What are some of your favorite guitar riffs?

wheelman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to update and get me some of that Tool music. recommendations on where to start?

You could start with "Undertow" their full length debut. You can't really go wrong with any of their albums. Each one will take a little to get used to no matter which one you choose. They totally evolved I was just kind of given credit where some credit is do. Tool actually covers "no quarter" in there box set. It's a rare little thing with a few videos, and a live cd that isn't in press now. Their latest release which has been along time now "Lataralus" is growing to be my favorite. You may want to go with that. Aenima was a long time favorite for some time. Excellent choice there for sure. I would go with Aenima check out " Hooker with a penis". It's about how a fan who told Maynard he sold out, and he belts out what he thought of that in that tune. Totally bad a@@ lyrics, and that's not even the best song. Not even close. Download that tune if all possible. My vote goes to Aenima as a whole with a little more industrial vibe happening at times. Lataralus took about 5 years to make. Maynard said he wanted this album to be timeless album like Metallica's Black album. I think they did very well in that respect. There are some songs on that album that are just crushing like "the grudge" one of my favorite riffs. So simple it hurts. I believe the first proto type to the Diezel vh-4 amplifier was used on that album, and put Diezel on the map for one of the baddest guitar amps in the bottom hungry world ( by the way Peter Diezel excellent dude). Also the tube clean on that amp has headroom that would break down walls and not even clipp.

Many great riffs already mentioned...

Some that come to mind that were not mentioned:

"You Really Got Me" - The Kinks - Dave Davies

"Train Keep a Commin'" (?) - The Yardbirds - Jeff Beck or Jimmy Page(?)

"La Grange" - ZZ Top - Billy Gibbons

"Sultans of Swing" - Dire Straits - Mark Knofler

"Man In a Box" - Alice In Chains - Jerry Cantrell

Jerry Garcia:

The Harder They Come, Warner Theater, 1978

Eyes Of The World, Englishtown, NJ, 1977

Probably my 2 favorite live performances by Garcia. He was absolutely amazing and I was lucky enough to attend both shows.

Garymd where is a good place to start with a studio album by the Dead? I've heard many tunes by them, but never paid to much attention to the albums, or the titles of the songs. I won't get into why. I'm thinkin of goin with Workingman's Dead I always did like Uncle John's Band.