Who's in Dean's .." 10% " ..???

Duke Spinner

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was to be for a small room / nearfield listening the all-in-one JVC system with the little wooden cone speakers / digital amp (30 wpc) and a DVDa player. Thing even includes speaker cables.

Over here they sell for about 500 euros give or take - that is $600.

Leaves $400 for music.

(Definitely not on Dean's 10% list - I am a front end kind of guy and Dean is...er....a back end kind of guy?)

Hi,

here's a 1000 dollar system

Fisher 400 receiver 340.00

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?vintelec&1134826820

Sony CDP-707Es cd player 350.00

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1137131346

Forte I's 499.00

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1135626669

for sale now on Audiogon ... total is 1100 and a bit of barganing will probably get it to 1000.

A prettry good system for the price

good listening

Larry

Unless you're listening

to good music it doesn't actually matter what speakers, amps, or

sources you use. Approximately 98% of the people here listen to crap

music most of the time. Why be concerned with your system if you're

just going to listen to heavy metal, jazz, rap, and that kind of stuff?

yer kidding, right? Please don't tell me that you're now going to demean Forum members due to their musical tastes. Look Parrot, if your daughter were butt ugly, she'd still deserve good wedding photos, likewise,

I don't care what jungle, urban, hillbilly, snotty, pretentious music a

fellow chooses to listen to, he deserves to hear it loud and clean with

Klipsch speakers.

Michael

Michael!! That ACTUALY had me laughing out loud!! That is a rare thing and I thank you for it!!!!

some $$$ for .....Music..!

I think it more important to emphasize that part...

One of the reasons I love hanging with Colter is because he has such a great music collection and he's always up for playing something "new" (and educating me in the process). [;)] I would think a $100,000 system would be such a waste of money if you were stuck listening to something boring like classical music on LP all day.... [:P][:D][H]

some $$$ for .....Music..!

I would think a $100,000 system would be such a waste of money if you were stuck listening to something boring like classical music on LP all day.... [:P][:D][H]

Darn right, I gotta have some money left over for that "crappy" Rap that Parrot was knocking yesterday[6]. I am still waiting for his "Parrot Approved" tracks so I can try out something new. I have been wasting my time with Rock and Jazz[+o(] for some time now.

"if you were stuck listening to something boring like classical music on LP all day"

Good God man - I would certainly hope there is no-one on this forum in that position. Life is too short - I am prepared to help anyone suffering in this way immediately.

Just send me any of the offending albums and we will say no more about it. Obviously to protect the innocent I will never name names and claim to have bought all the offending items myself - if ever caught.

lol max, it was meant as a joke! I have some good classical pieces that I enjoy (big fan of Yo Yo Ma, but sadly don't own any of this stuff), but you just gotta be in the right mood. Nothing beats going to a live symphony though...I don't think any system can touch that kind of an experience.

lol max, it was meant as a joke! I have some good classical pieces that I enjoy (big fan of Yo Yo Ma, but sadly don't own any of this stuff), but you just gotta be in the right mood. Nothing beats going to a live symphony though...I don't think any system can touch that kind of an experience.

Classical at home has its advantages - you can't get into the symphony hall if you are in your underwear holding a beer.

" - you can't get into the symphony hall if you are in your underwear holding a beer. "

You can come kinda close depending upon where you go.

I went to a concert at Tanglewood this summer (John Williams directing the BSO performing movie theme songs) and that is just a very cool place to listen to a concert. They have actual seating under the tent but the rest of the area is all open seating on the lawn which is basically surround by forest in the Berkshires.

Some people literally bring picnic tables/chairs and had candle light dinners out under the stars listening to the music. Saw far more bottles of wine then beers though. ;)

We packed dinner and chairs but didn't think of candles and wine... next time.

Shawn

Well, I know I'm not on Dean's 10%, but it's not due to lousy hearing or being too damn cheap to tweek (although Dean may disagree with me since I'm listening to music on my Chinese-made amp/preamp...no, wait...that's Craig).

When I had the funds I would spend that much (and more) on my audio system. Since being laid off and filing bankruptcy forced me to downsize considerably and simplify, I just don't have the funds available now for new Cornwall networks. All along I figured the reason my Cornwalls could sound harsh at higher levels was due to my tiny listening room (I know they sound stellar in a huge livingroom when my dad owned 'em), which is why I retired the Cornwalls in favor of smaller monitors for this little room (demo pair of Loth-X fullrange speakers sold way below cost). That could still be part of my problem, but I reckon it all boils down to the '79 CW's original crossover networks...they're probably old and tired and need a good upgrading to match my newer components.

I still want to relocate my system back to the livingroom where my dad had his setup many years ago. Once certain items are sold and there's room again for an audio system, I want to use my Cornwalls again. Hopefully this time with new networks installed...that'd be the nutz![H]

JC -- the thread is here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/635880/ShowPost.aspx and what I said was:

"I've decided almost half of you have terrible hearing. The other half are too cheap to invest in any real upgrades. If you hit the lottery tomorrow you might upgrade your interconnects. 10% are on track and know what they are doing -- and these are pretty much ignored by everyone else."

It was something I blurted out in an attempt to incite a riot, which I thought was wholly appropriate for a thread titled: "Therapeutic Fight Thread". I didn't expect it to be taken so seriously. Man, people are soooo sensitive. I have no idea what the real percentages are. I do think tube preamps, clean power of any kind, good networks, proper placement, and a bit of room treatment is a good recipe for success.