An amp that really slams!

I'm on the quest for yet another amp, but I want one that will slam my rf-3's to their max without sacrificing transparity in the mids and highs. Tube or SS sugestions welcome. Will be running a tube pre, as my budget is concerned I would like it to be under $1000, the lower the better, however I will pay up to that ammount.

----------------

On 8/13/2005 3:05:34 PM Duke Spinner wrote:

----------------

On 8/13/2005 4:02:37 AM dragonfyr wrote:

If you can afford to have the electrical service upgraded, ---------------

now,Now, DraGon ...

you can't get 3 phase service at a residence...!!!

those are used in MRI machines ...as ..... an Amplifier ....

----------------

Sure you can! Lots of home studios and shops have this type of service.

Most folks do not know that Techron (Crown) is a medical instrumentation manufacturer first- whose amps just happen to kick rear for audio!

Now I'm not saying you have to!!! (Hence the tongue in cheek recommendation!!) And few people are needing mega power to drive .5 ohm loads. But THIS amp does it, and I have seen MORE then a few used for JUST this purpose - albeit in commercial sound rigs.

I just got a kick out of listing it for the benefit of those who are not as aware of what is available for use (more often!!!!) in the non-consumer pro world!

And besides, you never know when you'll need a backup for that oh so convenient home MRI machine! I wonder if this comes with a fancy power cord or if you have to buy the magical after market candy colored current generating power cord??? Gee, life is SOOOOO difficult!

2.gif9.gif9.gif

Dude ...there is no 3 phase power at the street in residential nieghborhoods...

you have one Hi-line, thats it...

your 220vac Nominal Single Phase is derived from the Single Hi-Line ....

if you lived on a main street, you mught be able to talk the power company into running the Secondary feeder to your residence , thats after you bought the C.T. cabinet, 400 amp meter socket ......

typically, you'l spend 3 or 4 thousand dollars

Oooooh , and the Big Bummer ... ya gotta pay Demand charges

say , if you didn't use much Electric, maybe an extra $120, or so a month

----------------

On 8/13/2005 4:29:10 PM Duke Spinner wrote:

Dude ...there is no 3 phase power at the street in residential nieghborhoods...

----------------

For the price of a new 3 series Beemer, one could pick up a nice used gas turbine generator that will do 3 phase. Loads of clean power for that late night sound at any time of the day. Neighbors might not be too impressed with the jet engine noise, but with an amp like that, they're bound to be cranky anyway.

I have 3 phase power. The original owner got it run somehow back in the 50's. Duke, even though it could be considered commercial power, my bill is residential class, so I'm not buggered with the usage fee.

I have a commercial 3 phase A/C. It's delightfully stingy with electric.

----------------

On 8/12/2005 11:52:05 PM crazytubepower wrote:

I'm on the quest for yet another amp, but I want one that will slam my rf-3's to their max without sacrificing transparity in the mids and highs. Tube or SS sugestions welcome. Will be running a tube pre, as my budget is concerned I would like it to be under $1000, the lower the better, however I will pay up to that ammount.

----------------

I know from personal experience, my B&K amp just friggan rocks! with my RF-7s. You should be able to score a two-channel B&K amp used within that budget.

Hahaha!

Come on guys! I am gettiing a laugh watching the debate!

Techron does make several amps that would be ideal if you could find them in good condition used (as they are NOT <$1000!!).

But this model, while definately the most capable amp for a sub you will find, is absurd for a normal home application! Or even an abnormal home application to go with the $20,000 turntable!

It's mono...yep! JUST like the friggin' LFE so many seem to love on their HT rigs! (And I will be the first to eschew the lousy mono format!)

To repeat, it's an absurd selection for a home amp!

Hence the warning when I posted it!

But - if you only had the $2500 power cord and the $10,000 interconnects to mate with it, then we could talk!2.gif9.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif

----------------

On 8/13/2005 9:19:52 PM dragonfyr wrote:

It's mono...yep! JUST like the friggin' LFE so many seem to love on their HT rigs! (And I will be the first to eschew the lousy mono format!)

----------------

Now, if we could just figure out how to get that bad-boy to work in the car! (I guess you could try trailering around that generator that was mentioned 10.gif) Talk about adding some serious thump! Would make you the envy of those snot-nosed punk thumping that rap crap around the 'hood from thier Honda Civics. 11.gif

----------------

On 8/13/2005 9:55:14 PM skonopa wrote:

Now, if we could just figure out how to get that bad-boy to work in the car! (I guess you could try trailering around that generator that was mentioned
10.gif
) Talk about adding some serious thump! Would make you the envy of those snot-nosed punk thumping that rap crap around the 'hood from thier Honda Civics.
11.gif

----------------

Hahaha! NOW you're talkin!!!

On the other hand, you can run them mono, as the folks have ANOTHER identical unit they will be posting shortly!!

So the absurd MAY be possible!!!

Or if you own a club, I can guarantee you will have the (all too rare!) respect of any band who comes to play! ...And I suspect the ire of folks in any two adjacent states!

....pardon me while I ponder where I saw that 10KW cigarette lighter inverter posted.....2.gif9.gif3.gif3.gif11.gif

As of yesterday afternoon, I'm the proud new owner of a brand new Carver Professional ZR1600 amp. 400 watts per side now in my RF7s. It is unbelievable. Everything about the speakers sound better. The bass is phenomenal. As good as they are, I'm ready to trade them in for full refund plus $2000 for a new set of LaScallas. I'm doing it for sure. I'm calling Klipsch Monday morning to see if the new LaScallas are worth waiting a few extra months for... if not, the LaScallas are mine by the end of the week. Power! Buy a ton of power. Buy 10 times more power than you need. It makes your system SING!

BTW, I removed 18 screws from the cover of the zr1600 and unplugged the clearly marked fan wire. It doesn't need the fan as long as it has a good air supply. It doesn't get hot.