What do the Mark III experts thing about these?

rplace

Nice but a little rich on price considering most likely the work was done 20 to 25 years. Its likely they will need some work sooner or later. Basically the mods are not extreme since there still using pentode/triode 7199 front end. I bet it sells for that price though.

Craig

those are HUMONGOUS Mallory caps on that extra chassis! That name Keys rings a bell I think, wasn´t that the guy who got into trouble for publishing an ST-70 mod comparo in Glass Audio, where he chose his mod as the best? Anyway I think the price is a bit high also, though I see nothing wrong with keeping the original 7199 front end, that is a nice tube (performance-wise) they are just kinda hard to find and you MUST use good USA NOS versions of the tube to get best sound. I would wait for a great condition stock MkIII and send it off for rebuilding with new, better caps. regards, tony

Too much coin for my current list of must have items. Belle center, new crossovers, upgraded turntable and cart are all above this on my priority list.

However, I would like to have a pair of them some day and was wondering if something along this line is a good goal or simply getting nice old pair and having them freshened up. There seems to be a never ending list of mark IIIs with mods on audiogon and the like. Did anybody catch the Ferrari red pair there now?

So what is the consensus are you better off getting the stock models that need some elbow grease and having them recapped or is letting somebody else tweak them to no end and buying once they are done a better move?

What is a fair price (not a seal and not paying through the nose) for ones that are bone stock and in need of a trip to Craigs pad just to get them usable?

----------------

On 8/22/2005 2:58:09 PM NOSValves wrote:

Mark III's in bone stock needing a overhaul regularly sell for $500 to $750 depending on there consmetic condition.

----------------

Thanks Craig. But that would have to be per pair, right? Not each?

I think the laws of diminishing returns hold here considering the price. I have a pair of Mark IIIs with new cap boards and a slightly improved driver board using pairs of 6DJ8s and KT90s in the final. There might be some subtle differences between mine and the ones pictured, but I expect it might require instrumentation to detect it. Stock, and well maintained, the MARK IIIs are superb. All else tends to be gilding the liley.

But, of course, I get out of patience with the "improvements" that some of the brothers claim to have made to Klipschorns. You can trust me on this, when improvements were needed, Paul made them --and never mind the cost.

DRBILL

----------------

On 8/22/2005 3:32:46 PM rplace wrote:

----------------

On 8/22/2005 2:58:09 PM NOSValves wrote:

Mark III's in bone stock needing a overhaul regularly sell for $500 to $750 depending on there consmetic condition.

----------------

Thanks Craig. But that would have to be per pair, right? Not each?

----------------

Yes, that is per pair. And I think the ones in the above auction are ugly. I agree with Dr. Bill when it comes to the degree to which the mods improve things. I've seen some real crazy looking mods out there. I'd trust Craig with a pair of MKIII's.

But, of course, I get out of patience with the "improvements" that some of the brothers claim to have made to Klipschorns. You can trust me on this, when improvements were needed, Paul made them --and never mind the cost.

DRBILL

-----------------------------------------

I'am so glad you mentioned this DRBILL! It has bothered me also when people say PWK was building to a price point/compromise. In all of PWK's writtings I have gotten the impression that he was always searching and open to improving the Khorn and when there was a measurable or audible improvement deemed worthy he had it implemented in the design but my impression is HE WAS ALWAYS TRYING TO MAKE THE KHORN THE BEST HE POSSIBLY COULD NO MATTER WHAT THE COST IF IT REALLY WAS AN IMPROVEMENT.

Seems fine to me for people to experiment with their Khorns as PWK continued to do for as long as its been in production what I don't agree with is saying PWK compromised his design for cost savings.

mike1.gif

----------------

On 8/23/2005 12:38:56 AM charlieboy wrote:

heres a few choices

----------------

I looked at those two after checking out the heavly modded pair on ebay. Those read ones are for sure not my cup of tea. The other pair look nice, but still a few things on my list ahead of new amps. Keep the suggestions coming...if the right pair pops up who knows.