Trey said this would get me started on the forum.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Them's fighting words around here, at least most of the time. Amy has had to close more files with that topic than all others except Trey's next introductory line for you, SET is better than PP.

Nothing like a significant other to lead the lamb to slaughter, so to speak. [;)]

Mrs. Trey....so you got snookered into a HOT BUTTON topic by your other half. For what it's worth I wished I had this input awhile back. I've just returned to quality SS from what was supposed to be quality tubes. IMHO the SS is better than what I was using. ( I do, however, still use a tube based DAC, the Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista). Many others will now trample all over this, hopefully with tact and sensitivity.[:P]

Personally, I think the debate is a bit old [:P][;)], but I enjoy seeing that so many respond to it in much the same way that cables spur such an emotional debate!. It is more akin to a debate over preferring a stick shift to an automatic. A properly designed form of either works well.

But there is more inherent personal interaction with the tube amp, if only because the tubes are consumable components! (contrary to the expressed assumptions of a few on this forum!) So there is more involved in the care and feeding (and total cost of operation!) of a tube amp.

A good description of the fundamental differences between the two topologies is presented in the attached article focused on guitar amplifiers provided by a relative unknown by the name of Marshal Leach, PhD from that little school known as Georgia Tech.[;)] The conclusion is contrary to the oft cited odd-even harmonic content reasoning. And the result lends itself to a further exploration of the Nyquist and Heyser spirals to further examine the characteristics!

The conclusions are also supported by others such as Aspen Pittman and John Murphy.

TubeVsTransLeach.pdf

what did he say? dragon, you've got to quit staying up all night reading the 'cyclepaedia! LOL

Is there any way to LOCK in my font and color choice?

Oh, and MUCH better avatar Mrs Trey. I was hoping you didn't look like James Morrison, that would be scary!

Michael

OK, for those like Mr Camera [:P] who are just too busy to mess with learning all of this obtuse stuff, the results are:

After a whole series of measurements and technical analysis...:

"Listening tests indicate two causes for the the differences in perceived sound of tube and transistor guitar amplifiers. These are ripple intermodulation distortion and frequency response differences caused by the output impedance of the amplifier. Although ripple intermodulation distortion is easily detected by trained listeners, only one of seventeen test subjects was able to detect it without training. The change in frequency response caused by the high output impedance of the tube amp is by far the predominant cause for differences.

The differences in speaker damping were not detected by the listeners. Also not detected were the differences in the harmonic content of an overloaded signal in the power amplifiers."

the manual is much better than the automatic!!!!

In the hands of a professional driver, the manual is better. But your

normal guy can't possibly shift as well under all circumstances as an

automatic can. Standard shift is also much more dangerous for people

talking on cell phones, or eating, or drinking while driving.

audiobliss69 wrote the following post at 08-30-2005 12:50 PM:

icon-quote.gif
dragonfyr wrote:

It is more akin to a debate over preferring a stick shift to an automatic. A properly designed form of either works well.
Those two debates are not at all alike; the manual is
much
better than the automatic!!!!

---------------------------------------------

Personally I
love
a manual! But you have to define your frame of reference!

But as far as being "better"? Really!?

Try ordering a 1/2 ton+ pickup to be used for towing with a manual and see what the factory says! (and no folks! these are not the 18 wheel transmissions!)

General Motors, Ford and far too many others (who have made and sold a
few
trucks) recommend an automatic transmission for trailer towing and reduce the Trailer Weight Rating with a manual transmission.

The gear changes are electronically controlled and hydraulically actuated.

When accelerating from a standing start, the engine's torque is multiplied by the torque converter, which is, in turn, multiplied by the transmission's gears. This provides more load-starting performance than most manual transmissions, with the added benefit of the torque converter allowing the engine to speed up for good power development without slipping the clutch. These are the main reasons automatic transmissions are generally recommended for trailer towing.

Would this be analogous to why I wouldn't want to try to weld with my Audio Research amps but wouldn't mind using my Crown Macro-techs in a pinch?

[
:D
][
:P
][6][
:)
]