EDTV & HDTV

33klfan

• Moderators

What the heck is the difference or isn't there any between EDTV & HDTV? Is this a good time to buy a plasma, or will it be better in a couple years? Thanks.

Well, coming from an average consumer... It seems to depend on how picky you are about clarity, really. How much is it worth to you?

I got a 42 in plasma one year ago and the difference between ED and HD was about 4000 dollars. The decision was easy for me, and I have no complaints about picture quality.

However, in browsing this year, I've noticed the HDTV's have come down quite a bit. When mine starts going on the fritz, probably in a few years, I'll be ready to get an HD. Of course, I'm sure there will be something much better on the market that I will forgo to save some $$$ [:)]

I think it depends on what you are watching. If you are watching DVDs on a regular DVD player, then EDTV may be fine. On the other hand, I have an upscaling DVD player with my 720p HDTV and it looks great. I just got an HDTV antenna installed and the high def images are a lot better than standard def. That's another reason to go for HDTV.

woot.com has the 61" DLP HDTV for $2,500 today delivered including a box of Monster cr*p. That's a heck of a deal but you need to leap on it today.

As Jeff said above, it really depends on what you watch the most. If you primarily watch standard definition TV (including DVD's), an EDTV can be a better choice than an HDTV. One of HDTV's limitations is their ability to display a good standard definition picture. Some are better than others. And depending on your viewing distance, an EDTV can display a very high quality HD picture.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't ED 520p resolution, HDTV is 720p on espn and fox and ect. and HDTV is also 1080i. The new format is 1080P but there isn't much material out there. Most old no upconverting DVD players are 480p I beleive.

Merkin:

I think your understanding of the various HDTV signals that the networks provide is correct. And, yes, EDTV is somewhat better than regular - in terms of resolution. Technically, as I understand it, most EDTVs in the widescreen format (usually plasma) have 480 X 852 lines of resolution.

There are actually multiple "standards" for HDTV. To be called "HDTV" in the United States, a set has to technically have 768 X 1024 lines of resolution (again, in the wide screen format). Most of the 42 HD plasma sets that I have looked at have this resolution - which is still HD but so-called minimum standards of HDTV. The other standard is the so-called European standard of HD, which is 768 X 1368 lines of resolution. The vertical resolution is the same as the US standard, but you gain over 300 lines of resolution in the horizontal plane. In shopping for plasmas, most of the 50 inch sets have the European standard. The U.S. HD standard is still very, very good - its just the other standard is a bit better.

See here for some generalizations:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7608_7-1016109-3.html?tag=tnav

Amy:
We did the same thing as you. About a year and a half ago, we wanted to hang a 42 inch plasma above the fireplace, but we were shocked at the prices of HD sets. So, we went with a ED 42 inch set and have been very happy. The colors and contrast on plasma sets are really something. I figured - just wait and prices will eventually drop.

Well - they have. However, we just recently looked at prices of plasma sets and were shocked. The prices have fallen like a stone. Honestly, I do not think they will drop a whole lot more in the next year (maybe some tweaking). And several manufacturers have purposely rereleased new HD models with lower MSRP prices - this year. As a result, you can get a nice, nice 50 inch plasma for about $4000 - and with some - a commercial version of the same for $3000. I am already very happy with the brand of my first plasma (starts with a P.....) and may consider a 50 inch HD version if the price on sale drops to about $3700 with some nice financing (2 years????, etc.)

Prices have dropped so much that you can get a very nice HD 42 inch set for about $2500-3000. With the latest price drops, now is the time. If you can swing a HD plasma set - go for it.

Steve:
Yes, as I understand it - 1080p would act like progressive scan - and your lines would refresh more quickly. Therefore, you should get a better picture, especially with respect to the colors - lack of any shadows or artifacts - ever. The problem is timing. 1080p is new. Right now, I think only Sony is currently producing 1080p sets, and they are running well over $10,000. So.... yes they are better, but it will not be until everyone starts producing 1080p sets in mass - then the prices of 1080p sets will drop. Yes - if one wants the ultimate and bang for the buck is not a consideration - go for 1080p.

