Worlds Tallest Bridge

Gilbert

Beautiful piece of art! Another great bridge crosses

the Snake River in Twin Falls, Idaho. You're driving along on flat

land, an the ground just falls away. Spectacular!!

Bet Evil Knievel could have really appreciated that bridge a few years

back when he was trying to get across the Snake River Canyon... the

hard way.

Bet Evil Knievel could have really appreciated that bridge a few years back when he was trying to get across the Snake River Canyon... the hard way.

Oh my God, I remember that. The rocket propeled vehicle parachuted down to the river below. That image has stuck in my head since I was a kid.

Wow.........thanks for posting. In college, I started out in Civil Engineering (before moving to Mechanical Engineering) and structures like these still amaze me. It's interesting that there are steel pillars interspersed with concrete ones. There seems to be more & more cable suspension designs (like they used for the center span across the river) being used. A new bridge here in Savannah and south of us in Brunswick, GA have utilized this design. It's both elegant and efficient.

Without getting all whatever.....I bet most folks have no idea the engineering that goes into a structure like this. The potential loads that have to be calculated/predicted are amazing. Dynamic loads are relatively easy to compute, but the wind and vibrational loads.....ho boy, that's where someone really earned their pay. One only has to look at what happened to the Tacoma Narrows bridge to see what effects wind can have on a structure. Actually, this should interest some of you audio dudes since it was the harmonic vibration resulting from wind vortices shedding that resulted in the bridge's failure. In a nutshell, the wind caused a vibration that happened to coinside with the natural frequency of the structure (not a good thing) and that was all she wrote. Amazing failure (in a sick sorta way). Anyhow...........

Beautiful bridge. Thanks again for the photo.

Tom

Scooterdog,

It slipped my mind you were in Twin Falls! Last month we drove from CA to Yellowstone. Great trip! Boy, driving in that neck of the woods is a totally different experience than in California. I didn't get cut-off or flipped-off once!