Shinall LaScala clones on eBay

codhead

I saw the same set on Audiogon. I seem to recall a pretty negative sentiment here regarding Shinall and their lack of scientific measurement and research regarding these speakers. I've never seen or heard them myself so am unable to offer any opinion, other than to say I sure wouldn't fork over $1100 (as asked on Audiogon) for copies when I could get the original for that or less. I would be more confident with Klipsch.

-Jon

another forum member told me about his visit to Shinall's shop. Said

the speakers sound very good. Also, interesting is that Gary Shinall

fabricates his own horns. He does a clone of the Belle, which would be

the only place to obtain a Belle cabinet since Klipsch has discontinued

it.

I think he does beautiful work, pretty surprising how Klipsch's La Scala II looks strikingly similar to his version, sans the nice grillwork in the dog house. They are built to the same specs so wouldn't they sound just as good. The cabinet and veneer work are top notch.

I think they look awesome!

The guy does this as a hobby in his spare time.

Dee,

I heard the same thing regarding construction. I posted this, as it gives a look inside the top section. I can't decide what the mid horn is made out of in that picture. It looks almost like a composite, but I remember reading something about the builder welding them up out of aluminum. If it's aluminum, he does a heck of a nice job!

I see that you can buy a Belle clone, minus the components (just the cabinet). Would sure be a nice way to resurrect a trashed pair of LaScalas. I don't know about the sellers claim that they're made out of better wood. Less layers in the plywood, from what I see - but the veneer sure looks nice.

I've actually considered sending him an E-mail to see if he'd make me a pair of Cornwall cabinets out of 1" birch plywood.

The only decent thing on this Chinall is the crossover from Al Klappenberger.

I hope it's not a copy also

Doesn't matter if it's a copy because it's not included in the auction anyway.

I'd cut & paste but that no longer works with the new forum on Linux (at least on my browser).

I have spoken with Mr. Shinall a couple of times and have seen his work. He really is an expert craftsman and a nice guy to talk to. He has said that his K-horn clone enclosure is absolutely identical to the demensions of a Klipsch Khorn.

I think he started using the ALK networks some time ago.

If you ever wanted a really nice pair of enclosures, he will build and sell just that.

When I paid a visit to Gary about a year and a half ago, he was building three "Lascala" cabinets for a customer who was going to install his own drivers and horns. Gary's wood working is top-notch.

He uses custom aluminum horns in his Khorn knock-offs, I'm not sure about the Lascala copies.

The new Klipsch Lascala does look suspiciously similar to Gary's, maybe he is subcontracting?.... naaaaa