Carl.

Yes, as I understand it - 1080p would act like progressive scan - and your lines would refresh more quickly. Therefore, you should get a better picture, especially with respect to the colors - lack of any shadows or artifacts - ever. The problem is timing. 1080p is new. Right now, I think only Sony is currently producing 1080p sets, and they are running well over $10,000. So.... yes they are better, but it will not be until everyone starts producing 1080p sets in mass - then the prices of 1080p sets will drop. Yes - if one wants the ultimate and bang for the buck is not a consideration - go for 1080p.

Carl.

FYI: There are currently several 1080p DLP models out there (Mitsubishis and samsung) and the prices are REALLY coming down. I got cooked when I went into the Magnolia HIFI, in my local Bestbuy, and asked a salesperson, "Do you have any 1080p displays?" The young lady said "most of them here are 1080p." I exclaimed (with authority in my voice) that "No, they are 1080i or 720p." She capitulated and brought over a more senior person who in fact said "No sir--in this room the majority of the DLP's are 1080p" and proceeded to show me the error of my ways. [:$] The prices are coming down. The Mitsubishi 73 inch, 1080p, DLP was $5500. [:o]

As Jeff said above, it really depends on what you watch the most. If you primarily watch standard definition TV (including DVD's), an EDTV can be a better choice than an HDTV. One of HDTV's limitations is their ability to display a good standard definition picture. Some are better than others. And depending on your viewing distance, an EDTV can display a very high quality HD picture.

Well, I disagree with most of that. If you watch ANY High Definition TV ("primarily" or otherwise) a HDTV is a better choice than EDTV. As long as the TV was made in last couple of years, the quality of standard definition should be just fine, and the same signal certainly wouldn't look any better on an EDTV. On the other hand, if you are really concerned about how analog signals look on your set, buy an Analog TV, or better yet, just keep using your old 19 incher. Your Picture Quality will also depend on the source of your signal. If you are feeding your TV a 1080i / 720p signal from your Cable or Satellite box, letting the box do the upconverting, you will get an excellent picture (turn the stretch off, and it will look even better). If you still watch analog TV, well, that's your own fault, and you really can't blame any picture quality issues on the TV. And yes, EDTV might be able to display a "very high quality" picture, but it's not HD.

In short, if anyone tells you to buy an EDTV, they are giving you bad advice.

Carl.

FYI: There are currently several 1080p DLP models out there (Mitsubishis and samsung) and the prices are REALLY coming down. I got cooked when I went into the Magnolia HIFI, in my local Bestbuy, and asked a salesperson, "Do you have any 1080p displays?" The young lady said "most of them here are 1080p." I exclaimed (with authority in my voice) that "No, they are 1080i or 720p." She capitulated and brought over a more senior person who in fact said "No sir--in this room the majority of the DLP's are 1080p" and proceeded to show me the error of my ways. [:$] The prices are coming down. The Mitsubishi 73 inch, 1080p, DLP was $5500. [:o]

You are right, and I stand corrected. The three early major players in the 1080p race are Sony, Mits and Samsung, and the prices are pretty reasonable. However, according to a number of reviews, there is an early leader - Sony - as far as overal quality. In fact, Sony's KDS-R50XBR1 ($4000) and its bigger brother, the R60 (60 inch) for $5000 appear to have incredible pics. Heres the skinny on the 1080p sets. Currently, they only accept 1080p input from computers, and none of the models are configured to accept 1080p movie or broadcast inputs. Of course, 1080p movie and/or broadcast does not yet exist for the masses. Therefore, these sets use an upscaler to take 1080i and make it 1080p.

I only raise this because if someone is contemplating using one of these sets for the future HD-DVD players that will come down the road or for 1080p broadcasting - these sets will not do it.

However, that being said, upscaling to a true 1080p - and 1900 lines of resolution in fantastic. Now, for me - at some point - it may be between the Sony 1080p 50 inch set or a Panny 50 inch HD plasma.

Either would look good on top of my center Belle downstairs - if I can just convince the wife to keep the ED plasma in the main family room.

Carl.