Don't know if you all know the story but Dr Who stayed at my place for the pilgrimage weekend. I've already told the tale of how he arrived totally beat from the road from Chicago, traffic and overheating van. He was bringing me a pair of Cornwall BR from Royster (WI). The speakers are in great shape, save bent grille sections, but they can be repaired. Mechanically they're a nice pair with K55V, alnico K77, square mag K33, and later version B networks (6 db octave).

Mike (Dr.Who) arrived, and was so overheated that I dumped him in the jacuzzi to cool off, as I keep it below body temp in the heat of the summer. We got a Some Guys pizza and talked while awaiting the Fri night mixer. I had a wedding the next day in what proved to be enormous heat, so wanted to get in early, but the mixer was so much fun that we stayed until 11:30. It was pretty loud by then, so we headed outdoors with a few members to chat until time to go. Stayed up a bit then crashed.

Next morning was pilgrimage day, so he headed off and I loaded up for my miserable outdoor wedding. Came home about 10 totally tanked and Mike has about 20 of my 'old school' CD's out and is rocking to Alice Cooper. I do my best Jack Black impersonation and sing every lyric (badly of course- but with gusto). He presented me with the spoils of the day, the lovely tie, plaque, and tie tack. Very nicely designed all. Then we proceeded to stay up and I took over the CD player. He had mentioned electric jazz, so I remember starting with the Tommy Bolin lineups and wowed him with some various electric guitar solos and interesting guitar/synth dualing solos. Where it went from there is anybody's guess. I was beat.

Next am, Mike slept in which I prepared a little science fair experiment. I'd previously done the rope caulk trick on some 400's, so opened one of the newly purchased Cornies and prepped a horn for Mike to get his hands dirty with. So now Dr. WHo is fully versed in the rope caulk mod. Made some Angus burgers on the grille and went inside to give him an old hippies version of the background behind the stories in the movie Spinal Tap. I've advised Mike to take a 'history of rock' class in college so he'll know the background of some of today's sounds. Sent him home with a book from my collection 'Rock and Roll Hardware' that explains it all. He had a 7 pm appointment, so had to get him on the road mid afternoon, but not before plugging his 'chip amp' into my industrial LS- sounded pretty durn good.

Thanks Dr Who, visit any time!

Michael

----------------

On 6/30/2005 9:20:35 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

I had a wedding the next day in what proved to be enormous heat, so wanted to get in early, but the mixer was so much fun that we stayed until 11:30. . . .

Next morning was pilgrimage day, so he headed off and I loaded up for my miserable outdoor wedding.

----------------

Man, Michael, you get married and start your post off talking about speakers!!! Your bride must be the most tolerant and understanding woman ever born!!! May I recommend a honeymoon in Hope, Arkansas?1.gif

Now, now...... I think I know Michael pretty good.. He is straight.. To assume he is "Michael Jackson-ing" is just not right...

Wait, News flash.... I, too, was with Michael in a hot tub in Naples, FL. I see a pattern brewing..

Oh, it is ok.. We both had suits on, and he slept in his own bed in the guest room while I was in mine the master suite. whew.. Your still ok Michael...

rofl

Btw, thanks for letting me crash at your place. It was a blast and you went way overboard on the whole hosting thing (I was half expecting to find little chocolates waiting for me on my pillow). 12.gif3.gif Heck, colter even gave me a klipsch shirt right off his back! (ok, so maybe he didn't take it directly off his back, but it was a really nice present). The best part though was staying up into the wee hours of the morning listening to music while colter was explaining everything. I wish I wasn't so tired though...I was really starting to doze off there at the end. Those guitar/keys duos were amazing (something all y'alls should listen to). On one of the songs the sound guy got sneaky and panned all the drums to the left (didn't it start off panned across the middle?). Anyways, It was such a subtle thing, but it totally opened up the sound stage so that the crazy solo action could fill it back up.

I'm confused though...what does Jack Black have to do with Alice Cooper? and which one was Tommy Bolin again? lol. I'll get it straight one of these days.

