• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:51:31 PM Parrot wrote:

Let's see, I'm trying to remember how many SET amps McIntosh made. Any McIntosh experts out there who could help? I'm thinking it was somewhere between none and zero.

----------------

After the jazz comment...This may qualify as the SECOND stupidest comment made on this forum.

Since when is McIntosh the benchmark for amplifier design and Parrot the arbiter of amplifier suitability?

Jaz,

Re:

"Once you can begin to understand that there are quality amps capable of providing a good 1st watt, and that Klipsch speakers, among others, are capable of utlizing that first watt fairly effectively, it could possibly open the mind to many other revelations."

Consider this revelation please - I don't think music is loud until I am surpassing 110db's continually. On the Khorns, we need what, 4 watts to hit that level @ 1 meter. Now sit back 15 feet and calculate the wattage necessary to provide that 110db's at your listening spot. THAT is why a 3.5 watt amp is not going to work for me.

The 95dbs Alan mentions IS conversation level to me. Hell, my tv is that loud right now. Alan says jazz is just beginning to open up at that level so that is great cause "loud" is what I am after and just to mention it so there is no confusion, it must be loud AND clean.

----------------

On 8/8/2005 10:29:22 PM NOSValves wrote:

In fact almost all SET design's sold and marketed today are indeed nock off's from the stone ages of audio! Tube audio designers gave up on the topolgy after the 1940's. Hmmmmmm I wonder why
2.gif

----------------

??????????????????

Here's one Knockoff I wouldn't mind owning ( as well as this version of the Khorn)

This 18 watt SET amp had filled the 1500 sf room with music like no other (wether it was tube,ss or chip based system) .

----------------

On 8/8/2005 9:28:47 PM jazman wrote:

If you can't see the ridiculous nature of the statement of one Dr. Who to claim one has played Jazz, but needs to have someone name a song to know if he played it, woe be unto you.

----------------

And again I've been misinterpreted...still wondering when that biography will be finished.

The comment was a sarcastic light hearted way to point out that you are the master of all that is jazz and even all that I've ever experienced...I was merely asking for a list of your preapproved and qualified jazz titles so that I could list the ones I was familiar with (instead of the other way around where I list what I'm familiar with and then have to deal with you claiming that none of it was jazz).

ya know, i've been demo'ing some of the mentioned songs and artists mentioned throughout the thread and have yet to hear something I like. Gosh, what does it take for someone to be qualified enough to claim they don't like a genre? nobody would be giving me this crap if I said I hated rap or country music...or even rock for that matter.

I do find it ironic though that a low powered amp discussions is somehow so intimately tied up with the jazz genre... 2.gif4.gif

"After the jazz comment...This may qualify as the SECOND stupidest comment made on this forum.

Since when is McIntosh the benchmark for amplifier design and Parrot the arbiter of amplifier suitability?"

I second that!

----------------

On 8/8/2005 10:25:26 PM NOSValves wrote:

Mr. Jizzman needs to refill his lithium prescription. He has come out lashing his vile nasty comment's on a public forum once again. I think it would be a good idea to report this behavior to your Psychotherapist.

----------------

Mr BUB (aka NOSValves), you're the only one who has mentioned the words vile and nasty. If you can't understand what you read, don't try to pretend it's the other person who has a problem, and please don't start using the Parrot's tired lines. Tsk, tsk.

BTW, refer to the subject of this thread!

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 8/8/2005 11:16:01 PM gullahisland wrote:

After the jazz comment...This may qualify as the SECOND stupidest comment made on this forum.

Since when is McIntosh the benchmark for amplifier design and Parrot the arbiter of amplifier suitability?

----------------

Sheesh! I can only marvel at the rudeness of several posters in this thread. Have you no sense of decency? Clearly your mothers did not raise you properly (as the French like to say).

But to fully explain it: For the many here who respect and collect McIntosh gear, I simply pointed out that McIntosh made *no* SET amps. Do you care to speculate why that was?

This is a little off the subject, but since you're both here: Neo, whatever happened with the EICO HF-81 you made a big deal about giving free to Jazman? Last anyone heard, you didn't follow through. There was even speculation that you never had an EICO in the first place. But if Jazman did get it from you after all, we'd be interested in his thoughts on how it sounds with his jazz record.

It seems clear to me that all the literature sourced from Klipsch indicate that amplifiers of 20 watts or greater is required to drive a Klipschorn to satisfactory listening levels. I don't think that implies we should drive this amplifier to clipping. My ears wouldn't take it anyway.

