Another CD Comparison AH! vs Sony DVP NS999ES

tigerwoodKhorns

My NS999ES is a fantastic CD/DVD player . It does great things with DVD picture quality and sound . Multi channel audio is great ; as long as you use SACD's , DVDA is not supported . Any Guesses Why ? I find it hard to recomend Sony right now in light of some recent developments , but what the heck if you buy it used who cares . You could do worse ...

I have heard good things about both, but the ah! with upsampler will trample the sony. The sony is dvd player, and imo dvd/cd's will never sound as good as a full out cdp IMO

Well I've never heard the ah, but I HAVE had the following thru my systems:

Rega Planet (original)

Eastern Electric MiniMax

Sony DVP 9000es

Levinson 37 transport / Musical Fidelity Trivista DAC

Resolution Audio Opus 21

Audio Note 4.1 DAC / Audio Note CDT2

The Sony wansn't trampled, trounced, creamed, wasted, demolished, put to shame, or seriously outclassed by anything, despite being WAY cheaper than any of those units (except the Rega). As good as them? No - but as good in some areas, better in some, worse in some. In the end I kept three of the units from that list and the Sony IS one of them.

My opinion, of course.

HI

I don't know about AH but has anny one heard about the Mcintosh digital to analogue converter. The CD signal from their cd player is sent in digital form through a coax cable to a seperate converter.The specs look good.

According to Mcintosh it makes it a better sampler.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=19&cat=Sources&prodid=1016&product=MDA1000

I have heard good things about both, but the ah! with upsampler will trample the sony. The sony is dvd player, and imo dvd/cd's will never sound as good as a full out cdp IMO

Well I've never heard the ah, but I HAVE had the following thru my systems:

Rega Planet (original)

Eastern Electric MiniMax

Sony DVP 9000es

Levinson 37 transport / Musical Fidelity Trivista DAC

Resolution Audio Opus 21

Audio Note 4.1 DAC / Audio Note CDT2

The Sony wansn't trampled, trounced, creamed, wasted, demolished, put to shame, or seriously outclassed by anything, despite being WAY cheaper than any of those units (except the Rega). As good as them? No - but as good in some areas, better in some, worse in some. In the end I kept three of the units from that list and the Sony IS one of them.

My opinion, of course.

I have used a Sony SACD 333ES for like 2 to 3 years now and see now reason to venture any further the things sounds great! Changing to something else IMHO is a sideways move more then anything. If I want a major jump up in Sonics I just drop the needle and get the wonderful crap snapple pop in-between tracks.

Craig