Maybe the SET Fraternity is Right!

edwinr

Erik,

" $260 for an amplifier that purchased retail would be significantly higher in price."

Exactly, when building for yourself where labor is 'free' the cost of an amp is considerably lower then what it would need to sell for for a person to live off selling them.

Shawn

P.S.... my vote for the most important thing of an amplifier is... wait for it....... design.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be a lot of confusion about subjectivity and

objectivity. Anyone can have an opinion about anything, and say that A,

B, or C sounds better to him. But that is not the same as saying,

objectively, that A, B, or C is better.

To illustrate with an extreme example, someone may prefer the sound of

iPod earbuds to Klipschorns. There's nothing wrong with him saying he

likes the earbuds better because to his mind he does. But it is absurd

to say that the earbuds are better by any objective standards.

Of course the SET fraternity is Right - they have been right since the thirties. The music is in the first watt with no feedback blurring or switching distortion. SETs sound like music - we all know this.

Now this thing with the kittens is just a thinly veiled attempt to have this enlightened positive SET thread shut down. Perhaps posing the question to include the word "fraternity" has unintentionaly triggered someone's unconsious sense of inadequacy. When overcompensation kicks in I expect to see posts claiming to have killed lions and tigers, too. Once the PETA folks get wind of this we will all be in big trouble!

Just to be clear on this, cats have nine lives, so just how many times do you... never mind.

Paul

Craig:

Alright, I'm wrong.

Hey, I noticed you use those CL-60 thermistors in your VRDs! Those are neat devices, aren't they? I also use them to connect the circuit ground to the chassis ground on components -- a trick I got from Bruce Rozenblit's first book. Actually, he uses a 10 ohm resistor, but I've found the current limiters to work very well for the same thing. I also use them as a helpful soft-start feature installed between the AC input and power transformer primary.

SET or PP -- high power or lower -- It's all fun to me. This must be one of the rare instances where being wrong can be a joy!

Erik

Shawn:

I think what you say is correct. I'm not thinking of this from a profit standpoint, but rather the enjoyable challenge of making something from scratch that performs well for much less than what one would be otherwise forced to pay. Having spent very close to $2,000 alone on parts for my Horus amps, I am clearly aware of the fact that it's possible to pay a significant sum for individual components. The versatile 6L6 stereo amp mentioned above looked to me to be a great design, and is one that could always be upgraded with (possibly) better OPTs, filter chokes, coupling capacitors, and so forth. Whether those changes resulted in a sound that was subsequently better than the original design is, in my opinion, a highly subjective judgement.

Erik

Maybe the SET Fraternity (Group?) is right - SET amplifiers can be very musical. I admit I first listened to SET amplifiers with my blinkers on. My mind was made up. I thought they were going to sound crap when I had my first audition, and guess what? I made sure they did! Okay, concession number one.

The problem as I see it is how do you transfer that 'magical first watt' into more magical watts for those, like me that prefer more loudness for our larger rooms with that musicality? Amplifier designers using other topologies have had difficulties reproducing this musicality - from my purely non technical point of view, of course

In the past I assumed that the low powered solid state amplifiers e.g. Many British models - were the only musical alternative. I thought high powered amplifiers LACKED musicality. How wrong I was! Until I started listening to properly designed high powered solid state (e.g. the Mark Levinson No. 33 - some like the Crown brand which I've never heard) and some PP tube amplifers (like the MC275 and Audio Research VSi-55), I didn't know what I was missing. I haven't heard the VRD's. Many like these amplifiers as well. But I was still taken by surprise by those Audio Note mono blocs...

edwinr,

Congratulations.

I'm impressed that you had a second listen under better hardware circumstances, and have been honest enough to post your updated impressions. As to the quest for "loudness", that is a very personal taste, but one of the things one learns studying music,...... playing louder does not improve the "quality" of the music. Just a thought.

On another note, I agree with your assessment preferring the bass sounds of the Khorn over the Avante Garde powered sub woofer, though the Avante Gardes are excellent speakers. It is also important to note that with a low pwered SET system, it is important to carefully match components. There really is a lot "there", when you take the time to really listen to a low powered SET system. If you're ever in the SF Bay area, I'd like to impress your ears with 2A3 Moondogs coming through Khorns. (I'm still waiting on Fini and C&S to show up for an audition.)

As someone who once contriibuted often to this forum might say, ".....SET, vinyl, and horns,...a great combination."

Klipsch out.

"The problem as I see it is how do you transfer that 'magical first

watt' into more magical watts for those, like me that prefer more

loudness for our larger rooms with that musicality?"

Well, if you can't go to more power there are a few ways of getting more volume.... some may work better then other.

Move closer to the speakers.

Add more speakers.... a center for example. By sharing the SPL load

over three speakers instead of two the power requirments per speaker

will drop.

Band limit the amps/speakers.... an amp that doesn't have to worry

about the power in the bass range (subwoofers) is an amp that won't run

out of steam quite as soon.

Increase the efficiency of the speakers. Either with an overall more

efficient design or by bi/tri-amping. Tri-amped for example the amps

would gain the benefits of bandlimiting them as well as having the

maximum effiency possible for the drivers. The squawker would run

unattenuated off its amp (attenuation would be at line leve) so the