Jack Black- just my crazy leaping about growling Alice Cooper impersonations whilst in the midst of a heat-crazed near-comatose frame of mind. I barely remember Sat night too, yeah we were both so tired but stereo-crazy that we were listening very intently and picking things out of the mixes that I'd never heard. Must have listened for about 3.5 hours that night- then it was lights out!

Anyone else have the experience of getting a very different perspective from your music by listening to it with another 'critical listener'?

Michael

Anyone else have the experience of getting a very different perspective from your music by listening to it with another 'critical listener'?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very much so.. Say your used to a band with the drums center left..Percussion extras center right.. vocals center... background vocals on the left and right sides... Bass guitar left, lead guitar right...and sometimes a rythymn guitar right. You have seen this band several times and it feels the same way at home.

Now imagine the CD you get has some songs backwards... I have a James Taylor song or two that somehow I swear it is backwards and to be honest feels awkward too.. than the rest of the CD, which feels fine. Makes you wonder.

I know what you mean...ever hear a snare panned left and a ride panned right? man it's so akward. Or even worse, pan em both to the same side!

I wonder though if someone who has never listened to rock before would consider it akward...like I wonder if our ears get conditioned to hear things one way and subconciously we don't want it to change. Ok, so who in the world has never listened to rock? 2.gif

----------------

On 7/1/2005 3:34:11 PM nicholtl wrote:

It's funny to read "I threw him in the jacuzzi to cool him off."

----------------

lol, i think he was trying to imply that I seemed too stoned to get in there on my own 2.gif

Nick, well he was talking incoherently, stumbling, had red watery eyes and kept mumbling about phase relationships....

But I am assured that he is a very studious student (arrgh) with no partying tendencies- the windblown look was from saving his overheating engine by running heater and hangin head out the window, Basset Hound style (would love to have seen that). What a good little roadie he'll make!

On the MIX front, I have noticed some Deep Purple recordings with Jon's organ right (stage left) and Ritchie's strat left (stage right), which was NEVER the stage setup..wouldn't it be nice to have a mono and/or reverse mode on modern receivers?

What I'm talking more about here are weird mix items like Billy Cobham's massive drums panned naturally across the spectrum, Allman bros with one kit per side, occasional guitar overdubs swooping naturally from side to side, DrWho noticed one recording that had the whole drum kit Left, bass right, guitar left, keys right- think it was one of the Bolin/Cobham things where Tommy and Jan Hammer were trading licks. Jan does those pentatonic (?) scales with the pitch bend and it sounds just like a double tracked guitar- song was Stratus or Quadrant 4 I think.

Gawd, we listened to a lot of music. Although tired, I did try to pay attention to an axiom DrWho told me. Something about being a good DJ when playing snippets for friends. Establish an agreed upon level and stick to it (NO FADER CREEP), don't chop off cuts too abruptly, but don't let them drone on. Make a comment then shut up and listen. Try to present a cohesive but flowing series of song interludes. And taper the volume off at ends of selections and enter new songs gently. Nothing like having a critical listener with ears atuned, and blasting them with some horrible noise at inhumane levels. I hope I was a good host in this regard. In my opinion, the Friday night mixer got a little abrupt in this regard.

We listened through the Yammie RXV2400 and two main Cornwalls with no DSP, treble -1 and bass +4, NO SUB!

Michael- happy listening.

Dr Who, Thanks for helping us with that Cornwall deal. I really wanted them bad but, Roy didn't want them shipped and I felt I had to honor his wish.

"I know what you mean...ever hear a snare panned left and a ride panned right? man it's so akward. Or even worse, pan em both to the same side!"

I've heard that many times. What's worse than that is a piano with the left keys in the left channel and the right keys in the right channel. Ever hear a twenty foot wide 6' high piano?

Rick

"On the MIX front, I have noticed some Deep Purple recordings with Jon's organ right (stage left) and Ritchie's strat left (stage right), which was NEVER the stage setup..wouldn't it be nice to have a mono and/or reverse mode on modern receivers?"

Yup, you are serious DP fan. I figured you knew about that.