Help my nephew pick a college.

sputnik

----------------

On 8/8/2005 12:02:07 PM mandi wrote:

Wangdang you hit it on the head. If interested in military and leadership, he should think about West Point, great well rounded education with a military leadership twist.

I also second Georgia Tech.

If it is a small school, how about Colorado school of mines. Good eng. program.

----------------

I got my BSc at the Colorado School of Mines and my nephew was considering it. It was right for me - one of the best schools in the world for mining, petroleum, metallurgy, and applied geophysics but I don't think it would be a good match for what he wants.

The comments regarding humanities are well taken. When I went Mines only four humanities courses were required for graduation. Economics and technical writing courses counted as humanities. One of the best courses I ever took there, though, was a Russian literature course taught a visiting professor from Harvard. He was sponsored by an Exxon grant intended to provide a bit of culture to the deprived.

I agree about the military academies. Some of the best engineers I've worked with were from the academies. Probably the highest cost expenditure per student of any university.

Added:

Bill H., thanks, I was going to ask if anyone knew anything about Rose Hulman. Also, Harvey Mudd - with an enrollment of only 400 and being part of Claremont, it must be an incredible education.

If it's engineering he wants and leaning toward EE... If he's ruled out Standford and MIT definitly check out Illinois at U/C. It is always ranked in the top 5 for it's eng. school, it's a big 10 school so sports and social activities are plentiful, and it's liberal arts programs are great as well so the total educational experience becomes good and well rounded. The only downer about it is its size. It's HUGE! But that can be good. Their facilities are down right awesome. Like someone else said the engineering library alone takes up a block. I got my degree there and I thought it was a great place. A lot of top minds are either there or have been there..... Everything from the transistor, LED, foundations of the internet etc.... all have roots at UofI. I am somewhat biased but it's a great school. Off the top of my head their facilities included a working semiconductor fab lab (from Intel), antenna design lab, working nuclear reactor, a National Center for Supercomputing, and a bunch of other stuff to much to list. You can do pretty much whatever inspires you and have world class faculty and equipment to work alongside.

----------------

On 8/8/2005 11:28:04 PM itsawomanthing wrote:

How about University of Iowa's Industrial/Manufacturing Engineering (College of Engineering. Maybe not one of the top named schools but definately a good education and he'll be closer to home than in an Ivy League school.

Just my 2 cents worth.
1.gif

----------------

itsawomanthing,

Thank you for your first post here and welcome. I think you make a good point about schools outside of the "elite " circle providing an excellent education. We've hired interns from our local universities (Montana State University and Montana Tech) with great results every time - they've gone on and accomplished some pretty amazing things.

I just graduated from Purdue with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I would highly recommend it, although it was extremely difficult. I would also recommend Illinois, but it sounds like he is able to shoot for the the big names like MIT. I found that there are A LOT more opportunities to spread out and take some liberal arts classes at a Big 10 type school as opposed to a technical school. Also, the social aspect of a public school is very different that a technical school (although Purdue is one of the most conservative schools in the Big 10). However if one has the opportunity to go to MIT, you can't really beat that for engineering.

For pure degree power it'd be hard to beat MIT, Harvard or Yale. The Big 10 has several excellent engineering schools, as noted. Purdue, Illinois, Michigan and dear old Penn State, which is particularly strong aerospace and nuclear engineering. Research options and facilities are excellent and we have a huge Applied Research Lab for the Navy.

West Point and Annapolis are great options IF he is HIGHLY motivated. You will not slide through the acadamies, but will get an excellent education and career opportunities if you can stick it out.

DGB, Count em up, PSU is the 11th in the big 10. I remember fondly the days before PSU was allowed in our exclusive club. Sort of a Big 10-Lite school.

Just kidding some good natured ribbing from a UofM grad. I do love Joe-Pa! State college PA is a nice area too.

We are!.....

Top to bottom the Big 10 is the best conference in the country. At least our athletes have to beable to read, unlike the SEC. :)

It's good to have Michigan back on the schedule again, although we'll probably get our asses kicked this year. After 1994 I thought we'd be ruling the Big 10, shows what I knew.

All PSU needs to do is score more than 21 points a game, and they'll be fine. The defense is spectacular.

PSU going to the Big 10 was mainly about academics since the Big 10 Schools have the reputation and facilities that are comparable to PSU. It was also about finding a home for our outstanding non-revenue teams like Gymnastics, Swimming, Fencing, Wrestling and girls Basketball. Paterno tried to get a Big East conference for years but could never get everyone on board, particularly Syracuse. He tried to get Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple, BC, Pitt, Notre Dame, WVU, Miami to form a Big East ten years before it happened. The Big 10 was too good an opportunity to pass up.

If we could get ND to agree to a Big10 football agreement, that would be awsome since so many Big 10 teams already have a rivalry with them. Academically Notre Dame definately does not fit into the Big 10.

• Like 1

I'll add my .02

Carnegie Mellon is an awesome school especially for electrical, computer and robotic engineering.

I'll also toss in The University of Texas at Austin, my alma mater. Consistently one of the best engineering schools as rated by US News and World Reports.

Paul