AL K XOs for Cornwalls

jcmjrt

I have 20+ year old Cornwalls and wanted to update the XOs. I considered just replacing/upgrading the XOs that I already had and certainly that would have been the cheapest way to get better sound but decided that I would try a complete upgrade with modern designed XOs and complete new high quality parts. The Cornwalls deserve it. Al K is a well known Klipsch XO designer and has put his design out for the public. I finished the first XO yesterday and installed the one so that I could A/B the results. The difference was NOT subtle and I can say that the testing that I've done so far - some Judy Garland and Count Basie - was extemely positive. I intend to continue the testing today with some rock and some more jazz and.... :)) The veil has been lifted. I didn't know it was there until I could compare the two. I can hear what I couldn't before - the detai is great! While I'm listening, I'll be solderng up the other XO so I can get both of them to sound that good. This is definitely something that others should consider doing whether you diy or have someone else do it for you.

Next for the Cornwalls will be dampening the woofer and mid with rope caulk. I'm going to do that one at a time too so I can A/B it.

...and then maybe bracing the back. Did I say that I love my Cornwalls?!

Now, what should I do for my heresys? :))

"Next for the Cornwalls will be dampening the woofer and mid with rope caulk. I'm going to do that one at a time too so I can A/B it."

This will not yield any detectable audible results.

Tighten all the screws securing the drivers and they might have loosened some over the years will help.

You are better off replacing the old wiring and spade lugs instead. 14Ga should be sufficient, the spades from Parts Express are part number 095-672 for 12-14Ga wire.

Another forum member enjoying the benefit of network updates! Enjoy!

Just to injest some sound reasoning here and I'm not trying to degrade AL K design. But comparing 20 to 30 year old stale XO's to fresh ones isn't going to give the originals a fighting chance! I'm sure your hearing some great differences there but I think the difference would be less in the Vailed sound department if the original design was nice and fresh. This is one of those apple/orange comparison.

Craig

I most certainly concur with your accessment of the ALK cornwall crossovers. Huge difference, huge. The difference for me was so dramatic, that it lead me to believe that my Khorn networks (AK3's too) are is poor condition.

Which by the way, I still need to toss those AK3's, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Anyway, the next upgrade you should seriously consider is the installation of some bass-linear speaker cabinet insulation. http://www.basslinear.com/ Excellent stuff, even my tin ears picked up on immediately.

See Ya!!

Yea, I hear ya Craig, and your right. But the difference is so dramatic.

Craig is right - it's not always a fair comparison. However, of the Heritage speakers loaded up with the old PIO cans -- the Cornwall seems to fair the best in having caps that don't completely fall apart after 30 years. We suspect that because they are in the cabinet -- they are offered some measure of protection from wide changes in temperature and humidity which help contribute to their demise. In the big three -- the networks are exposed, and these speakers are often placed along the outside walls of a home or in front of windows. So, it is more than possible that you are getting a valid comparison. Gilbert heard my ALKs, and he's running AK-3's not more than 15 years old -- the difference he heard was primarily due to the difference in circuit, and yes -- it can be dramatic.

I'll keep the idea of updating the wiring in mind. I'm going to just do one thing at a time and enjoy the changes.

My Cornwalls are 1's. I believe that there is an upgrade design for 2's but I haven't checked into it closely.

I didn't A/B Al K's XOs with recapped original Corn XOs. I tried to make it very plain what I did do and why I chose to do what I did so people could draw their own conclusions. I can't justify the expense to myself to recap a pair of XOs to compare to AL K's. I can say that I thought that my Corns sounded good before I replaced the XO's and now they sound quite a bit better.

I appreciate Al K putting his design out there. It's a good one.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been living with these XO's now for a couple of weeks and have been playing a variety of music - mostly various styles of jazz, classic rock, pop rock and classical (no CW, no Metal, no Hip Hop/cRap). I can only say that as much as I loved these XO's as soon as I put them in, they are shining even more brightly. I'm going to guess that effect is mostly due to capacitors breaking in but whatever it is, my Cornwalls have stepped up....and that's saying something!

Al K, thanks again.

3dzapper--

It isn't hard building the ALK Type"B" crossovers. If you've looked at the ALK Engineering web site, you've seen that Al has a materials list with sources and a picture and diagram of where everything goes. If I can do it, you can do it.

Having said that, I'm sure Dean does an excellent job on the ALK crossovers for not much more than the cost of the parts themselves. The vast majority of the cost of the crossovers is in quality parts. If you have more than one pair of speakers, you could have him build a pair and then do the next ones yourself.

By the way, the ALK Type "B" crossovers sound great.

Dean,

Your probably some what onto something. But still 20 to 30 year old caps are well 20 to 30 year old caps. I'll be the first to say great sound is hidden in doing cross over upgrades but the difference from one to the next becomes smaller and more of a sideways move once all designs you try are fresh and ready to roll with QUALITY parts. I've run original AL's, AL K's, Original Type A and AA, Type A from Bob Crites, Type A with Hovlands and Auricaps and then the latest greatest from you stuffed with the best of a best. These latest crossover sound great and I won't be going back to my A's. But the Auricap/Hovland A's sounded very good in there own right much better then my stock type A or AA's.

Craig

Dean's right. The reason I posed those questions is for a guy like CP1 who is unsure of his ability to take on the challange. I am sure that there are many other lurkers who could do a perfect job of building their own ALK or rebuilding their AAs etc if given the proper encouragement and support.

Dean too, has been very pubically helpful in guiding first timers through the process.

The more Klipsch Klassic Heritage that sound as good as they can the better![:D]

Rick