What it does imply is that the choosen amplifier has enough headroom to give me the 90 to 95 db peaks in my listening rooms at all frequncies within the audible range. Lower powered amplifiers tend to sacrifice the frequency extremes, but still offer an adequate rendition of the midrange.

Most of us have experimented with spl meters. I was quite amazed that when listening to music at average levels around 95 db, and then resetting the spl meter to peak read, I was hitting peaks around 103 to 105 db.

The doesn't mean to say that lower powered amplifiers can't work. I just can't see how 3.5 watts can give you that headroom, especially in moderate to large rooms.

It amazes me that some of you guys can't acknowledge that without resorting to quite rude comments.

In relation to Jazz, I getting to quite like this genre, despite the incredible arrogance I've observed on this Forum. I like other music too. But I certainly don't slag others for their musical tastes.

----------------

On 8/8/2005 10:29:22 PM NOSValves wrote:

In fact almost all SET design's sold and marketed today are indeed nock off's from the stone ages of audio! Tube audio designers gave up on the topolgy after the 1940's. Hmmmmmm I wonder why
2.gif

----------------

Please refer to Coda's fine post.

" Early tube amplifiers had only very low power capabilities and required very efficient and powerful loudspeaker systems. The horn loudspeaker was the only existing loudspeaker concept which was able to transfer low electrical power into high sound levels. The Klipschorn was literally made with low-powered amplifiers in mind. Check out the lead article of the High Fidelity Magazine 1951 for more insight.

SET was used in some early commercial applications (e.g. 1930s theatre amps), but wasn't really available to the general consumer (and Klipsch community) until the early 1990s via Cary Audio. Paul Klipsch liked the 2A3 tube for a reason. Listen to one to find out, whether PP or SET.

Once you realize why Parrot didn't use his 20wpc graphic in any of the low-powered tripath threads you'll let this one die. ."

So Mr BUB(aka NOSValves) what BS are you spinning to purchasers of your 50 yr old technology knockoff amps. "It's the latest thing since singled ended technology presented an unsplit signal!" And how much are you charging? That's rich! All the way to the bank baby!

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 8/9/2005 12:05:50 AM edwinr wrote:

It seems clear to me that all the literature sourced from Klipsch indicate that amplifiers of 20 watts or greater is required to drive a Klipschorn to satisfactory listening levels. I don't think that implies we should drive this amplifier to clipping. My ears wouldn't take it anyway.

What it does imply is that the choosen amplifier has enough headroom to give us the 90 to 95 db peaks in our respective listening rooms at all frequncies within the audible range. Lower powered amplifiers tend to sacrifice the frequency extremes, but still offer an adequate rendition of the midrange.

Most of us have experimented with spl meters. I was quite amazed that when listening to music at average levels around 95 db, and then resetting the spl meter to peak read, I was hitting peaks around 103 to 105 db.

The doesn't mean to say that lower powered amplifiers can't work. I just can't see how 3.5 watts can give you that headroom, especially in moderate to large rooms.

It amazes me that some of you guys can't acknowledge that without resorting to quite rude comments.

In relation to Jazz, I getting to quite like this genre, despite the incredible arrogance I've observed on this Forum. I like other music too. But I certainly don't slag others for their musical tastes.
----------------

HELLO??????????????????????????????

Earth to edwinr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you manage to keep up? Would suggest maybe you go back far enough to realize the difference between marketing and FACT. If not, Please refer to the subject of this thread.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 8/9/2005 12:17:54 AM jazman wrote:

HELLO??????????????????????????????

Earth to edwinr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you manage to keep up? Would suggest maybe you go back far enough to realize the difference between marketing and FACT. If not, Please refer to the subject of this thread.

Klipsch out.

----------------

Hey, Edmond. Give me a break! YOU try and read through this thread from start to finish from Down Under! 9.gif

EDIT: Anyhow - how's your new T/T going?

Perhaps a quick recap is in order.

1) If you want to have to pick and choose your source material, restricting it to non-demanding music, OR if you don't notice or mind amplifier-induced compression and clipping, OR if you always listen to music at a level in which you can easily carry on conversations during the loudest portions, then a low-watt amp bears some consideration.

2) PWK suggested that 20W per channel be considered the minimum power rating used with his speakers if you want to be able to experience them to their full extent. Up to 100W is even better. No speaker is 100% efficient and it's also important to have adequate headroom. The goal is to be able to achieve 5 acoustic watts musically, not just with a single test tone.

3) Ezra Pound could write rings around William Carlos Williams, even though WCW isn't bad.

4) Several Forum members in this thread have been extremely uncivil and it reflects badly on the way they were raised.