Ever hear music in a dream?

maxg

Dont know if it qualifies as a dream...when I fly (which I do way to much) I can conjure up favorite music to where its virtually like I am listening to it (or playing it depending on the piece) in person. It's actually pretty cool. It has to be something that I have listened to or played a lot. So selling the stereo or the piano are not options!

I dream of singing in a band on stage, or in the studio..... does THAT count?

Dreamed of hearing people play live too.. Think of how cool it would be if you could say have a discussion singing with or just observing ELVIS as he recorded at Sun studios... Or The Beatles... the night before and during their American Debut..

Some other things to do in your sleep...

The cool things about dreams is you can do or go anywhere. Your mind will wander.. it takes some practice, but it is possible. My dad passed on Jan 2004 and some nights I swear we have long discussions in my sleep. (He was my best friend, and I still miss him daily.) Sometimes, I remember the topic, sometimes not. Evry once in a while it is like we figure something out together, or I know I need to do something when I get up..almost like he told me in my dreams. It is kinda strange.. But is also kinda comforting that I feel his spirit in me somehow and were still somehow connected. Most dreams are about our kids.. our family lives now that he is gone too. My son was born a month after he died. (He knew he had a grandson to carry on our name) In a way, I share what is going on his his life..with my dad in my sleep. Can I prove any of this? Probably not, but I really do feel as long as we remember someone in our hearts we do still keep the memories and everything about them alive in us..

I always dream of singing the national anthem the night before I do it in front of a big crowd. It helps to see the vision successful, before I do it. Nothing like 22k people cheering for you afterward too.

Yes. It is an anxiety hang over from working my way through college as the organist/choirmaster at the local Episcopal church.

I rush in late. The hymns in the service leaflet are NOT the ones in my service planning book. During the prelude (!) I anxiously turn to the first posted hymn in the hymnal to see if I know it. It has five flats and the page is black with intricate harmony and six stanzas. By the "Amen", people were laughing out loud.

There are variations on this dream. They never cast me in a favorable light.

DRBILL

In my brief and totally non-scientific assessment it seems that people who do hear music either performed it or wrote it. Ami seems to be the exception - unless it is a song she learned to play perhaps?

Otherwise I dont think it means anything - just an interesting question. According to the original poster on the ACA website (Trouble AKA Tony - the one I usually refer to in my endless ramblings) we should be able to hear music, taste things, feel touch and even smell stuff (not that stuff Fini).

Personally - I dont get any of these things - just wondering if others heard music is all.

• Moderators

Nope, never learned to play it, and wasn't even that familiar with it.

What's really strange, and I hesitated mentioning this because I'm not into premonitions or clairvoyance or the like.... But I ended up waking up to that song later in the morning. I can't swear that the song wasn't in my dream because of the alarm radio, but I'm fairly convinced the dream was long over before the alarm went off. I'd almost swear to it, but you know how waking up can be so foggy.

It was weird, regardless. And I definitely incorporated it into the dream I was having.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

I'm a child of the 60's, almost all my dreams have music in them.

Watched the Dylan bio last night and had Dylan songs rolling through my

brain all night long.

Here's the problem, though, it's even worse when I'm awake!

Most definitely.

I have heard epics in my head , ...but when I get to the studio to log them or transcribing them...they all come out different then what I actually remember dreaming.

In other words...they leave me before I can capture them on tape or paper.

That sucks, especially when it made so much sense in the dream.

***GREAT TOPIC ! **

I would not be surprised if there were music in my dreams; I just do not remember my dreams. I remember whatever one I was having, if I wake up during or just after one, for a few minutes, maybe an hour.

I can remember two dreams I have had in my life... one was scary, the other sexy. I'll say no more about either one.

Flashback?

Like wow man, is that like when you go into the kitchen looking for a

malomar that you could just swear was there an hour ago, and like you

don' find it, but then you burp and and you taste the malomar?

Or is like when Johhnie and I went to the Greatful Dead concert but we

were a day early but we could have sworn we were a day late?

What I hate is dreams with jingles in them. Just last week I had a

dream about Chesterfields, you know the one with the cigarette packs

with the really fine dancing legs. Woke up and I was out of

butts, could've sworn I had a full pack when I went to bed.

Well this is the problem with non-scientific research - we forgot stuff!

Didn't take into account, for example, the effect of psychotrophic drugs on dreams / music et al (lets call it the Thebes effect).

Craig's point - although in jest - is also interesting. I would have expected sex fantasy dreams to be accompanied by music but they dont seem to be generically either.

Also nice to see another composer/player who hears music.

Ami - the radio had almost certainly started playing and got incorporated into your dream. In that state you have litle sense of time.

I'm somewhat on a kick that many questions can answered by a survey of literature or personal experience; if we get our internal search engine working with accuracy..

One observation is close to the topic. When dreams are recalled, the decription is always in the present tense. "I am standing in a field of flowers. . ." That signals a return to the dream state in memory. Spooky in a way.

OTOH, if someone says, I had a a dream and I was standing in a field of flowers, that seems less accuate, or a lost dream.

We can look at music with lyrrics and where this sort of thing appears. I leave this to your survey of memory and recall.

One which comes to me is Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain. Tom B., take note; he's a fan.

There is a cadance and implication of past life recall. .. .

Starbuck is sharping his harpoon,

An old man is playing his tune,

An old salt is is sleeping his watch away,

he'll be drunk again . . . before noon.

The old man's tune, though, is not reported. It would be too wacky to suggest that the old man is playing the song that descibes the situation.

- - -

Returing to the original subject.

There are occasional references to voices. Again from that album, "quiet as the voices in a dream."

None the less, reports of dreams almost never report anything which is not visual. The other senses are not reported. No one reports a smell, a taste, or tactile sensations. At least as far as I have seen reported or experienced. I'm being a bit clinical.

If we have to get to the fringes, people suffering from schitophrenia do hear voices. I have not seen any report of music.

A fair implication is that music or sounds are not regularly heard in dreams.

= = =

Let me crank the engine the other way. Music does engender dream like states. Indeed it may report dream like states of composers. We see images in music. Comments? Specifically, dreams do not cause music, but music does cause, and report dreams.

Crank the Theimin. Aaa- Wooooooooo..

Smile,

Gil