Amperex 6922 pinch-waist vs Telefunken CCa ...

Born2RockU

Which should I get for my Peach ?

There is a single Amperex pinch-waist 6922 on EBay that ends in a few hours.

Would this dominate over the Telefunken CCa ?

Get the plain Amperex Bugle Boys and a few tanks of gas (LOL).

Seriously, if you have the money to try all these different "so called" high end tubes to hear a tiny amount of difference then go ahead. But the big differences come in that first step up into say the $35.00 - $65.00 range per tube. After that the price goes way up, and the improvements MAY go up a small amount. I spent the money and found these things out.

I found out specifically that NOS Telefunken smooth plates did not sound quite as good to me as the Bugle Boys I already had. They had more noise as well. I spent nearly $300 to learn that one. I'm talking in the Peach and VRDs.

Just trying to keep sense into this tube thing. I think most of these tubes probably sold for a buck or two way back when. Just be smart and have realistic expectations.

A good idea would be to temporarily exchange tubes with other forum members to learn the characteristics of them.

Craig:

I do not know about a pinched-waist 6922 dominating one of the vaulted Telefunkens CCas, but Gary seemed to like his pinch-waist alot.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/610664/ShowPost.aspx

I have not heard the pinched-waist, but I can give you my impressions of the Holland Amperex 6922, the base version to the pinched-waist tube. It is a very, very good tube and to my ears, a step above of most of the Amperex I have ever heard (Bugle Boys, orange globes, A-frames and white 6DJ8/6922). I would say that while it does not have all of the definition or smoothness of my Siemens CCa (but is up in that territory), the 6922 Amperex has a warmer midrange, wetter sound, and performs great.

So, since the pinch-waist is supposed to be even better than the 6922, gold-pin Holland (and U.S.) Amperex versions - that is saying something. After all, this is one of the "grail" tubes. I will probably try a pinch-waist Amperex at some point - based on my experience with the gold-pin 6922 - and based on its reputation. I have not heard the Telefunkens CCa tubes, but I can tell you that the Amperex 6922 gold-pin Holland and Siemens CCa are better than the standard Telefunkens. Then again, the Tele CCas are also some of those special tubes - at least by members' opinions in here - and by reputation.

Carl.

Thanx family,

...so does anyone have a single Siemens Cca that they would sell?

Born2, I have 2 more back up NOS NIB Telefunken CCa's, and several (5 or 6) NOS NIB Valvo E88CC, as well as Siemens. I love the telefunkens and will not part with them, but if you'd like, I will sell you 1 Valvo.

I have done my research, and learned that a 6922 is the exact same construction as E88CC. However, the CCa's are constructed to more stringent standards, as dictated by the German telephone company. So CCa's is reportedly the better tube.....But when you through in the Pinch Waist Siemens, I can not say. I have no experience with them, other than to say the Gary and Steve (aka Smilin) love them. From what I've read, some people rave about them, others say there just another tube. I do know their hard to come by, but I know a guy in germany that has a healthy supply of Siemens pinch waist, all NOS NIB. He also has NOS NIB Tele..CCa's, and Siemens and Valvo's.

Personally, I much prefer the Telefunken CCa's. I have them in my CD player and recently swapped one out for my 6DJ8 bugle boy that's was in my Blueberry for one. The CCa's to me are more dynamic.

My CD player uses six 6922s and I found that my favorites are the Mullard CV2493. This tube produced the most lifelike midrange in my application. I tried Amperex and Siemens as well and ended up selling them on ebay becuse I had so much $$ tied up in them and knew I'd never use them. Never popped the cash for the "pinched waist" variation.

ea_1_b.JPG

Anyway, this is another one to consider. I bought mine on ebay from a guy in Australia about 4 years ago for $20 ea. Great tube for the money--in fact, the BEST 6922 at ANY price in my application.

When I had the peach, I tried over 20 varieties, including the Seimans CCa, Valvo CCa, PW Amperex, USA/and Holland aslo PW 6dj8. My fav was the USA d getter PW form the 50's. This was also true with the Thor TA1000 MK2, DK Design VS1 MK2, and almost any type of eq. that used 6922 variety. Yes they are EXPENSIVE, and rare, but IMHO they ARE the BEST.

Steve,

Are you sure that you were using it with the Thor?

Afaik, the Thor uses 12ax7's and 12at7's and no 6dj8's.

Guy, I believe, or at least I read, that a 6922/E88CC/CCa/(Allan through me another curve wih his Mullard).... can be substituted for a 6DJ8. If you find this to be incorrect, let me know, and why, please.

Again,

It's very circuit dependent. When I've tried the CV-2493 in either my Airtight ATE-2 or CAT SL-1 Sig III, it just killed the sound. OTOH, it did wonders with an Audible Illusions preamp and a DK design VS-1 amp.

There's no real conclusion here so my advice here is just the typical "try before you buy". Although they don't cost that much to begin with.

Again,

It's very circuit dependent. When I've tried the CV-2493 in either my Airtight ATE-2 or CAT SL-1 Sig III, it just killed the sound. OTOH, it did wonders with an Audible Illusions preamp and a DK design VS-1 amp.

There's no real conclusion here so my advice here is just the typical "try before you buy". Although they don't cost that much to begin with.

Well said Guy and absolutely true. One tube brand/type may sound great in a particular piece of gear but in some other piece it may be just so so. Then factor in all are difference listening preferences you just never know what tube may be the ticket for your needs.

Craig