Coffee and headaches.

m00n

Just curious about affects of coffee. I drink too much coffee and with my high blood pressure, I should really consider cutting WAY back. So, with that I have some questions.

1) Do any of you who drink coffee get headaches when you don't get your morning coffee? If so, how do you know the headache is from not getting your coffee and not something else?

2) Does drinking too much coffee give you a headache? If so, how do you know it's from drinking too much coffee and not something else?

3) Have you stopped drinking coffee completely, if so, did you suffer headaches and if so, for how long?

m00n,

quit all caffeine one time for about 9 months.

had the worst headache for about a week and then they were gone.

i am back to 2 cups in the morning before work and 5 shots of espresso on the way to work.

if i don't have the espresso on the weekend i usually wake up with a headache monday morning.

i have had more people telling me the chilli cookoff was the funniest thing they have read in a long time.

danny

Sounds like maybe you've got as much of a headache problem as you do a coffee consumption problem. I'm not certain that there's any correlation between drinking/not drinking or abruptly stopping consuming coffee and headaches. Methynx you should get your headaches medically differentiated, especially if they're bad or chronic (and they sound chronic).

m00n,

i have had more people telling me the chilli cookoff was the funniest thing they have read in a long time.

danny

LOL.. Yeah, it was one of the funniest things I've read in a long time myself.

Even funnier than this?

Edit: The Forum would not accept my attachment. I you want a good laugh send me your email address.

Sounds like maybe you've got as much of a headache problem as you do a coffee consumption problem. I'm not certain that there's any correlation between drinking/not drinking or abruptly stopping consuming coffee and headaches. Methynx you should get your headaches medically differentiated, especially if they're bad or chronic (and they sound chronic).

Well, a lot of it is also work stress. I've dealt with this in the past. When I get incredibly stressed out at work, I get headaches as well suffer anxiety.

I just feel that cutting down on the coffee may help my headaches as well as my acid reflux.

Moon,

try tapering off. Whenever I get a notion to do totally without caffiene for a while, I do this. Otherwise I tend to get absolutely mind-numbing headaches that sometimes turn into migraines (I get one to four of these per year). Headaches brought on by caffiene reduction can be absolutely debilitating for me, so I'm very careful with cutting back.

You might ask your doctor for a program based on how much you currently drink. I tend to do soda pop (Diet Mountain Dew) and energy drinks (Diet Rock Star) which have massive amounts of caffiene. How else can I keep up my rock and roll personna without drugs?

Michael

I have had a serious coffee addition for a long time and I'm fine with

keeping it. To answer your question YES if you stop drinking coffee it

will give you headaches especially if you drink alot which I do. I

stopped drinking coffee once and I had bad headaches for three days.

Then the headaches subsided unfortunately I forgot that I gave up

caffeine and had a cup only to start bouncing off the walls and not

sleep that night. Another instance I had been very busy working on a

project and forgot to drink coffee not sure how this happened but it

did. I was on day two of headache and it hit dam no coffee so I went to

the local coffee shop got a cup and headache cured.

Coffee is the only addiction I have and I will not give it up besides

its the only condoned drug of the modern day work enviroment.

: )

post-15544-13819275904008_thumb.jpg

Moon,

I used to drink close to 10cups of coffee every night during my 6hr shift at work , and this was in gr.11 and gr.12 along with school and very less sleep. After this behaviour continued for close to a year, my manager at the cafe offered to help and likewise, I too would get headache, anxiety, irritation if I don't have my coffee. But rather than to stop all of a sudden, its easier to force urself to drink a cup less every 2-3days and then to eventually get to a stage where u have lets say 3-4 cups a day maybe? a little more or less and you settle into that rhythm. I tried to not drink any coffee for a week and the headaches were really bad. But gradually reducing the amount of intake works well. Hope it helps a bit. Good luck

Ranjith

Yeah, coffee (well, caffeine, anyway) IS a drug - and when you quit the drug, you have withdrawals.

Regular caffeine users who quit do experience headaches. This could be from any caffeine containing beverage - coffee, colas, and Mountain Dew. If you know someone who likes the Dew, you'll notice they drink it often - like coffee drinkers often drink coffee. When they quit or are cut off from it, they get headaches.

If you get a headache from lack of caffeine, then consume your caffeine loaded beverage of choice, the headache goes away.

Caffeine also has another side effect: dehydration. If you drink coffee or other caffeine beverages, drink water in between. Caffeine forces water out of the body. Dehydration does also cause irritability, so the last thing you want is a boss who drinks coffee all day and nothing else - because the dehydration will make that person more irritable than would otherwise be the case. If you feel yourself being a bit short-fused, think back to your beverage consumption earlier that day: if you haven't had any water, drink a glass or two, and you'll discover that the fuse gets a bit longer.

caffeine (kafen') , odorless, slightly bitter alkaloid found in coffee, tea, kola nuts, ilex plants (the source of the Latin American drink maté), and, in small amounts, in cocoa (see cacao). It can also be prepared synthetically from uric acid.

While relatively harmless, it is the most commonly used mind-altering

drug in the world. When used in moderation, caffeine acts as a mild stimulant

to the nervous system, blocking the neurotransmitter adenosine and

resulting in a feeling of well-being and alertness. It increases the

heart rate, blood pressure, and urination and stimulates secretion of

stomach acids; excessive intake can result in restlessness, insomnia,

and heart irregularities. The effects of caffeine vary from person to

person, as people excrete it at different rates. Physical dependence

and unpleasant symptoms upon withdrawal (headache, fatigue, depression)

are common in regular caffeine users.

Moon,

When I began the Atkins diet 2 years ago, I stopped using caffeine and drank only water. I had headaches for a week, then they went away completely. I slept better and awoke easier every morning. I've lost all the weight I wanted to (not with Atkins, btw) and drink coffee again, though not nearly as much as I used to drink.

There seems to be a great synergy between coffee, cigarettes, and sugars. mmmmmmm

Of those three, I only do coffee now.

Woo

You seem to be punching your ticket pretty hard in the stress arena. Is there anything you can do to better manage that in general?? Kicking one habit in the midst of others might be like bailing the sinking Titanic with a teaspoon. What about irritable bowel syndrome?? That often goes with this menagerie too. All things considered you might be better served with a comprehensive stress management plan that might also include some pharmaceuticals. I'd get the opinion of a professional were I in your shoes (which I have been and did do).