Sub choices for La Scala

cool_blue

Depends on room size, but all I can say is that a Hsu STF-3 worked well for me when I was using my La Scala's as front speakers. My room size is 11x30x8. The sub goes low and is musical. It integrated well crossed-over at 60 or 80 Hz.

I will say that the HSU Research TN 1220's are perfect for the La Scalas. I have two in my room in the back corners. They integrated well. Recommend low crossover points such as 60 hz or below.

HSU no longer makes these. They had an unbelievable following on stereoreview.com. Could now buy them second hand for cheap.

They easily go down to 20hz.

Sold my La Scala's however for Cornscalas

jc

My sub recommendation depends whether you require speaker level or line level only inputs. The Klipsch RSW-12 and the M&K MX 150 both feature line level inputs. So you couldn't run them off your amplifier speaker terminals without some sort of adadpter. The REL Storm III, a fine subwoofer, features speaker level inputs (in fact REL prefers this type of connection). The Storm won't go as loud as the RSW-12 or the MX 150, but it will go as deep.

Obviously for connection via a surround sound receiver, live level input is not a problem. Anyhow, I like all three subs mentioned above for varying reasons.

----------------

On 7/6/2005 12:39:09 AM edwinr wrote:

My sub recommendation depends whether you require speaker level or line level only inputs. The Klipsch RSW-12 and the M&K MX 150 both feature line level inputs. So you couldn't run them off your amplifier speaker terminals without some sort of adadpter. The REL Storm III, a fine subwoofer, features speaker level inputs (in fact REL prefers this type of connection). The Storm won't go as loud as the RSW-12 or the MX 150, but it will go as deep.

Obviously for connection via a surround sound receiver, live level input is not a problem. Anyhow, I like all three subs mentioned above for varying reasons.

----------------

I thought all the klipsch subs have speaker level inputs on them...at least all the ones I've seen do (including synergy as well).

EDIT: seems all the subs except the RSW lineup support speaker level inputs.

Btw, I second the vote on the Klipsch THX Ultra2 subs...very very clean sounding (mates very well with the scalas).

----------------

On 7/5/2005 11:28:55 PM dubai2000 wrote:

I have never regretted moving from a REL unit to....SVS (see my system) and I am a happy camper, indeed!
3.gif

Wolfram

----------------

Ditto, I have the same sub as Wolfram for my Belles. Seamless blend with large horns. Not the sub for you, however, if you want "to notice" your sub.

Carl.