was: a Heritage system, except it had to be new. And then ignoring years of advice recommending Denon as one of the better solid-state receivers to match with super-sensitive horns, he recommends NAD.

While I love the sound of big ole horns, part of their enormous appeal is that they do sell very cheap while not really suffering any major deterioration (except maybe the exposed crossovers).

I say if somebody is starting out with Heritage, they should also start with refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifiers, or new ones like the Cayin TA30 or the ASL models. Why? Because HORNS love tubes.

Go solid-state with big ole horns, but not use great-sounding vintage bargains like the harmon kardon twin powered series is utter folly.

10.gif

Diz, thats about exactly what I have in my gallery right now. 2 Heresies cost $300 from Forum member, HK 430 $85 including shipping from eBay, just using a walkman type CD player, but also use great HK fm tuner.

It's generally a background music setup, but occasionally I play jazz or classical at quite substantial levels on this little system.

Total cost $385

Sound- smooth, timeless and priceless

Michael

I agree with him on the NAD C541i or better get the C542 I did and it is great. I have a NAD C540 that I used with my first pair of Klipsch speakers, Heresys and a Luxman reciever. The combo is very good. If anyone want a NAD C540 cheap?

Xman

----------------

On 6/16/2005 2:41:06 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

2 Heresies cost $300 from Forum member, HK 430 $85 including shipping from eBay, just using a walkman type CD player, but also use great HK fm tuner.

Total cost $385

Sound- smooth, timeless and priceless

Michael
----------------

Great minds think alike.

I acknowledge that you can do a starter system much cheaper. And there are some great used bargains out there. This Forum offers good advice for those interested in following this path.

I've also purposesly avoided the tube scenario. Some of the used tube amplifier options require patience, some knowledge, and the willingness to tinker or repair.

My suggestion is for thoses that want to buy new. Not everyone wants to venture into the unknown - at first.

I like Denon products. And lots of other brands. I just thought the NAD brand was an easy recommendation that sounds really good with the Heresys. You can buy this stuff brand new with a manufacturer's warranty (Yeah, I know. You can buy a used tube classic for the same price).

And lets give some support to those that want to buy a new Klipsch Heritage product. I've tried it, and I like the feeling VERY much. 1.gif

"If anyone can put together a better system for less than $500, Ive yet to hear it."

5 dollar JVC AS-5 integrated amp, with some re-capping with parts on hand.

Toshiba 3950, 60 bucks.

Some homebrew speaker cabinets, 3 1/2, 4 feet internal volume, 10 bucks with another 30 or so in bracing and damping and other work.

12" Utah/Realistic "Americana" coaxials with a cone tweeter and a whizzer cone. (The cone tweeters are unhooked.)

One NOS from eBay for 40 bucks, the other was 25 bucks from my audio buddie, and just as good of shape.

A pair of Selenium slot tweeters to use on top instead of the cone tweeters, from eBay for 27 bucks.

Two 2 mic oil caps and L-pads, parts on hand....

Dunno if it's "better", but ain't bad for under 200 bucks.

I've heard a HK 330B, and I like the old Harmon Kardon sound over the JVC, the JVC sounds pretty good though.

Kinda mundane on the Cornwalls, though it can really romp.

It seems way better on the Homebrew speakers....strange...

My Mitsubishi DA-R15 receiver sounded rather nice with the Cornwalls, but it died.

I heard some Hereseys once, I dunno if it they were bad speakers with wanked x-overs or what, they were screechy with no bass. Wasn't terribly impressed, I think I can assume that the homebrew 2-way abortion sounds better than that particular pair of Klipsch.

Everybody needs a good 5 dollar amp......

Source:

It's got to be a dedicated CD player. Try the NAD 520i or the slightly more expensive NAD 540i. Superb sounding CD players that beat most lower priced DVD/CD player combinations hands down.

Edwin;

I like the premise of the thread.

Cambridge Audio dedicated CD seemed like a good bargain for the technology.

Cambridge Audio

Azur 540C CD Player

for about $ 350

Jittery digital in Klipsch has become an obsession for me. Fingers on a chalk board.

Rotel entry level integrated amplifier sounded good with RB-75 in a recent demo I heard.

The latest NAD CD players are designated the 522 and the 542 respectively. They are merely model upgrades and should sound the same.

I haven't heard the Cambridge Audio prodicts. I've heard some good things though. I'm not too sure about the Rotel range. I thought this brand tended toward a slightly lean sound and may not suit Heresys.

I know we could recommend some really cheap garage stuff to prospective buyers. But many people just don't want ancient looking hi-fi in their sitting rooms. I don't doubt we could get lucky and cobble some old equipment together and get an okay sound. But that's not what this thread's about.

We really should keep this to new components.

Nutcases like us will take a chance on 40 year old stuff all to often.

Marantz has an entry level stereo integrated amplifier I do not have a chance to listen to. "SR" HT receivers from Marantz I have heard in past 5 years were exceptional.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Note to EVERYONE!

We neglect the RB-5II and RB-75.

RB-75 is better wife acceptance factor(WAF) than Heresey.

I cannot recall the low end of the RB-75 but I bet it gives the Heresey II a run for its money.