La Scala zero distortion volume

nightrider

I would like to pose a question to you Klipshophiles. I get zero distortion from my just aquired La Scala speakers no mater how many SPLs I chose to imploy! My question is, are all the heritage speakers the same in this respect? I am overwhelmed by the lack of distortion as the volume nears uncomfortable levels. Holy realism Batman. nightrider

For what it's worth, per the research done at the House Ear Institute, the limitation of the ear naturally square waves a perfect acoustical sine wave by 110 dB. Rather like a shock absorber bottoming out! Nice to know that the effective clamping of the mechanical system in your ear quits before the capability of your system!

So the irony is that you ARE listening to distortion regardless of the capability of the audio system!

But aside from doing damage to your hearing, it also plays tricks with the inner ear and your equilibrium - creating a rather whoosie high feeling. If any of you remember Grand Funk in 1970, Don Kirschener (pre In Concert) was responsible for them demanding an SR system capable of doing just that! And I think just about everyone's ears rang for a day or two after their show if you were anywhere on the floor! Can we say 'class action suit'! Oh, but everyone loved it! - despite the inconvenience of not hearing well for a day or two afterwards!2.gif9.gif

----------------

On 8/9/2005 7:14:50 PM joessportster wrote:

dont know if all are this way but i just finished driving my belles to very uncomfortable level with van halen ill wait, my ears gave up before the belles or any other gear i employ
10.gif
Joe
----------------

I bet you did1.gif watch out it can become addictive.

----------------

On 8/9/2005 7:42:43 PM bkrop wrote:

What???????

----------------

Bkrop,

The Grand Funk reference made me think of the Dead's "wall of sound." That's all.

Doesn't Deep Purple hold the record for the loudest concert?

Sorry for the hijack.

If anyone is interested in a complete technical breakdown of the Dead's 'Wall of Sound' system (built by Alembic (Ron Wickersham) and which was NOT designed to be a traditional SR system), you can find such in Don & Carolyn Davis' Sound System Engineering on pages 533-535.

And few people are as qualified to comment (aside from Ron and Dan Healy!), as many times as the Dead called upon them for assistance and collaboration!

A fascinating experiment!

Ah yes. I heard this in Louisville in 74. All the loudness one could want, with no hot spots. Utterly mellow, no ear-ringing. Got too expensive to haul around. When I saw the Dead for the second time in DC in 90, they were using a traditional two-stack with fill. Sic Transit Gloria.

I saw the wall of sound a couple times in the 70s but I was just a wee lad. Don't remember much except there were a LOT of speakers! I love it when Bob Weir would get on the mic after about 20 minutes of fiddling with the sound system and say, "This should sound really good when we get it all figured out. At least it says so on paper."10.gif

Gary> What was a reference to hearing impairment,we just crossed posts, in a good karma way...

Heritage speakers don't seem loud until you go into the next room!(or you try to talk to someone over what seems to be a "pleasant" SPL level)