Kenny Wayne Shepherd

jpm

I agree with Thirsty. Shepherd jams in that style of music, but SRV was the master. If you want the understudy, buy KWS. If you want the teacher, pick up Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Oh, some of the immortals died so young. One of the biggest guitar tragedies that I can think of (along with Hendrix and Rhodes).

Carl.

P.S. Notwithstanding the above, Shepherd still put out some quality stuff

KWS is good. He has a few albums, but does not sing, for that reason along, although his guitar style is like SRV there is no comparision.

His first or first two albums had a different front man then his last. Blue on Black is one of my favorites of his, again not his voice, he wrote it and played guitar.

----------------

On 8/3/2005 2:39:41 PM jpm wrote:

I have all of Stevie Ray's stuff (that I'm aware of anyway), but Stevie is dead, so I think I'll pick up some of Shepherd's stuff for a listen. Thanks for the advice.

----------------

Just checking but do you have 'In Sessions' w/ Albert King and SRV?, its available in SACD. Another worthwhile pick up if you don't.

I've been listening to Bryan Lee lately. Give that a listen. His solo stuff is not as flashy as SRV, a bit more old school guts with a touch of flash. Excellent blues story teller.

There is one CD out, cant remember the name, but it was recorded the last weekend before the closed the Absenth house in New Orleans. Has Kenny Wayne and Frank M as guests.

Good stuff.

JM

Greetings,

I saw KWS open for B.B. King some years back. He struck me as being a poor man's Stevie Ray Vaughn; as such, I wasn't overly impressed. I'd recommend spending your $$$ on SRV albums instead (and then get some Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker.......... 2.gif )

Take care,

Scott

KWS's best album is Ledbetter Heights, named after the neighborhood where SRV grew up in Oak Cliff, Texas, it's his tribute to SRV. He is from Shrevport, LA and his father was in the biz (promoter, I think)

I also think his best song is Blue on Black.

If you want some fresh but kickin blues, give Walter Trout a spin. I made a post about his DVD here: http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=68938&forumID=86&catID=24&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={5521DEA1-FC6A-4ADE-8DE2-31E99A5526E1}

"Just checking but do you have 'In Sessions' w/ Albert King and SRV?, its available in SACD. Another worthwhile pick up if you don't."

It's also available on CD. I have the SACD and the CD. The SACD is worth the upgrade. This is one of my favorites.

Both KWS and johnny Lang make for some good listening IMHO,if the blues is what your into,as i am,then you'll certainly find they hit the spot.Sure there not BB, Buddy or SRV, but a lot of those same old masters heap plenty of praise on these young pretenders,and for good reason.Also when you listen to LedBetter Heights's all the more amazing to think that KWS was around sixteen years old at the time.I've been playing the blues for 35 years,i'd like to sit down for just 35 minutes with either one of em.