FM Tuners

Piranha

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FM . . .I haven't heard of them. Are they on CD or vinyl??

All kidding aside, i echo Aud's Nectar re the mx-110 doing a good job of pulling in the stations without a rooftop mast, and i live in a canyon, albeit just off the coast. I recently got a mac mr-78 but haven't had the chance to use it yet, but it's reputation is stellar.

I have a factory Dynaco FM-5 that is WAY better than any of the FM stations in the Dallas/Fort Worth area deserve. The public station is talk-talk-talk. The classical station is owned by the city of Dallas which rents "subchannels". Somehow, they leak. In the background there is always a murmering sound like you hear at the opera just before the lights dim. It is a well-managed station with knowledgeable "hosts" and interesting music. I never tune to it because of the distraction. The ear is a strange device. It can tune out music and obsess on background noise!

Those who know of my work know that I don't allow SS equipment on my bench, my reasons being legion. At the same time and with great admiration I know that there are many applications for which the transistor and IC are wonderfully suited. My wrist watch is tuned to the NBS and corrects my time to ± a hundredth of a second. My computer amazes me daily. Try to duplicate either of these with triodes! So, here is the question. Why would a vacuum tube FM tuner outperform a SS tuner? I'm not trying to start a fire. I would really like to know.

DR BILL

----------------

On 7/8/2005 1:11:32 AM wheelman wrote:

----------------

On 7/6/2005 4:01:05 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

next problem is to find anything worth listening to on the local stations ..

hell, i may as well take the tuner outta my rack

----------------

Ha! I hear that do you pull in the Lake up there? How about 97.7 htz fm from Toronto, Canada

----------------

Wheelman, where are you? I'm up in Niagara Co, and we get the Lake all the way up to the other lake (Ontario). Good station, kinda reminds me of the one on Martha's Vineyard that plays album cuts all the time, too.

94.1 has some late night show that plays some really adventurous stuff (Brave New Wave or something). I try to listen to it on the way home from band rehearsal Fri nights.

----------------

On 7/12/2005 6:21:53 PM sunnysal wrote:

I have a mid-80s SAE tuner that does a pretty good job BUT I pine for a Marantz 10b...tony----------------

I have a Marantz 10 (early version--pre 10b) that I picked up ULTRA cheap many years ago. It looks pretty, but two different techs (including Zuccaro) told me it was pretty much "un-alignable" and to forget it--it drifts all over the place and sounds like CRAP! I keep thinking I'll sell it on ebay "as is" for a few hundred, but I need to sleep at night. So for now it's a movie prop.

I dunno about you, but every time I look inside one of these Marantz tuners I feel like Alice lost in wonderland. Fixing these things is INDEED a black art . . .

d5_12_sb.JPG

Away from larger cities Sirius or XM sattelite investment may be more gratifying.

Again for exposure to new music; not audiophile quality realism.
----------------

I have a 45 minute drive and wind up turning the cd player on several times. Local stations are terrible. I'm all for the Sirius radio. Will probably pick one up around christmas time.

Chris

I listen to FM radio ALL the time (well almost). Here in the SF bay area we have KCSM - a PBS station based at the College of San Mateo. KCSM plays commercial free REAL jazz (no Kenny G or any of that other "smooth" crap - ever!) 24/7.

I turn it on in the morning and it stays on all day - unless there's something else I want to hear or watch. It really is the sound track to my life.

If you've got a broadband connection, it's avalable over the web at KCSM.org. Highly recommended.

James

----------------

On 7/8/2005 10:02:41 PM Gilbert wrote:

I can't believe how many of you guys flake-off the FM stations. I guess I'm luky over here, because I love my FM tuners. There are several excellent stations in the Tulsa area..... 94.1 The Sound, 97.5 KMOD, 96.1, and 103.3. And there are several killer classical stations too. I really do love FM, but will get my CD player/changer one of these days.

----------------

I myself have an Eico HFT-90 , about 40years old. NOS tubes in this piece make the sweetest sound that I have heard from a tuner1.gif.

I listen to very little radio in Detroit Metro area. My opinion is their are no really good jazz stations broadcasting. For my Khorn system I bought a NAD 4300 AM/FM Tuner. Use it for those times that I want to listen to special classic jazz broadcasts, or to have continuous music playing while I do household chores.

The NAD tuner works well for me, and it's connected to a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 Antenna. An inexpensive, but effective combo.