Should I be pissed?

Drew in the desert

Most of the "pissed" stories come from guys who spend hours educating their buddies on how to piece together a great system, and then the guy comes home with Bose in Box system and brags about how great it is. I'd be happy for your buddy and glad he trusted your advice. I like Gary's idea of letting him try to set it up himself.

----------------

On 7/22/2005 9:56:25 AM garymd wrote:

Why don't you insist he try to set it up on his own and call you with any questions that arise along the way? Tell him that it's very important to understand what all the connections do and how to use all the gadgets like the remotes, different modes, bass management, etc. and that having you set it up from the start would be foolish and counter-productive. Heck, you may not always be available when something goes wrong. Also, tell him to read the manual from start to finish before beginning.

He may then have a greater appreciation for his system and a greater appreciation for YOU after you bail him out for the 50th time when he keeps screwing up!

----------------

I don't necessarily disagree. I understand the "Teach a guy to fish" thing, but in that scenario I think the "to go beer" may be out. 5.gif

It depends on how good a friend he is. I would reach some sort of middle ground if he was a close friend. The set up process can be a real pain in the arse for a newbie and can sour the experience. If it were me, I would help him set it up only if he promised to read the manual so he can understand how the stuff works and doesn't call you with idiotic questions (which you will be the judge 9.gif ).

Again, if he is a good friend and needs your help 50 more times--that's 50 more potential free beer opportunities and RF-7 listening sessions. If he's not a good bud, I concur with Gary.2.gif

I say be a man my son, there will always be people smarter, richer and better than you, accept that you did a good thing and congratulate him on his purchase and wise choices, then everytime you are over there, show him how he can take advantage or improve what he has, at least he didnt listen to you system and then go out and spend twice the money on Bose as some of my friends have done!10.gif

Your just jealous that his speakers are better than yours, and now you know that to regain your place over him you will have to save money and sell your equipment at step up to at least the same thing he has. Or wait the Reference Premiere system and outdo him alltogether.

At least thats what I would have to do. 2.gif

----------------

On 7/22/2005 9:28:40 AM Drew in the desert wrote:

"You think he's gonna buy a Ferrari and not LEARN to drive a stick?"

Yes, that is exactly what he is going to do. Smart A**.

----------------

So let me see if I have this straight. He'll learn to drive the stick, and you get to drive it too. Or, he won't learn, he'll quickly burn out, and he'll sell it to you for a fraction of its cost. Either way, you're getting free beer. I'm still missing the downside.

You said..: "The thing that really pisses me off is that he has no idea about any of this stuff. While you and I spend hours researching and listening and building our systems piece-by-piece, he just bought what I said I would buy. Now he has more high end gear than I do, and he will not be able to appreciate it like we would."

=================================================

Like we would??? LOL

Feel good he took your advice. It could be worse, after spending all this $$ he could hate it.... and blame you too. End up hating you as well. If he likes it for the rest of his life... (Well ok for a long time for years until upgradeitis comes in LOL...) Smiling that his buddy knows his stuff...and helped him out??? Your his hero.

My first stick Car was/ is a Porsche Turbo. I assure you, I now know, after going to the Porsche driving schools with it, how to drive it... What the cars limits are, and yes, what are mine are with it driving very fast breaking and cornering too to the cars limits as well. LOL now drive in the medium groups, sometimes with the advanced ones as well.

Recently, I was able to do my moms whole system in her house including really cool touch pads...on three levels. I did a LOT of research, got her great equipment, and she is totally happy. A lot of programing sure went into it. I have it all macro ed in ONE remote... and with 1-2 buttons pressed and she gets what she needs. She is very happy, brags on me to everyone else she knows that her son did this, did that.. (well me and the local guys here...) What I am trying to say is she trusted I would deliver a great system and I did. She really enjoys it, too, which is the bottom line. Since she does... it is a home run.

BTW, I USED to know how to do some minor maintenance on my car at 16- 18 years old. I hated "rich kids" who had all of the toys and didn't know squatt about their rides too! LOL. I am by no means really rich, but still a kid at heart, but I would not touch my Porsche and screw something up in a million years! LOL.

Yeah, he likely won't appreciate the speakers like others would. From his perspective he just didn't want to waste his cash and since sound isn't a passion of his he figured he'd take advantage of your experience. Most of us have probably done that type of thing before...not everyone can invst the time it takes to really investigate every potential costly purchase...

My father-in-law is like that- he has a lot of money but doesn't have the inclination to research electronics purchases so he basically lets me spend his money. He doesn't like/trust salespeople and figures if I tell him stuff is good then he's not wasting his money.

I do know what you mean though...I'm not jealous of his gear but I do think it would be nice to be able to flippantly drop major cash without sweating like he can-

Drew,

Quite an interesting story. IMO, it's probably quite rare to have a friend who would spend that kind of money to acquire a system that he has come to admire from seeing your setup.

My advice would be to NOT go set up his system, unless you want to.