Oh No!! I'm being recalled!!!!

3dzapper

Well not me exactly, my zapper is being recalled.[:'(]

I have an appointment with the technician to have it interogated every six months. She checks things like battery life, functionality and event memory. Today she called and told us that my appointment on Nov 16 has been rescheduled to a consult with a surgeon to schedule replacement surgury. It seems that the specific model defibrulator that I wear, St Jude Medical V-240, is, believe it or not, suseptable to cosmic radiation. I had read that last month and laughed. I wasn't planning any space trips in the immediate future.

It seems under certain instances background radiation can effect an SRAM device in the circuitry which can cause the battery to deplete rapidly rendering the device inert. http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/051007/75217.html?.v=1

That's a real bummer!! This is hunting season!!! Now my wife will be worried again when I go out into the woods. That's why I got the darned thing!

Hopefully, they won't be able to schedule surgery until after the season. err Christmas.

Rick

Background cosmic radiation depleting the charge availability from an implanted defibrilator???? I guess it's good that they're checking all the bases. Should you be watching out for high level sunspot activity?? The impact of sunspots are predicted by some agency I'm uncertain which one. What's the deal with the new one??? Is it impervious to cosmic and other radiation sources??? That's wild.

In reading your link it seems apparent that you're quite an anomaly and that you might want to do this sooner rather than later. According to the article 26,000 of these are dispensed but only 60 are known to have suffered any problems. They are checked every 3 mos. They don't plan to replace them all...only the ones showing problems. You are among those 60 odd folks whose 3 month check-up said "BROKEN" and replace ASAP. So, hunting season aside, you might want to prioritize this with a little more sense of urgency. Those cosmic rays already zapped your device methinx!![:'(]

Rick,

Sorry to hear your ICD is being recalled. That is really a strange defect. Who would have thought to test the effects of cosmic radiation during the validation protocol for that device?

I sincerely hope everything goes well for you.

David

Thanks again for your concern guys. My battery has been showing on the low side lately. The surgury itself is no big deal, done under a local. The part I don't like is when they test it. They knock you out for that. Makes you feel like crap for a couple of days.

Travis, They say that an EMT might feel a "tingle" if the device fires during CPR. That might not be a bad thing.[6][6][6]

I got a deer in Pennsylvania the week after my device was first implanted with the help of my friends. All I had to do was shoot. Like a guided hunt. I had that 6 pointer mounted and donated it to hang on the wall at Camp as a way to thank them. There is no way I'll let them schedule my surgery in the week after Thanksgiving.

Rick

Well that's the s#its! Maybe the surgery can be put off if some of the guys here with NASA connections can get a cammo spacesuit fitted for you.

All kidding aside (now THAT rarely happens), best of luck, and don't put it off!

A true ultra-conservative... won't even give the doctors the time to replace his defib. [;)]

My Dad just got one with a built in iPod and cell phone. He talks and sings to himself all the time.

Good luck Rick.

Keith