Best center channel for Khorns?

JTA

Yep La Scala or a Belle Klipsch. IMO a La Scala is the best option of the two. You can try a Klipschorn but it requires making a false corner and then finding the appropriate palcement. IF you are interested in the Klipschorn option you need to see Q-Mans rig.

Q man made a center K horn mod.. We all drooled!!!

===========================================================

The best??? La Scala hands down. It has the same drivers in the tweeter and mids, and same horn sizes too. Since our ears are more in tune with mid and high differences the smaller Belle horn will be a compromise. You will hear it, trust me. You will also need a sub with these especially! Front placement of the sub will help localise the thump too.

I use a Older Cornwall II, (vertical now on its side horizontally) between 2 k horns hidden in a cabinet under my HDTV. You might like the added Bass it creates over a Belle or a LaScala. Most do. The Cornwall also goes almost as low as the K horns and many on here... including me, sing it's praise. A sub is still needed here, but not as critical as will the La Scala or Belle.

Hope this helps. Heritage with Heritage is the only way to go!

I will attest to IndyKlipschFan's vertical Cornwall center speaker. He has it nicely built into the TV/equipment rack, with custom grille. It's physically invisible, the sound is very smooth and blends with the Khorns beautifully.

I personally own LS and Cornwalls and feel that the Cornwall has a much smoother frequency response, is easier to place, and generally makes an overall better center speaker than the LS.

But I could be wrong.

Michael

There is NOTHING, repeat, NOTHING like having full range speakers all around you. When action pans, everything pans, not just the treble. Remember sub is for the .1 LFE info unless you route LR info also to sub. I personally prefer having each speaker able to handle the full bandwidth without the sub 'crutch'. Of course I do have a sub for the .1 channel, but I also route .1 info all across the front, so you can't localize where the LFE is coming from.

Michael , just my .02

But then, I could be horribly mistaken...

I agree that the Cornwall is also a very good choice. My brother uses a vertical Corn between his K-horns with great success. We both preferred the Corn to the Lascala for his center, and we did a considerable amount of listening back and forth before coming to that conclusion. Somehow the Cornwall seemed to blend better. I know that the mid horns are different, but the Cornwall won out - go figure.

I'm using a Heresy and it works quite well, but I'm sure a Cornwall, Belle or La Scala would be better. I'd only have space for a vertical ornwall on its side, and would love to try one in the future (but not this year, I have exceeded my yearly budget!)

Seadog the reason is most likely due to the fact the the Cornwall to me anyway comes the closest in overall tone and timbre to the Khorn. While it is a bass reflex cabinet I still think it sounds closest to the Khorn across the entire frequeny spectrum.

I noticed this alot when I switched from La Scala's to Cornwall's in the rear position they just seemed to blend much better.

Call me crazy but that is what I heard. I got lucky and found the La Scala I have at center locally so that is what I went with.

Michael,

You're wrong. You're horribly mistaken. You have no idea what you are talking about. You're dumber than a bag of hammers. Everybody knows the Academy is the best center for everything, closely followed by a KLF-C7 and then an RC-7. A La Scala or a Cornwall for a center? Puh-lease. And what's this crap about full range speakers in the rear? Everyone KNOWS you're supposed to use those little bilingual speakers back there. No bass comes out of them anyway.

Olorin has clearly turned to the dark side.

I heard LS's as rears before, and I was quite impressed with them. I later heard them (same ones) in a center position (side-by-side directly in front) and they sounded terrible! Really HORRIBLE, shrill and grating! What was going on with that I don't know, but it gave me pause.

DM2.gif

The best center channel .... is money an issue? Let's look at the trade-offs.

I use my set up for music only (no home theater) so others who might disagree may be trying to optimize different aspects of the sound. In my case I am using a Heresy center between two K-Horns

In stereophonic reproduction there will be sound that appears to come from the center (as well as other locations in between the the L & R speakers). However, when the L & R speakers are widely separated there may be a "hole in the middle". The percept is a bit difficult to explain, since there will still be a percept in the middle but it is not as "anchored" or "solid". Also the listener's sweet spot may be more narrow or fragile. I am pointing this out because in using a center channel for reproducing music, the center channel (comprising a summed L & R signal) only needs to produce relatively little SPL (compared to the L & R). Its presence should be subtle, otherwise you will decrease the width of the sterophnonic image.

I am belaboring this issue, since you can get away with using a "lesser" speaker, if money or space in the living room is an issue. Yes, the very low frequency response from a Heresy is weak. However, what is reproduced is accurate and not boomy or muddy. If you have a pair of K-Horns there will be plenty of good bass (unless there are some room acoustics issues, which is also quite possible). So the center should not have to augment the low bass. It is only "anchoring" the perceived imaging in the middle. Obviously a better speaker is preferred (CW, Belle, or LS) but that might not be practical. BTW, the center may also get rid of some frequency anomalies (comb filtering) or at least smooth them out a little bit. And it can also provide a better top end since the the higher frequencies from the L & R speakers may be a bit directional and not adequately aimed at the listnener.

Again, my comments do not apply to HT, which seems (and I say this in a friendly way) to exaggerate certain aspects of the sound (huge image, chest pounding bass, etc).

If you currently have a lot of gain on the center, try cutting back a bit, You may also notice an increase in the appearent depth of the image also (IOW, Let the K-Horns do their job).

Incidentally, having said all this, I may be picking up a pair of Cornwalls this weekend and using one as my new center (I may be getting a deal that I can't pass up. It really is a sickness!)

Good luck,

-Tom

Tom Said...

Incidentally, having said all this, I may be picking up a pair of Cornwall's this weekend and using one as my new center (I may be getting a deal that I can't pass up. It really is a sickness!)

==========================================================

He is going to eat his words when he tries his system with the Cornwall as the Center... LOL. Now he will be looking for a vertical one and move the corns to the back surrounds... or another Heresy for the rears too. Quick.. Stop him now!!!!

Yes, it is a sickness. But safer than drugs, alcohol, robbing a bank, cliff diving, hot air ballooning, or trying out for the WWE wrestling group! And, at the end of the day, you at least have something to show and enjoy for years!

As recommended a Heritage for a Heritage, no better truth...I can't accomodate, so therefore have settled on the Legend KLF-C7, and also recommended by members to this board as able to....love it, serious thought should be considered for your centre channel, most definite 1...IMO...RC-7 maybe...10.gif

SO KLIPSCH, WHEN IS THE HERITAGE TRUE CENTRE CHANNEL BEING BORN.......

just curious....2.gif

PS...old pic

post-5588-13819268672302_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 7/23/2005 1:31:02 AM boomer9911 wrote:

SO KLIPSCH, WHEN IS THE HERITAGE TRUE CENTRE CHANNEL BEING BORN.......

just curious....
2.gif

----------------

They have one, its called a La Scala1.gif

I have heard Cornwalls in between Khorns that sounded great as a center, but not in my room. My room is big, and the K600 did not keep up and sound right.

Because of this, I do not think Klipsh will ever come out with standard fit all Heritage center speaker that will sit on top of your TV. If they did, I think they would need to make several models. Maybe a smaller version like a Heresy with two 8 or 10 inch woofers. And a large one with a K400 squaker, but then, that would be a LAS.

JM