look whats in My garage ..Mr. Colterphoto .....

Duke Spinner

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those beasts look similar to these used 2-way Peavey horn cabinets our Lakeland Guitar Center just sold to a customer. They're low, squatty, and extremely heavy, and the fata$$ (or baby cheeks) horn tweeters look practically the same except they're positioned horizontally inside the cabinet instead of vertically like yours, Duke. They're American made, and look like they were built in the '70s...I wish I knew their model number, but someone years ago had spraypainted the back panel flat black and much overspray covered their original metal plates and serial numbers. They're beat all to hell, but damn do they play loud! I think I recall 15" woofers.

I'm the warehouse manager and the pro audio "live room" is on the opposite side of the store. When they were being auditioned by their new owner (powered by Crown amps, natch), I could hear 'em clear through those concrete block walls in the warehouse (you could feel the walls vibrating...when the salesman threw on a pair of pro Cerwin Vega folded horn 18" subwoofers, I thought the bulletin board was gonna fall off the wall)![8]

Damn Duke.

Those look like somethin from the

"INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS"

By the way, I see you have dbx 120 in your setup. How do you have this hooked up? Is it one of the older models?

Marvel

I just realized you live in Georgia!

Damn Duke.

Those look like somethin from the

"INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS"

By

the way, I see you have dbx 120 in your setup. How do you

have this hooked up? Is it one of the older models?

Marvel

I just realized you live in Georgia!

i don't use the 120 often, as it seems to kill Dynamics....

i think the problem is that it takes time to "sample" the waveform

works better just using it with a sub, which i don't do ...

the lack of Dynamics is very marked in my system, tho

Frzin' seems to not have that problem with it

Where did you get those Duke? That's not one of

those thriftstore buys is it???????? Kool looking for sure.

Maybe a touch of paint would make it really sharp. What's

the effeciency of that monster???[:o]

no thrift store ...

just a tech cleaning out His garage ...he had 2 sets ..!

efficiency ....like 108, 112 dB

Duke, that DBX 120X-DS may need to be recalibrated. After all those units are coming up on being 20 years old soon since the Digital Series "DS" series introduction in 1986. I'll get you a copy of the Service Manual, Schematics and Calibration procedure for that unit. I have it at home, I'll see if I can .pdf it. It has some 11" x 17" sheets but I have access to a wide format scanner that can handle up to "E" size engineering drawings.

The 120X-DS is one hell of a unit and used by a great many musician's. Soundgarden used one in the recording of Bad Motor Finger, it samples the waveform information from the recording from 55-110Hz, and recreates the subdued or compressed bass information lost in the mastering process a full octave lower 28-55Hz. There are also four tweekable trimpots for the 28, 34, 40, and 50Hz so you can dial in the range that you are looking for. If the bass is already there it won't augment it, only if it is missing or subdued. Every bass head should have one, I tried the Audio Control - Phase Coupled Activator Series III(PCA) but it is more of a one note wonder just like the Epicenter for the car.

I use my DBX 120X-DS in conjuction with dual DBX 3BX-DS units, the bass is not only deeper it hits like a sledgehammer with the Impact Restoration circuits of the 3BX-DS dialed up to the 1 O'clock position.

Duke,

Did you get those (pic is familiar) from the dude on the Lansing forums? The guy who had 8 sets of those from movie theaters?

Bruce

yes, got 'em from Mike .."SubWoof"

had to drive 3 1/2 hours ... he did 2 hr ......

still the best way to get a speaker ...

you'd never belive 2 of them fit in a minivan ......[:o] ... they barely fit in my P'up

Thank's Subwoof ...!!