Whats the craziest audio thing that you have ever done?

toomanyspeakers

Well, this isn't an audio misadventure but more of a frustration. Yesterday I found this ad in the local classifieds for 10 Zeppelin original LPs. I called the person, and fortunately he lived 2 streets away from me and moreover, wanted $20 for the whole thing!!! Was part of a bigger garage sale apparently, and I couldn't make it there as soon as possible because of a lab at the univ and when I got there... much to my horror, I just saw another person walk into his car with those 10 LPs. [:(]

Lesson of the day: Get to the LPs before the lab, ALWAYS!

I set up a full pa in my back yard.... had 3 bands play and only 6 folks came to the gig...

what a wast...

===========

Had a 6 keg party in the backyard of our house in East lansing,

Michigan, spring 1981. Of course it only started out as a one kegger

with a New Wave band I was doing sound for at the time.

At one point we had 5 cop cars in front of the house.

Not citations issued.

ALSO

We bought used equipment from Alice Cooopers souind company.

Ok, got a brand new one!

So this weekend at colter's place we finally got out the 18" JBL bass bins. But sadly the surrounds were dry-rotted so we were about to give up on the project....until Colter realized he had some EV 18" drivers in the garage! Gosh, this guy has soooo much audio stuff! rofl (how many of you have 18" spares laying around?)

So anyways, we unhook the JBL and put in the EV. Colter mentioned some concern about the screw heads going into the holes and I thought there was a plate on the back that they were screwing to. So we plug in an HK 730 (just one of a dozen amps to choose from) to power the cabinet and it was kinda quiet. We go into the setup menu and start playing some test tones, etc etc....The power cord wasn't polarized so we decided to switch it around and see what happens....so we get her turned back on and crank the music and we launch that 18" driver right out of the bin! Good thing I was standing right there to catch it! [H] Man that was embarrasing, but way cool....that thing just launched itself right out! So ya, that's my craziest/stupidest thing I've ever done. haha

On the spur of the moment I jumped on a red eye to Chicago for a 24 hour audio turnaround. Got in at 6:00 AM local time.

I had the good fortune of meeting some fellow Forum members for the first time. The gracious host, smilin, j-malotky, Analog, NOSValves, William F. Gil McDermott, TBrennan, MarkBK, Hurhuru, ironwoods and I am sure a few others who I just can't recall right now.

Spent the day listening to a lot of good music, on some interesting gear. smilin and his wife were extremely hospitable and served up some some killer lox and pizza, and the microbeers were provided by j-malotky. NOSValves supplied the nails of course.

I finally headed off to O'Hare around 6:30 PM Chicago time only to find my 8:00 PM flight was delayed getting in from Pittsburgh due to weather. When we finally boarded around 10 PM we had to sit on the tarmac for another hour while they de-iced the plane a second time. I got into LAX around 1:30 AM local time. It was a very fun but long day on zero sleep.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. When I was in the Navy I was stationed in Japan for a little over 7 years, I lived out on the Japanese Economy. The second house I lived in my landlord lived right next door. Now in most rural Japanese houses when you neighbor farts you can hear the reverberation. Well she had a little Shiba Inu that lived underneath my bedroom as it was suspended over that back of my share of the property. This dog would start to howl at about 3:00 AM and continue until the sun came up. She would tell the dog to be quiet but for reasons unknown refused to take any real action to abate the problem. I had to get up at 0500 to make it to work on time. So after about a month of no sleep from 0300 on I got desperate. I decided the kindness routine was an abysmal failure and drastic action was required. So finally on a Friday night I picked out CRUE's Shout at the Devil disc and put my CD player on repeat and cranked it and left. I came back in the morning and the dog was on the other side of her house. Her only comment to me regarding the issue was "You very serious speaka Ne!" Thank you Klipsch!

looking at this damn forum,

i've spent & made alot but......)i had a pair of heresy's (still do), but have gone thru 2 pair of cornwalls( bought both for 500.00 & sold them for 850.00 & 900.00 one guy flew from ohio to mobile rented a car droveto tall, then drove home the other rented a van & drove from n.carolina), 3 pairs of heresy's(made some money)5 klf 30's one horned ed pair of klf-10's.(forget what i sold the rest for.

But now have k-horns with 4 heresy's, svs & b& k ref 50 & 200.7 amp (for 3000.00 new)

so is it dumb or crazy?

Called on the bouncers to rough a guy up and throw him out of the bar one night back in 1978 while I was running the sound board on a live show. The jerk was drunk and spilled his entire beer on my brand new, $4,800 dollar, 24-channel board! OooooH! I can still feel the pain. I was cleaning pots and faders for weeks!! Grrr!

I set up a full pa in my back yard.... had 3 bands play and only 6 folks came to the gig... what a wast...

Yeah but I bet it was rocken.

I'd have to say all the work I've done to create my theater. All the sound proofing, all the construction (ongoing). Even fell off a ladder and shattered my wrist on the second day of a 2 week vacation where I was going to spend every day working on my theater. Had to have surgery and spent my whole vacation doing nothing.

WRONG! I think for you it was buying those Belles! We sure had a laugh though as you tried to get them to work.[:D]

For me it was buying my zebrawood corns just because they looked good. I was only 20 and had never even heard of Klipsch speakers. $1400 with no audition. Worked out OK in the end.[;)]

This is just plane stupid.

At one of my parties in my first ever house, we were all really drunk,

so we decided to play the 1812 overature at about 4 times the volume I

usually listened to it. When the cannons went off it was louder

than a gunshot and thank god my fuses blew saving my Khorns. In

the kitchen directly above the basement rec room, people told me that

the snacks on the center island got about 2 inches of air.

JM