OT. How do I get rid of Barnet The Bat ...Non lethally?

lynnm

For three nights running we have had a brown bat in our house. Each time I have managed to get him/her/it/them ( at the risk of sounding speciesist..They really all look alike to me 11.gif )out of the house. I don't want to kill the little pest A: because they really do play hell with the local mosquito population and B: it/he/etc. is kind of cute.

I have scoured the house looking for where he is getting in and have found nothing.

Any non-lethal suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A guess...

Check around the 'seam' of the chimney and your attic/eave. This is often the point of ingress into the attic.

Put up a good bat house (and observe the 'critical' placement issues! They do matter!) and welcome them to the neigborhood!

If that doesn't work, the next time you catch it, sit down and have a nice long talk. I'm sure if it understands your feelings it will be glad to move on (hey, bats have feelings too!). Failing that, play Stevie Nicks 24 hours a day. While effective, the only down side to that is that the entire neighborhood will want to move as well! 2.gif9.gif

Bats are much easier than a bird to catch, I caught a few in a local hospital.

When he comes flying towards you throw a sheet up at the last moment and he will fly right in and the sheet and bat will fall to the floor. Pick them up and release him outside. Very easy!

A 410 double barrol shotgun is best. Dont be so woosey Its only a rat with wings. Its not likely to become a promenent leader of a country or a Einstein. There are billions of these critters to take care of the insect population.Ide worry more about rabies.

two things;

1. do not pick up a bat with your hands! they carry rabies!

2. I have used with a high frequency tone generaor to keep them out of my house, it has worked pretty well (i.e. 4 bats per year in my house versus >20 in the house next store to mine). I got mine from the sharper image, the seem to sell them in most home catalogs these days. they are a piezio tweeter and a signal generator chiop nothing more...

regards, tony

I know of a church that had problems with bats. They tried all sorts of things to get rid of them. Finally, the pastor just baptized them and made them members of his congregation. They haven't been back.

If you guys are lucky enough to have them all around, PLEASE put up a bat house or two, but PLEASE check into the proper placement! Exposure, etc is critical!

And bats are truly having trouble! Especially with all the good folks out carrying torches & treating them like vampires and wanting to kill the 'rats with wings'!!!!!!!! Do a little MORE research!

And I do think Stevie Nicks would be a greater broadband deterent for just about anything, bats included, surpassed perhaps only by Morrisey - (you know, the guy where the band plays one song, and he sings another!!!) But with Stevie, who knows what the words are!! Or what key she is in! Hell, she doesn't know what dimension she is in!!!! And I am convinced they simply have some publicist make up some non-sensical new ageish words that coincidentally sound alike in a few places just as liner filler! Besides her irritaing machine gun like vibrato is sure to scare any self respecting bat (hey- anyone!) into NEVER comiing back!

On the other hand, if you want to attract the bats, you could play Sarah McLachlan and we could all sit around swaying with goofy grins as if waiting for the next song to be a sing along of Kumbaya!9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif2.gif2.gif3.gif3.gif

----------------

On 8/11/2005 4:21:35 PM Marvel wrote:

I know of a church that had problems with bats. They tried all sorts of things to get rid of them. Finally, the pastor just baptized them and made them members of his congregation. They haven't been back.
----------------

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

2 points!!!!

Well he didn't come back yesterday....maybe he is p*ssed about my inhospitable attitude. I give him credit for being a feisty little son of a gun. The last time he was in he landed in my bathtub and couldn't get any traction so it was an easy matter to wrap him up in a small towel and turn him loose outside. The little guy cussed me out roundly. I think he was ready to go a couple of rounds with me 9.gif

Hopefully he will stay away now.