a little older and one of the first "long hairs" in the neighborhood

who had also formed a little band, turned us on to a lot of the "new

music". And my best buddys dad who also enjoyed music had built

an entertainment center around some 14" JBLs full range and a Fisher of

some sort. Garrard TT of course. We listened to music all the time on

this nice system and found ourselves well ahead of the local music

curve. To think I saw Hendrix live for 5 bucks still amazes me. I doubt

too many out there had that opportunity. Of course that lead to Cream

in Des Moines (I was spending the night with a friend, yeah right)

Grateful Dead as BACKUP band to Iron Butterfly and so on. Damn, I AM

getting older.

Rich

I believe Hendrix opened up for...get this, the Monkees !!

Rock On,

Craig LeMay

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saw Hendrix many times in person. The best was the least costly....nothing. I was an usher at the Hollywood Bowl. Was able to watch the pre-show warm up of the Experience trio and was it ever an experience. Only about 20 of us ten feet from the stage in that massive outdoor arena. It was before the release of Electricladyland and Hendrix played any number of selections from that double album that night. The most memorable for me was Burning of the Midnight Lamp. Sad loss. He was truly gifted.

I saw the Experience in 67, the opening act was The Soft Machine.

Most of the hippy music like the Airplane, Quicksilver, Country Joe and such hasn't aged well; the hippy bands that stuck to the basics like Moby Grape and Big Brother sound much better to me now than the fancy-pants psychedelic bands. The Dead always put me to sleep.

The Detroit bands like the MC5, the Stooges, The Frost and Frijid Pink were cool, so was Mountain.

I love to look back on my old ticket stubs to see $2.50 lawn seats for Jim Croce with Loggins & Messina, Edgar and Johnny Winter, Seals & Croft, Al Green, etc. That was a great summer for a 14 year old. CSNY and The Beach Boys were $4.50 at Capital Center in '74 and really good seats for Frank Zappa were $6.00.

And to see who backed up whom is also pretty interesting. I remember seeing Little Feat back up The Souther, Hillman, Furry Band and Three Dog Night although I don't remember The Grateful Dead backing up anyone. When they toured, they sometimes took turns as headliners, even in the early days. I have a ticket stub with Aerosmith backing up Peter Frampton when he "came alive."

I also saw Springsteen and Steve Miller in small ampitheaters before they really hit it big but just missed out on Hendrix and The Doors by a couple years.[:(]

Duke-----I figured you'd be a Mountain kind'a guy. When I saw them they were using Sunns, when I saw the Experience Redding was using Sunns and Hendrix was using 2 Marshalls AND a Sunn.

Corky Laing was one of my favorite drummers, right up there with Mitch Mitchell, Ringo, Ainsley Dunbar, Max Weinburg and Tommy and Marky Ramone. And the drummer from a metal band called The Godz. I don't know who the guy was but he was one of the most rock-steady powerhouse drummers I ever saw.

The first time I saw the Ramones, back in 77 I freaked. I stripped my drumkit down to 4 pieces and didn't do a fill for years. Besides, Tommy was an easier influence to live up to than Mitch was. ;-)

Leslie used Sunn t-100's, with an added preamp tube..12ax7, of course, for max gain

man, he made that LPJr w/ P90 p'up ...

well, squeal ...like a pig .....[6]

Hendrix ran stock Super Lead 100's with an Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face

Saay .. whadda bout ... West, Bruce, and Laing ......

better call me a doctor ..cause i got them blues ...da da de dum ...or something like that ...[:D]...

I believe Hendrix opened up for...get this, the Monkees !!

Rock On,

Craig LeMay

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's true. In the summer of 1968, I was too young for a concert, but I do recall hearing that Hendrix opened for the Monkees, which would have been during the height of their popularity and their TV show. This may be unverifiable teen lore, but someone said he was able to make his guitar "say" "F*** you, Monkees."

Hendrix was before my time of concert days, but I did mange to score a few years ago the 3m two track that a few of his master tapes were mixed down to. It came out of electric lady land. One of there techs had brought it to a pro sound out door yard sale back in the 80's.

The old 3m still works mint and is still in use when the recoding is worthy of a real anolog mixdown.

I wonder what other albums were mixed on it.

• Like 1

Hey Tom (Mobley)

I am a QMS fan too..and you probably know this..but all QMS releases are available on CD nowadays..I got them all, (even though I have the LPs still)..I still enjoy their music albeit some of the recordings aren't that great..hard to believe 3 members are gone..that seems to be the case with a lot of my 70's faves..guess I'm getting older too!!

Steve

i got to see hendrix in syracuse to. went with my older brother in his 1958 volkswagon " the Cannonball". as i recall our main concern was getting the timing right on the "purple haze". most of that night is pretty much a blurr. i have every album quicksilver messenger service ever did. i recently found an unopened copy of "anthology".