Cornwall 511B "voice of the Corn"[:)]

travisc

how tall should the metal mounting type things in the back be? you know, the thing that will hold my horn upright so it's not aiming at an angle toward my ceiling.

i'll have to make one out of wood. i dont think the k400 ones are the right height.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sweet spot is larger. midrange is noticably less compressed.

other than that, they're about the same. for $95 shipped (he said i overpaid on shipping and will send me a $15 MO) these horns were definitely worth it.

besides, they look cooler than k400's :)

what's next? altec 902's or some new tweeters?

how tall should the metal mounting type things in the back be? you know, the thing that will hold my horn upright so it's not aiming at an angle toward my ceiling.

i'll have to make one out of wood. i dont think the k400 ones are the right height.

Well, my 511's are exposed above the CW bass bin. In that application, in my room; The supports are sized to angle down to the sweet spot....... Breathing down my throat.

So IMHO, and even enclosed, mount them on line.

Terry

You shouldn't cross the 902 at 400Hz with a first order filter. Even with loading caps and 12dB/octave it's barely acceptable. I looked at it pretty hard for about a week and scratched it off my list. The only thing I've run across that has strong enough output at 400Hz is the JBL 2470. Your next move should be tweeters. You won't always notice a big difference with compressed Rock, but the difference with good recordings and DVD movies is pretty significant.

which 902 driver? 8 0r 16, I read someone told Duke last week that the k-55 is 16ohm? is this correct? this would need apply to any midrange driver if it were to be a drop in? Dean?

now I am not saying I have decided on the 902 yet(I am still amazed at what I have achieved with the 511b/k-55

Terry,

ah your still following this thread, I would like to thank you for the inspiration to do this, it was sooooo worth it!!!

could I get some input on the different mid/tweeter options available and peoples opinions of them.

Both the K-55-V and K-55-M are 16 ohm drivers. If you are running a stock Klipsch network then you need the 16 ohm version of the 902. If you are running the ALK or Super AA, you can run either the 8 or 16 ohm version. New 902's can be had through Great Plains Audio. I think if you are going to run the 902 in the Klipschorn and don't want to give up any power handling you need at least a 24dB/octave bandpass on the squawker.

For the tweeter I would go with the Beyma CP-25 or wait on Bob Crites who has something very special in the works.

travisc,

Good to see you have the 511 mods up and running, I see your experimenting does'nt stop there, nothing wrong with that. Doing the same here, though at a slower pace, I find doing one mod at a time, enjoying the music for a week or two, then trying something else works good. Following others suggestions and my own ideas makes a list of thing to try, watching your mod ideas here as well.

As I mentioned in earlier post, I turned the Cornwall cabinets upside down as a mod, and after having them this way for several weeks, they are there to stay (have a few other ideas, though require cutting, not ready yet). Voices seem much more in focus this way as are probably some instruments as well, and there could be a reason for this, unlike those with Khorns,Belles,Lascalas with the 511 upgrade, by replacing the 400/401 with the 511, the midrange voice coil centerline is about if not the same distance from the woofer centerline as stock, in otherwords they replace the mid horn but it remains in the same location as stock. When the 511 is on top of the Cornwall cabinet, the centerline of the midrange voice coil is 28" from the woofer vs. 14 1/2" for the stock 600 horn centerline to the woofer, a change of 13 1/2". Since voice also comes from the woofer (even if crossed at 400hz), that would exlpain the separation, except for maybe if you are 20+ feet away, not sure of that , but 8-15ft it is very noticable.

Buy inverting the CW cabinet and putting 511 on riser (now the top) the midrange voice coil centerline is closer to woofer at 21" vs. 14 1/2" stock , or 7" closer than 511 on upright CW. I removed the riser which is another 2" gets the midrange voice coil centerline a total of 19" from woofer vs. stock 14 1/2" , so the difference is now only 4 1/2" inverted CW vs. 13 1/2" for upright CW, 9" closer, again makes voices more focused. Just wondering if you, Terry, or anyone else is going to try this, really works. Note, the Altec Voice of the Theater and Model 19s have the 811 or 511 horns right above the woofers (close) as does do the Khorn, Belle Scala owners, even stock Corn, Heresy or most any other brand for that matter, must be a reason! give it some thought and maybe even a try!

Happy experimenting!

The 902s from Great Plains are just under $200 a driver. And those have the extension that you may not feel the need for a tweeter with them.

Shawn

so for about $400, i wouldn't need tweeters.

now assuming i did this, i read in this thread or the other that running two way makes the higher frequencies "beam" at you. that doesnt sound like a good thing :(

and is the ALK network easily convertible to run in 2 way mode?

If you want to run one of Al's netweorks with 511b/902 combo you could just buld a set of his ES 400, ES500, or ES600 networks or you could just remove/disconnect the .2MH coil and the 6.2 ufd and 1ufd caps in the tweeter ckt and then conncet the 2.2 ufd to ground.

I am very happy that my first pair of 511's were painted, criminy!! what a PITA getting that white paint off. Warning to anyone using aircraft stripper for removing paint. this stuff will remove your flesh just as quickly.

I am tempted to polish the aluminum and clear coat it. but it would look a little too pimpdaddy for my tastes