Really bad movies you enjoy watching.

grog

You know, the movie type.

A movie so bad it is funny to watch.

These are movies that fail at the box office.

These are movies that you won't tell anyone you like or enjoy watching.

But truth is, you like them.

I will start with two such movies, and yes I like them both.

1.) Howard the Duck (1986)

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/howardduck/

Few things are more imposing than a midget in a duck suit, Lea Thompson with big hair is one of them. Don't get me wrong, pretty girl, she just doesn't look right with Van Halen's hair.

Enough about that, we've got a great ducking movie to review! (You saw it coming.)

Howard is living happily on his planet when a strange phenomenon sucks him through space, landing the poor waterfowl in Cleveland. Taken in by the talented, but mismanaged rock singer Beverly he begins setting things right. First he gets her out of a dead end record contract, then the drake begins searching for a way home. Constantly forced to defend himself from the evolved apes occupying Ohio's premiere city, Howard resorts to "Quack-Fu" or biting sarcasm.

Personally, if a three foot duck offers me a banana, I'm punting the quacker. (There's another one! On a roll today.) Through Beverly he meets Phil, who after insulting everyone's intelligence by trying to communicate with our feathered hero by quacking at him actually discovers how the duck came to Earth. A research team led by Doctor Jenning was using a new spectroscope and it created a passageway between worlds! Bad news for mankind though, a second experiment has teleported in one of the Dark Overlords of the Universe. (No, not the people who run NBC.) Using a golf cart packing more firepower than most tanks Howard blasts the stop motion baddie into oblivion.

The number of visual duck puns is astounding, Howard reads "Playduck" and carries a "Mallardcard" in his wallet. In addition we have the possessed Dr. Jenning, who feeds on electricity, plugging his tongue into a truck cigarette lighter and generally being a public nuisance. Jenning cracked me up during his possessed phase, one minute he's exclaiming in a dark voice, "This will mean the extinction of all existing life forms." and the next he's sad because the waitress took his ham and eggs. Seeing Lea Thompson, in her bedclothes, getting amorous with Howard was a twist too. (He's hung like an Ostrich!) Most people either hate this film, or love it. The movie is ridiculous, it's eighties, and it's a special effects bonanza - I'm with the latter crowd.

2.) Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (2002) <= I really like this one!

http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/k/kung_pow.html

"After enduring the 80 minute ordeal that goes by the name of Kung Pow: One of the Worst Spoofs Ever Made, I tried to imagine what kind of pitch meeting might have resulted in a producer greenlighting this project..."

There is also a Kung Pow Website:

http://www.kungpowmovie.com/

You can every "dub your own flick" on this site.

Wee-Oh-Wee-Oh-Wee.....

"If we pass by a Radio Shack let me know"...

Greg

Dead Alive is so disgusting, blood and vomit drenched, but its non stop action with primitive effects that are absolutely engrossing to watch--

Its sort of a rotting body/zombie type movie. The scene where the hero keeps hundreds of zombies off him with the bottom of a lawnmower is sheer mayhem.

Amazing that Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame made this--one of his first.

Best B movie I think I've ever seen--

Here's one. 'One Crazy Summer', starring John Cusack, Demi Moore (pre-op), Bobcat Goldthwait ( or however he spells his name). Probably came out around 1986. This movie is pretty bad as far as storyline but is also pretty hilarious I thought.

----------------

On 7/20/2005 9:36:02 PM theryugobuddy wrote:

Dead Alive is so disgusting, blood and vomit drenched, but its non stop action with primitive effects that are absolutely engrossing to watch...

----------------

I absolutely, unequivocally agree with this!!! This, and "Transylvannia 5-6000."

----------------

Dead Alive is so disgusting, blood and vomit drenched, but its non stop action with primitive effects that are absolutely engrossing to watch...

----------------

Very similar to "Dead Alive" is "Evil Dead". Not the silly sequels, but the original.

All through Junior High and High School, two of my best friends and I would have an annual "Evil Dead" sleep-over.

Deliciously cheesey.

My wife and I can't seem to change the channel when Urban Cowboy is on.

This movie is just awful, but we watch this entire stupid movie every time it's on.

I think there is some kind of trance inducing spell embedded in the movie that will not allow us to gather our senses and turn it off.

Man this is STUPID - and I am embarrased!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care

Mike

----------------

Dead Alive is so disgusting, blood and vomit drenched, but its non stop action with primitive effects that are absolutely engrossing to watch--

Amazing that Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame made this--one of his first.

Best B movie I think I've ever seen--

----------------

I have seen Dead Alive and it is one you just can't turn off. And it is discusting, exspecially the end where the mother is up on the roof and the hero gets sucked up ... inside...

Another bad movie that is also funny is "The Gods Must be Crazy"

Its about a pigmy warrior in Africa that finds a Coke bottle that was thrown ot of and airplane and he thinks its a message from God and is causing his family harm so he needs to thro it off the earth. There are two or three other story lines going on all at the same time also. very bad acting and high speed car chases where they just speed the film up. its just so stupid its funny.

Steve

----------------

On 7/21/2005 8:29:53 PM Mikekid wrote:

My wife and I can't seem to change the channel when Urban Cowboy is on.

This movie is just awful, but we watch this entire stupid movie every time it's on.

I think there is some kind of trance inducing spell embedded in the movie that will not allow us to gather our senses and turn it off.

Man this is STUPID - and I am embarrased!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care

Mike

----------------

Same here. The movie now seems to be a parody of itself. One of my favorite parts is the wedding scene where Sissy whines "Mama, my legs are sweaty". Saturday Night Fever (city cousin of Urban Cowboy) is another stupid movie we can't pass up. "Hey, don't hit the hair". We groan when these come on but then get trapped.

I too disagree with you sputnik on Saturday Night Fever but definitly DO agree with Urban Cowboy! I have probably seen that movie 50 times. I even go as far as to look at it and consider purchasing it when I go to Best Buy but haven't yet. I don't know what it is about that movie that sucks me in but I need to get over it lol!

Amy,

Are we talking about the same movie??

saturdaynightfever.jpg

The one with the BeeGees disco music???? 14.gif

"Oh Tony, can I wipe the sweat from your forehead"? That one?? 9.gif9.gif.

It certainly was a big time movie and it spoke of the era. I, along with most people that I knew, were put off by the hype around disco and John Travolta. I didn't even go to see when it came out. Watching the movie now; however, I wonder if they were ridiculing disco rather than hyping it. It looks like John Travolta got the joke and played it up nicely. Or maybe the disco era was just self-ridiculing. At any rate, now I get hooked every time it comes on the tube (much to my embarrassment). It was a well done movie (Travolta was perfect) that used an insipid fad as a backdrop.

A much better coming of age movie was "Breaking Away".

----------------

On 7/22/2005 7:51:29 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Spaceballs is a Mel Brooks satire that is so bad that it is funny. Many Mel Brooks movies fall into this category.

Bill

----------------

Oh man! Spaceballs is a classic! I think that movie is intentionally "bad" that it is actually quite good! This is satire at its best here! It is pretty bad whenever I find myself quoting from this movie (and it did have some awesome lines in it!)