Opinions on SVS subs

myram

I think I have decided what my next upgrade will be......a SVS 25-31PC subwoofer. I have heard many many good things about these subs, and I think it is what I need to push my system to the next level.

So if anyone has any experiences or reviews that they would like to post about SVS subs.....I would like to hear them before I make the purchase.

Thanks,

Steve

------------------

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG 1.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (fronts)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

Monster Cable M-series Speaker Cable and subwoofer cable

Monster Component, S-Video, and Optical cables

RS HT Gold Interconnects

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve -

I have the SVS 20-39CS and I love it. I have heard a system with 2 of these bad boys in a HT on teh second floor of a house and they move the floor quite impressively. I have mine on the the 1st floor of a single floor house (humm) and the floor is solid concrete so I don't get a whole lot of floor movement but you can certainly feel the bass. This woofer is good for music and HT. It reacts very quickly and is not at all "boomy".

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 09-25-2001 at 10:26 AM

Steve,

I have the 20-39cs as well. My experiences have been the same as eq's. To my surprise and delight, it is indeed a very musical sub! I do use mine in conjunction with a KSW 12 sub, but that's more due to the fact that I already had the KSW 12 and will keep it. After adding the SVS I decided to try all speakers set to small. I was so pleased with the SVS' performance that they are still set to small. To me it says a lot when a sub can produce bass (especially musically), that equals that of 4 Cornwalls! The 20-39cs is a willing and extremely good performer.

Wes

Just was on the SVS site and both the "standrad" and Ultra subs use very high quality drivers.

The Ultra uses a driver that could fit in the Aerial SW12!Really nice.

The output of SVS subs is very impressive,and in a cylinder cabinet with a solid external amp these should perform wonders.Cabinet coloration is eliminated

to almost nothing!

I just wish TV and the gang would built a real wood veneer covered cylinders.And real hardwood top and bottom plates.At an extra

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Well EAR, SVS are working on there newest line of subs as we speaks the SS line. These are going to be in wood and have hardwood bottoms, lots more info about them on there website about it.

I'm running Dual 20-39CS with the Samson S700 amp and all i can say is WOW>

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KG4 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Good news,I cant wait to see what they look like...and sound like.If they perform on par with the Ultra its plenty of bass even for me! Smile.gif

Now the Ultras looks like a killer bargain at under $2500(two Ultras and Samson 1000 amp included).

Early next year I plan to order two Ultras with the Samson 1000.Even if I use the Carver TFM-75(the Samson can always be used on the Cylinder series SVS later).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Question?

I have a KSW 200 sub but I am considering getting a

SVS 25-31PC or CS with an outboard amp. I do not need the Sampson because I do not think I will get a second SVS sub since I have the Klipsch.

1) Which would be better - The PC or a CS with outboard

amp?

2) Also, will it match with the KSW 200?

3) What should I do with the KSW 200? Should I use it

line level or speaker level with either my center (C-7)

or my surrounds (ls/rs KSP S-6 rear s KSF S-5). My mains are KLF-20s.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!Confused.gif

aab3rd if you dont need only one SVS then get the SVS with the built in amp.

I still prefer the SVS subs with no amps,then I can get the power amp I want to power the sub(even a Bryston ah how great it sounds).

I did not hear the KSW200(I have the KSW12 and 15)but I think for HT it should sound good with the SVS sub.

Like the KSW 12/15 did not have any problems with Aerial/revel/Sunfire subs.Its a matter of cut off freq. and level matching.Positioning is crucial with subs.

For HT you can run your surrounds full range and use the KSW200 to take care of bass.Speaker level could(should)do the trick here.Or run the all the speakers SMALL and let the SVS and KSW200 take care of the sub bass.

All my subs in my HT setup run from the sub line out!

Hope it helps

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks EAR(s)!

I understand about sub placement but have never really checked for propper placement of sub.

BUT I do wonder if I have the sub set up correctly as to crossover etc. I run a Parasound Pre with crossover set to 80 and sub low pass set to 120 (maximum) per Parasound manual. Do not have sub manual (long story) even though I bought it new from a dealer. I have high pass set to 80. Does this even matter using sub-in input on back.

The sub sits in a corner on a hardwood floor.

It does not sound "tight". Should I put it on spikes?

This sub is a 200 watt sub and the room is approx 400 sqft with 9 ft cieling, is the sub too small?

If so, having another sub should help.

hey gang! howzabout the rsw-15?? avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

When you say the sub does not sound tight,is it clean bass?Tight may mean many things,some consider the M&K to be very tight because they can go up in frequency and give you the dry punch.

If the sub is cut around 80Hz its hard to get a dry punch.As long as the bass is clean and does not lag behind it good.

Try and change the position of the sub...put the sub where you will sit(play some bassy music or movies) and walk around the room.The spot where the bass is most to you liking place you sub there(if not in the way ...too much).

The crossover around 80Hz looks(sounds LOL) ok to me.

Avman I did not listen to the RSW15,I will get the RSW10(DOH) when(and IF) my Klipsch dealer gets one this week.Get does not mean I will buy it,I take it for tests,if its better then the KSW12 in a big way then the RSW15 should be awesome.

I post my finds here for sure

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Yeah Yeah Bacevedo no problem.

I see you tag team with TV from SVS and Boa12 against TheEAR(s) now! LOL

You know TV likes to argue,even if I tell him his SVS Ultra are great he will want to prove his sub sueriority against all other subs.Fine with me

I like to argue too,The Krell Monster Reference Bass Chest(like Colin likes to call it)is chip(heay chip) on TV's shoulder now.And its all my fault. Frown.gif

LOL

I'll let you know how the Klipsch RSW10 performs.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hey Ears - no tag teaming - just agreeing with him. If I agree with you I will let you know! Smile.gif

I have a lot of respect for TV - he tells it like it is. If he thinks there is a better sub for the money - he will tell you. He doesn't always push his sub for all applications - shows he really is into the best bass for the buck!

Bryan

Well I agree with TV that his subs are probably(I did not try all subs...and not the Krell Monster Reference Pirate Chest LOL)the best subs for the dollar.

The tube is the ideal shape(besides the sphere)for a sub cabinet and I like the way his subs are built.I can see right away he puts money where it most counts!

Its easy to see and hear the benefits of high quality drivers in rigid cylinder cabinets.

I like to see him go wild on the Krell MRS.Its funny

One thing you have to admit,the Krell MRS is overbuilt like no other sub.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I agree Ears - looking at just the sub itself without regard to price - it is pretty incredible. No corners cut. No arguing there. I would love to hear one though, just to see what it sounds like.

I am looking at some SVS subs. I just figured out a good place to put a cylinder sub in my room. Behind the couch, a few feet from my sweet spot seating position. It is hard to look past that $700 price tag compared to $1400 for an RSW 12. I will just have to see what the RSW 12 does in a TN review.

What would happen if you put a sub in the back of the room with you? Will it be totally out of sync with the front speakers? Is that what the phase control would be used for?

Bryan

Edit:

Yeah! I just hit 100 posts with this post! I am so proud!

This message has been edited by bacevedo on 10-03-2001 at 01:09 AM