starting to think my rf5s are bit harsh...

nateg20

Hmmm... it just did for me too. They didn't used to want to work that way. My bad.

Your point remains valid. A statement like, "My RF-5 are sounding harsh" should really be stated as "my system sounds harsh". Perhaps the "new" has worn off the little SI, and he needs a more serious amp.

I'm using a variety of amps. Right now im listening to them through a sonic t amp with a huge power supply. generally its either that or an old fisher x-202-c. Some music they sound really great on, but other is so harsh its almost hard to listen to at any volume (pearl jam yield - track 9). I've tried changing sources as well, only cd players right now. I'm running them with some ubyte (tnt-audio.com) speaker cables i made a few years ago. Any suggestions?

could be my amp(s) but im really starting to doubt it. Ive hooked it to the amps i mentioned plus my marantz 2275, and my newer yamaha. Could be the cables though. I'll try those tomorrow. Any other suggestions besides pickin on my cheapo sonic t amp?

Pearl Jam is a great band,their recording quality leaves much to be desired on any speakers,imo(at least when cranked).Try some Steely Dan AJA,if it sounds like crap then you know its NOT the recording.

An amp that leans slightly towards the warm side should do the trick.

I once had some speaker cable I got from my Dad, I used it and I donts

know what was wrong with that speaker wire, but it made things sound

terrible, I got newer wire that is oxygen free and it made a big

difference. My Dad told me the wire was over 20 years old when Monster

first came out with that thick 10 gauge wire when he bought it. I guess

the wire is going bad or maybe that was how it was then?

Yes there is something you can do--

Tape a piece of kleenex or toilet paper over the horn.

Steve Hoffman (the recording engineer) posted that suggestion for harsh speakers. Seems it is 'an old recording studio staple'.

You can experiment with one ply, or two, Charmin, Scott.....

It actually does work. Just slightly attenuates the highs--and easy to change if you have an eventual change of gear, or play a dull recording.

Mark

In your profile, please specify your system: amps, subs, room size, most tastes, preferred volume level, etc. This will give thoughtful posters more of the right information they need to make insightful suggestions. Thanks.

Try a vibration isolation platform (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0404/ginkocloud10.htm) or making your own VIP (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/tweaks/) for your CD player.

Try new or audiophile recordings.

Try bookshelves along the wall or acoustic panels like Realtraps.

Try a new Blueberry tube Merlin pre-amplifier ($700).

10.gif

Forget the sources and amps and fix the speakers first! It will probably cost less and yield better results. Talk to DeanG above and get him to update the cost saving parts that are in those crossover networks - you will be very happy you did. Gone will be the hash and grain, treble harshness, and the presence and low end response will improve as well.

You won't regret it!

RF on AC power can add grain or harshness. If you can, try a power line filter. Then there's possible improvement of crossover caps. I don't know what history there is of upgrading caps in crossovers of your speakers.

Leo