Long-term auto loans - sources?

wuzzzer

I agree, you will be upsidedown as soon as you drive it off the lot. They are going 72 and 84 months on Harleys now, which is way too long, even for a Harley. 60 months should be the maximum on any vehicle loan. If you are looking to drive more car than you can afford, check into leasing one. But, read the fine print carefully!

you looking for one of those 144 month loans like they give on RVs and Boats? There great, you buy a 10k boat and wind up paying about 30k for the thing.

There is an old saying, if it flies or floats rent it don't buy it.

The saying I heard about cars is there are only two types, those that run and those that don't, get you a cheap toy.

----------------

On 7/26/2005 10:10:25 PM wuzzzer wrote:

I was just wondering if
anyone has any online or otherwise sources that offer extended-term financing on vehicles...
in the 6-10 year range.

Any
help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

----------------

Lets see, a google search returns 789,000 hits for "long term financing lenders".

And since the concept of being 'upside down' is absolutely fundamental here, and as you know so much, I guess that the "ANY help would be greatly appreciated" is patently false!

One would wonder what would be the purpose of asking such an extremely vague question, without anticipating the obvious!?

Perhaps an equivalent question that could be posed while expressing the same shock and disbelief on this site would be to ask which Monster cable makes a Bose speaker sound better then any other cable/speaker combination!

Of course, only a wise and insightful fellow would ask such a question!

----------------

On 7/28/2005 5:33:21 PM wuzzzer wrote:

I'm not an idiot, I know what I'm doing. I simply asked if anyone knew of any long-term financing lenders. Thanks for all the 'words of wisdom' though.
"<a
http://jelloslug.com/shoforum/rolleyes.gif" border="0">

----------------

Wuzzzer,

Between the barbs there was good advice here. Pass up the long term financing of a vehicle unless you're looking at a car that you're sure will somehow appreciate in value (or at least hold it's value) over the loan term. I don't know of any new cars that do that unless you're speculating on a limited edtion Ferrari or something.

When I was in grad school, I went upside down on a car loan and I sure felt like an idiot. A young engineer that worked for me did the same thing (despite me trying to talk him out of it) and experienced the same sick feeling. We both made the mistake of thinking that we were smarter than the car salesman. Anymore, if I can't finance a car for three years or less (or better yet pay cash), it's just too much car. Just some advice from an idiot.

most manufactures are now offering 72 month loans now, i had a 60 mo. loan approved in ten minutes tuesday night by capital one. funny thing though wed. when i went to buy, the gm deale beat them by almost one point 2 good a deal to pass up and i had the loan term and interest rate put into the sale agreement CYA.this way theres no "adjustments" on friday when i get my new sierra

I will tell you what I have done with my last 4 cars over the last 12 years. I have several credit cards with up around $25,000 on them and they send me 0% offers all the time. I rarely use credit cards for any other purpose as I pay cash for most things. I have bought my last 4 cars used that is, from dealers and payed with the credit card checks I get in the mail. I also do not even get my first bill for about 2 months by the time it is all processed and mailed to me. The card I put my last car on has a 0% for a year. They also offered me a 3.9% for the life of the loan but I saw no point as I keep it at 0% the whole time by flipping it when it is about over or paying it off. Sometimes it may cost a $50 transfer fee but that isn't a big deal compared to paying someone big dollars in interest. So, how about 0% for the last 12 years and still counting.

Peace,