Sony's new ES receivers are out...

kenratboy

They get away with it because there are still a lot of people around, people like me -- who don't know enough about HT/multichannel to know the difference. I actually have no idea what 2 in/1 out component video switching is!

I own a DA5ES and also have no idea what you just said. Mine does movies great but I won't play music through it unless it's music DVDs which also sound great for some reason. 2-channel and 5.1 SACD sound horrible compared to the 299b that sits next to it.

I paid about $700 for it new. I suppose I could have done better (listed for about $1400) but I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference.15.gif

I have a DA555ES and I don't know what it means either. But of course my video on that system is a 1982 sony 25 inch console with only a coax conection. No remote. Bought it in 1982 with our wedding money.

PS you Sony ES users. I bought my receiver used and got a pfd manuel. I have looked and tried every way but I can't find how to set my bass frequency below 100 hz. When I go to surround edit I can set the bass frequency of fronts, center or rears from 100 to any thing higher but not lower. Am I doing something wrong or is that the nature of the beast. Maybe it is time to go to Denon 3805 or something. Still only 5.1.

----------------

On 6/22/2005 7:08:22 AM merkin wrote:

PS you Sony ES users. I bought my receiver used and got a pfd manuel. I have looked and tried every way but I can't find how to set my bass frequency below 100 hz. When I go to surround edit I can set the bass frequency of fronts, center or rears from 100 to any thing higher but not lower. Am I doing something wrong or is that the nature of the beast. Maybe it is time to go to Denon 3805 or something. Still only 5.1.

----------------

Put me down as not having a clue what that means, either. I have the DA5ES. Are we proving your point? 9.gif

I'm not sure about the DA555ES, but mine has that IRRITATING equalizer curve that allows you to adjust the overall curve for bass, mid, and highs. I can slide my frequency down a little ways below 100 hz (maybe 63 hz?). I have finally dialed in the EQ for my center channel after months of tinkering...

The ES does great for movies. It leaves much to be desired for music. I use a seperate BSR EQ4000 for music. That makes the ES sound decent and it is VERY easy to adjust. Love those memory present for the EQ.

I think it will make a decent pre-amp in the future.

not even a hint of HDMI in sight???

oh I own a STR-DE model as well, and emmm.. it gets the job done, but for the price, you can't ask anything more.

But on the ES $1k model, you would think they would have put more component inputs in after 5 years (hell, my El Cheapo I bought in 2000 has 2-1 component switching)

merkin,

I'm not really sure what settings you are talking about. I can say that on a DA333ES if you set a speaker to "Large" it will get the entire frequency spectrum, and if you set them to "Small" they only get 100Hz and up (I believe). BTW, I don't use any of the parametric equalizing stuff (where you can set freq. and +/- dB gain) because most good speakers shouldn't need much -- if any -- equalizing. Now, I will say equalizing might come in handy to deal with some room acoustic problems, but if you don't have a spectrum analyzer then you're just taking a "shot in the dark" and you'll likely do more harm than good!

----------------

On 6/21/2005 9:21:54 PM kenratboy wrote:

...wow, junky. Looks like they took the old models, and went thru a extensive re-silk-screening process for the new model number.

The $1000 model still have 2 in/1 out component video switching - how can they get away with that!!!???

----------------

The market is for those with few digital sources, no expectations and lots of disposable income. That's how they can get away with it.

----------------

On 6/22/2005 2:37:32 PM CAS wrote:

The market is for those with few digital sources, no expectations and lots of disposable income. That's how they can get away with it.

----------------

Well, cannot argue with that. Most of the ES units we sell are to people who don't want to look at other stuff, they just want Sony and want to spend a lot of money.

Well my past Sony Es poroducts were:

A sony ES pre amp and 2 four channel amps (2505? Dunno) from 1987, don't rember model (was the top of there line). They were OK but not great. Good for that time period, but waaay over priced for the sound (or lack of) and build quality.

A few years ago when we decided to build a HT set up again. We bought the TA9000ES (top line ) pre and maching multi channel amp. Gadgets out the ying yang, sounded like warm dog crap, solt it on Ebay. Bought the Krell HTS 2 and have never looked back.

My opion of SONY ES is the ES is for Extra ****tty

----------------

On 6/22/2005 3:58:34 PM STL wrote:

Royster,

To be fair, at two to three times the price (of the Sony ES stuff) I sure would hope the Krell sound better!

----------------

True Krell does cost more. But that has nothing to do with the sub par sound that the TA9000Es produced, not to mention the older Sony junk. I am not a die hard krell fan. But I guess for HT gear it is a good sound. I did not mean to imply that Krell is listening utopia, far from it.

Oh, as a disclaimer, I really like Sony RPTV's, most of their video stuff (their DVD players are fine, they work very well), and my Sony 300 CD changer is AWESOME.

I don't have anything against Sony, if anything, I want them to have great stuff as I know they can do it!

I'm no 2 channel purist just an ignorant ht user. I did notice about the setting that with large you get the whole spectrum and with small the cross over was at 100. I would really like to have the cross over lower like 80 or 60. I think my forte II's could definitly handle it down to there. Also if you set them at large you don't get any lfe channel with the rear channels. I was messing around with my Avia and notice that when you are setting the bass to rear speaker db.

My HK will let me set the X-over for 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, and 200 Hz. and it is independent for the L/R, Center, side surrounds, and back surrounds - as well as the sub.

I like having that power. My speakers are all at 80 Hz. for movies, and if I am listening to music, I can drop it down or turn it off and enjoy 4, 8" woofers instead.

I'm not so sure I would knock the new ES's quite yet. I did further research on the 3100 and found that they have done away with the Digital Amplifier of the 3000. Also the weight of the unit went from 29 lbs. to 46.3 lbs. Quite a difference and probably indicates a much better amplifier section. While I do think they could have added a 3rd component input, I think it a minor issue because HDMI is really where the future is at. I am not sticking up for Sony I just don't think people should judge a product until they have seen and heard it.