Why Klipsh in the first place?

jpm

After reading the thread "Should Khorns be so bright", I wonder why we go to such extremes so often to tame horns. Tube, wires, room treatments, a this and a that. Aren't there some awesome speakers out there that a guy can hook up and get busy with without all the tweaking? Without all the super expense and time of components?

Not trolling; just curious.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tube, wires, room treatments, a this and a that.

+++++++++++++

I like to sit on the edge of the orchestra pit. Most speakers sound like you are at the rear of the balcony.

Tubes are misconstrued as an inconvenience. I have heard awesome realism through Home Depot speaker cable.

DIgital jitter and poor Class AB SS amplification give horns a bad rap by the narrow minded.

Has anyone considered that something properly designed and implemented should not require radical modification - given that there is not something else at play there, including one's perceptional bias.

And I dare say that this reaction/situtation is atypical, so the basing of any generalization upon it is suspect! And it is applicable to this one pair of speakers or possibly to a partucular implimentation by Klipsch in its broadest application.

...Not necessarily to all horns in general.

All formats and topologies have design considerations, just as dynamic drivers have their own sets of peculiarities! And any responsible design addresses these in a manner that reflects the desired goals of the designer.

But there are always items that can be modified in any design. Nor is there one set of tastes that govern all who listen.

For the amount of money I have in my system I would be hard pressed to

get the same performance that I would be happy with out of

another speaker. The only real tweak I have done to my Klipsch so far

is Bob Crites crossover but that was necessary due to really old caps.

My decision to go tube was made when I heard Quad II's and tubes for

the first time. I don't think room treatments are left to people with

horns or klipsch but rather people striving to make their systems sound

the best they possibly can in there rooms that might not be optimal for

a sound system of any kind. My room is not the best for music

reproduction and has abit of an echo so in the next year I will be

working on deadening my room with lots of thick curtains and

tapestries. The room would need work no matter what I put in there.

Yes, there are plenty of awesome speakers out there that a tweaking audiophiles can hook up and get busy with, but not with out super expense.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The problem with the few cone loudspeaker systems in the $2-5K range that I have seriously auditioned, in my own home, with my own equipment, for EnjoyTheMusic.com, is that even with tubes, wires, room treatments, and this and that, they still fail to communicate the excitement and emotion of music. Except for single driver systems (which have their own set of problems). Moreover, even single driver loudspeakers still fail to capture the fast attack of a note, the thrill of a sharp crescendo and the gentle darkness of a silent passage in music.

The extremes we go to tame horns are required by any audio system to get the last syrupy drop of 3D sonic realism. We add a sub to get the deep bass of instruments and movies. We dampen the source to remove vibrations and jitter. We fit the right amplifier to the speaker because of the variegation of impedance loads. We treat the room to allow each system to sound its best.

And we question, argue and spend all in the name of the quest: the search for audio nirvana! [8]

Yes, there are plenty of awesome speakers out there that a tweaking audiophiles can hook up and get busy with, but not with out super expense.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The problem with the few cone loudspeaker systems in the $2-5K range that I have seriously auditioned, in my own home, with my own equipment, for EnjoyTheMusic.com, is that even with tubes, wires, room treatments, and this and that, they still fail to communicate the excitement and emotion of music. Except for single driver systems (which have their own set of problems). Moreover, even single driver loudspeakers still fail to capture the fast attack of a note, the thrill of a sharp crescendo and the gentle darkness of a silent passage in music.

The extremes we go to tame horns are required by any audio system to get the last syrupy drop of 3D sonic realism. We add a sub to get the deep bass of instruments and movies. We dampen the source to remove vibrations and jitter. We fit the right amplifier to the speaker because of the variegation of impedance loads. We treat the room to allow each system to sound its best.

And we question, argue and spend all in the name of the quest: the search for audio nirvana! [8]

THIS IS ARGUABLY THE FINEST, MOST ON THE MARK POST EVER PRESENTED TO THE KLIPSCH FORUM. KUDOS TO YOU COLIN... YOU'RE MY HERO! WHAT MORE CAN ONE SAY?

jpm,

I believe that the thread to which you refer involves a Khorn in which

something is broken. Ordinarily they would sound fabulous right out of

the box with no tweaking.

The rest of the tweaking universe is just a bunch of shade tree

mechanics working on their old low riders (or Heritage speakers)

to get them right and having the time of their lives.

One disclaimer, there are some engineers who really do know their stuff.

Not for everyone, but it can be alot of fun.

I concur that something must be broken on that dude's Ks. There's no other explanation for them sounding so lousy. If I were him I'd hook up a pair of different speakers to the same speaker wire he has the Ks on. If the other speakers sound good then I'd be hauling the Khorns back to the store for a full refund. Why dick around with damaged goods, unless the price was righteous.

What Colin said!!!! I just posted on the topic your referring to outlining the steps I've taken to tweek my new Khorns. While I wish they came out of the box the way they are now they didn't. But I can assure you that given the $$ invested in them that the reproduction I'm getting is far superior than anything that could come out of a box at a similar price. It's damn fun too being able to have a system that can be be milked, whetted and polished to such a marvelous degree. You can re-cut a diamond and make it better, but you still cannot make a silk purse from the sows ear.[;)]

After reading the thread "Should Khorns be so bright", I wonder why we go to such extremes so often to tame horns. Tube, wires, room treatments, a this and a that. Aren't there some awesome speakers out there that a guy can hook up and get busy with without all the tweaking? Without all the super expense and time of components?

Not trolling; just curious.

Technically and on many other levels, the answer to your question is "NO", there is no way to achieve the level of efficiency, extremely low distortion, and experience the realistic dynamics of music and sound UNLESS its with horns. 'Nuff said.

DM