Crossover pics

I'm so damn proud of myself.16.gif As part of my HT project and/or make-over, I decided to replace the caps in my aging Heresy & Cornwall crossovers. And when I pulled the drivers out of my single Heresy II (center channel) in order to refinish the cabinet, this is what I saw for a crossover.

Crossover14.jpg

So I decided to try and rebuild this crossover in the style of my other Heritage speakers and using better components. Before I go further, a big thanks goes out to DeanG for fielding my questions and encouraging me to "go for it". Additionally, a H-U-G-E thanks goes out to Bob Crites for having the patience of a statue in helping make this thing come to reality. I'm not sure why I experienced total brain lock-up with this project seeigs how I built a few HeathKit projects in my youth. Hell, maybe I just didn't know any better then - I dunno. Anyhow, here's my finished product.

Crossover41.jpg

Crossover51.jpg

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....I know. I used crimp style butt connectors. So shoot me. I made damn sure the connections were very secure. To be honest, I tried using some solder sleeves like what we use on our aircraft at work. However, I'm not sure what I was doing wrong because my heat gun never would kick-off the solder in the sleeve. My heat gun has variable heat settings and I tried several heat settings and never did get it right so I gave up after going through all six I absconded from work. No, I haven't hooked it up and tried it yet. Quite frankly, I'm scared as hell. Maybe I'll just look at it for a while.15.gif

Tom

----------------

On 7/20/2005 3:58:10 PM Tom Adams wrote:

No, I haven't hooked it up and tried it yet. Quite frankly, I'm scared as hell. Maybe I'll just look at it for a while.
15.gif

Tom

----------------

This is pretty much how I feel every time I think about doing something like this! Yours looks great, so hook it up and post a review!!

I think I'm convinced a good crimp is as good as a good solder joint, and when you get right down to it -- it's easier to get a good crimp than a good solder joint. I've been doing more crimping myself, and have even been playing with wrapping. Very nice work on those, don't it feel good ( and probably sounds a heck of a lot better too!).

Thanks folks for all the very nice words - especially you Dean for supporting my crimping method.

One things for sure - I'm not giving up my day job. I bet I have over 10 hours in that one crossover. Hell, I bet I stared at the board and the components for over an hour just trying to visualize where to mount things. And even then I placed, then rearranged, then rearranged some more. Sheesh - I was as bad as a woman placing furniture!!6.gif9.gif

Yes - Dean has the parts correct except for the barrier strip. I used a strip from Stinger automotive audio because it had a greater center-to-center dimension for the terminal screws. Ok.....you got me. It's gold plated too. Gotta love that bling, bling. 1.gif Oh - I got the schematic from Bob Crites and reused the autotransformer.

I took a picture of the nomenclature plate on one of my Heresy I crossovers and went to a local trophy making place and they were able to make the plate you see. That cost me $15.00 which is probably a bit much, but it's better than what I could've done with a Sharpie.

I'd love to tell you guys that I'll be able to give an objective opinion about this mod; but the truth is that it's been so long since I listened to the way it was, that I've probably forgotten how it sounded. Nonetheless, I will report my "feelings" about what I hear. Just say a prayer for me that what I DON'T hear is frzzzzzUUUMP POP!!! 6.gif LOL......9.gif

Again - thanks for the compliments. Coming from you guys, that means a helluva lot to me. And I mean that sincerely.

Tom

----------------

On 7/21/2005 9:22:45 AM BEC wrote:

Tom,

Excellent idea on the nomenclature plate. I may steal that idea.

Bob

----------------

You gotta love this idea! If you were doing a bunch they could easily be done all on one plate and then cut with a bench shear. Might bring the price way down that way too.

Bruce

----------------

On 7/21/2005 11:09:56 PM DeanG wrote:

Bob - is this something we can go in on together? It might save us both a little bit of money.

----------------

Dean,

Sure, I want to see if someone will do them at a reasonable price in hundred quantity.

Bob

Dean,

I should have proofs to look at around next Wednesday. Made of aluminum. Should look just like he ones Tom had made. Unsure of the price yet, but will be reasonable I think for large quantity.

Bob