Heresy Home Theater Quandry...Help Please...

SilverSport

Ok, so I use Heresy mains for my HT set-up...mostly for movies...currently I have the following:

Heresy Mains

Academy Center

KSF-S5 rear surrounds

Outlaw 950 Pre Pro

Outlaw 7100 7X100 Amp

Outlaw LFM-1 Sub

I thought this was pretty good until some thoughts of forum members here caused me to try a Heresy for my center...I don't know for sure but to me, it sounded like the Heresy was BETTER than the vaunted Academy for a center albeit quite a bit larger...

Do I keep the Heresy for a center (causing me to buy another Heresy for center since I borrowed this Heresy from another 2 channel set up)?

Do I upgrade the Academy center network and would this be superior to the Heresy front or just a better Academy?

Do I keep an all Heresy front and upgrade the networks on all my Heresys?

How different are Heresy IIs to Heresys???

I have already considered going to 5 Heresys for HT as well...

Decisions decision...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I transitioned, like you probably will, to an All-Heresy HT (in one room, the other is K's and Corns) and love it! You can buy a pair of Heresy's for the price of the Academy and may be able to find a single for the price of your surrounds. The All-Heresy + Sub is an awesome HT! Git 'er done and don't look back . . .

I have been looking for a couple of weeks since I first FINALLY listened to Olorin, Frzn and other that an all Heresy HT was the way to go but no joy...lotsa Heresy IIs but I haven't seen many Heresys for a decent price anywhere near me...I can wait I guess...thanks for your input.

Bill

Doens't it DRIVE YA NUTS! I buy this fabulous RC7 center to go with my Cornwalls. Frzinvt, IndyKlipschFan, and other bug me about this timbre matching concept, that all speakers must be of VERY SIMILAR build and xovers or else you will hear the tonal shift when the sound localization changes. I fight em and fight em, saying all those lovely things about how a center speaker has different duties, that it should be custom designed to serve as center, old Heritage CAN"T possibly fill the need in modern HT.

Then I try a Heresy for center, great, put a KLF-C7 in place, better than the modern RC7, end up buying parts to make a custom center Cornwall, and buy two more pairs of CW's to round out the 7.1 system.

They are right, don't fight it. Completely matched speakers will ALWAYS BE BEST. There I said it, you fellas happy!?!?!?!?

Michael

"I have already considered going to 5 Heresys for HT as well..."

DING DING DING DING

We have a winnah9.gif

My all Cornwall HT didn't come all at once, either. I progressed from Cornwall II/Academy/Chorus rears to all Cornwalls of late 60's and early 70's vintages. Once I realized what I liked best in terms of speaker - and I discovered the joy of all identical speakers and the timbre matching that brings, I patiently waited for the right speakers to come available, then plugged them into the system as obtained.

It's worth the trouble. This can be a year long kind of project, but with patience and cash at the ready, the right Heresys will come along. Get 'em all the same....you won't be sorry.

Ofcourse a Heresy center will be better than an Academy if you have Heresy mains. The Academy wasn't designed to match Heritage speakers. The reason people use is with Heritage speakers is that it is the closest sounding speaker with that "center channel" form factor. Not only that, even when they are designed to go with decent mains, they are still a compromise of size/shape over performance.

Heresy IIs sound a little different than Heresys. And even the last of the Heresys (1984 or so) with the K52H or K53K squawker driver sound a little different than the earlier ones. I had a set for rear surrounds to go with my older Heresys and the difference was enough to make me replace them with older ones. IMHO you should Definitely go for a matched set, all Heresy II, all late Heresy, or all earlier Heresy with K55V. OTOH some folks aren't disturbed by the difference.

You don't need to do a thing to the networks or anything else in the Heresy, just enjoy.

FWIW I have 5 Heresys in my system. I can afford, have room for, and appreciate larger Heritage speakers. But with a good subwoofer, I get close to the same sonic performance and just don't have a need for bigger.

• Moderators

From reading all on this subject i will do the same. I was looking to get away from the synergy i have and not even hearing any other klipsch except rf7 rc7 rs7 i bought a pair of forte ll . I wasen't looking for forte ll but from what i read i coulden't go wrong at $325 ebay bin local.

This was the only local i have ever seen and it was pointed out on this forum and came with a good refferal about the seller from this forum {fastlane thanks}.

I love the forte ll ,my wife listened to them for about 10 seconds and said replace all the rest in the 6.1 you can't beat that.

Now too find more of the same, thought about a academy center but for the price i can get 2 forte ll, and the center forte ll would sound better.

So thanks to all again.

I have a pair of Forte IIs as mains and a center that is a Heresy 1 with Heresy IIs as rears and the sound is fantastic. I suppose there would be a noticeable difference with the timber if I used 1 of each speaker in a stereo setup but honestly, to my ears anyway the front speakers blend very well as do the rears. NO complaints and no plans to change anything. The Heresy makes a great center speaker if you have the room.

----------------

On 7/18/2005 3:02:20 PM dragonfyr wrote:

...and he thinks this is over!
2.gif

...just wait and see what happens when he hears LaScalas in place of the Heresys!
2.gif9.gif

----------------

Oh, I have K'Horns for 2 channel!

Bill9.gif16.gif2.gif

----------------

On 7/18/2005 2:56:29 PM dtel wrote:

Just a question what sounds better hersey or forte ll, i ask because the heresy is considered heritage?

----------------

It's a matter of opinion. I haven't heard Forte IIs, but I have Fortes, Chorus IIs, and Heresys. I find the Forte and Chorus II to be smoother and fuller than the Heresy, while the Heresy is more assertive. Fortes go Bang! Heresys go BANG! (I just can't think of a better way to put it.) Voices and softer effects sound better to me on the Forte/Chorus. Neither one sucks, as if that were a worry. 2.gif

When people talk about "slam" I usually think of the mid-bass, though I could be off there. I'm talking more about the highs and the mids. (Just want to see if we're speaking the same language.) I think the Heresy is more forward in that area than the Forte family. Can't comment on the Corns, unfortunately.