BEC AA's

colterphoto1

Just wanted to report in on the conversion of my LSBR's type AL to Bob Crites' AA/A convertible crossovers. These speakers were purchased about a year ago in Ft Wayne IN, from another Forum member who ended up with too many purchases (don't I know about that ). Beautiful minwax special walnut stain and several coats of hand rubbed oil. These had been in only one home since new.

They'd been in the garage almost since I got them home and I'd only tried them out a couple of times. Recently they've been part of the LS/CW wars in my Hearth Room. I've been argueing with myself whether the extra 6 db for HT use would be better than the lack of smoothness in 2ch mode. Seem to like just having both pairs around.

My able henchman DrWho was given the task of modifying one of the LS, since we wanted to do a fair A/B test of the old AL versus Bob's AA.

Installation was a bit of pain, due to the cramped condtions inside the LS opening, and Mike's insistence on using the old screw holes. 'It's a plywood box' I hollered and proceeded to drill new holes through the only available space on the AA's. Straping them down and hooking them up, the two LS stood side by side.

It took not more than a couple of minutes of listening and a couple switches before the difference became readily apparent. The AL's sounded like they were playing through a heavy curtain compared to the AA's. The detail and clarity in the upper mids, particularly the vocal range was outstanding. SOLD, I told him to drop the AA in the other LS and not look back.

We finished the day using a Niles box with volume controls to balance the output of LS, CW, CF3, KG4, RB5, RB3, KSB1.1 for a detailed listening test. Surprisingly the little KG4's did quite well, as did the ksb1.1. CF3 had great bass but was still inferior to any of the three way designs.

All in all, I still prefer my old completely unmodified Cornwalls to even the modified LS. But it was nice to dress em up.

Michael

You need to learn some audiophile talk Michael! When something is "bright" -- that's baaaad. When something is detailed and clear -- that's gooood. Detail and Clarity is what you get when take the dirt out of "bright".

Now you need smooth, open, and relaxed. :)

Dean, you baffle me. I didn't use the word Bright a single time in my original post. Tofu attributed that term to my 'lifting of the curtain' comment. My second post was to clarify my comments based on HIS use of the term brightness.

In other words, I like them. geesh.....Try to write a nice post and it turns into a semantics/grammar lesson.

Good Night.

M

I have a lot of trouble myself with the audiophile lingo. I believe you are supposed to say "It's like a skirt being lifted", or something like that. Bob Crites

It would be nice if someone could construct a Klipsch BB "definition of terms". (maybe Colin?)

Bob does have the right idea. I understand him perfectly.

An Arkie description of LaS bottom could be "like throwing sausage down an alley", or something like that.

Sure that Dee and Trey understand.[:D]

Terry

Michael, your '63's don't have "B" type crossovers in them, they are a "C" variant. Mine were C-22's. The crossover point in those old networks is 1000-5000 and the EV tweeter is 16 ohms which would require a special B type network if you were to change it.

Those old Corns are the speakers that would benefit the most from a network upgrade. I have a pair of Bob C.'s in my '78 Belle's and I think they sound as nice as the DHA2Xover's that Dean put together for me.

Don't want to rain on any parade here... How old were the caps in

the old crossovers? I simply swapped out the 28 year-old caps

from AA crossovers (to Solen and Auricap) and had a similar result that

you had. So I dare say you might have experienced more of a

change from that then from changing crossover designs.

But it's all good! Your sound is better and that's what counts!