belles, to buy or not to buy, conflicted

tuned4life

the belle's, ebay item 5837199326 are located in toronto ontario. they are about 130 miles from me. i would have to bring them through custums and im not sure what that might involve. i spoke with the seller on the phone. he seems like a straight shooting guy. he says that the veneer chip in upper right front corner is the only cosmetic issue. that grill clothe is perfect. compents are perfect.serial number 2r131 which indicates they are 1977 models. he is firm at 1700.00. i offered him 1500.00 and he declined. the belles are 30" wide. the spot i have for them is only 27" because of where our monitor heater sits. currently i have cornwalls in the spot which fit perfectly. if i were to move the heater i would have the 30 inches. moving the heater would involve buying a 160.00 exhaust extension kit and running all new copper tubing to the outdoor tank. a job i would rather not do in the winter. this would mean i would have to find a place to store the belles. it will also mean having to scramble to sell 2 pairs of cornwalls. the original plan was to put lascalas where the cornwalls are because they would fit perfectly without having to move the heater. im pretty conflicted over whether to buy them or pass. last nite i was thinking if something doesnt go easy its probablt not meant to be. my wife hasnt been thrilled about any of my klipsch adventures. she is in favor of me buying the belles. not because they are pretty, but because our much missed 10 year old dog was named belle. she would probably be less supportive if she knew i would have to relocate the heater. maybe i should just stick to the plan and hold out for another mint pair of birch raw lascalas.

post-18012-13819276442256_thumb.jpg

If that's your heater in the picture, it looks like it would take no more than about $6.87 in parts from Home Depot to move it - if you do it yourself. Just elbows and extensions.

On the speakers themselves, the price is probably a little high, but finding them locally means you do the best you can and get them when reasonable enough. Big question.... Will they sound alot better than your Cornwalls? Everybody around here seems to agree they will not.

So, you'd be paying all that premium for "pretty." If you're really after the way they look, then, go for it. Otherwise, $1700 is a chunk of change for some speakers that probably will not sound as good (balanced) as your Cornwalls.

I would also recommend that the average person who already has good equipment to read "The Millionaire Next Door" before making a decision to trade up. That's not to say you would be talked out of it, but it is a good book on financial priorities.

I recently purchased a pair of '78's for $1750 with NO veneer chips at all. $1700 seems a bit much with the plainly visible veneer chips I would think that the $1500 offer is closer to reality, $1600 might be doable if he is agreeable.

See what the auction bottoms out at, if it comes in low than I think he would be more agreeable to your $1500 offer. I replaced my '62 Cornwall rears with Belle's a few months ago, there is a perceptible bass loss but you gain on the top end and in overall dynamics. You become accustomed to the bass response in a short period of time to the point where it is preferred. They are like 4.5" wider and 3.25" deeper to boot I managed to squeeze them in the rear. They take up quite a bit of floor space and have me rethinking my rear arrangement I might step down to something smaller at some point. I have a little over $2K in them now with new networks, wiring, spade lugs and solder terminal K-55V's.

I think $1700 is a little on the pricey side. For that kind of money you might be able to run across Khorns.

Going from Cornwall listening to Belles, I think many folks would be

disappointed in the Belle bass. It just sounds different, and needs a

sub, to my ears, to sound at it's best.

I also agree that $1700 might be a little on the high side, considering the condition. However, one factor is certainly the proximity. We have had a number of horror stories (and high expense) regarding shipment of speakers so given their proximity, this pair might be worth it for you.

Others have pointed out the advantages of the Belles, which is in the midrange. I actually prefer the horn-loaded bass of the Belles/LaScalas to the bass sound of the Cornwalls, having also owned Corns - even though the Belles do not dig as deep. Having a sub with Belles, while not completely required for all songs, is preferred.

There is one caveat, however. To me, the best sounding Belles have had aftermarket crossovers where you are able to attentuate the midrange squawker to come down in db, to even out the speaker (in line with the tweeter and bass). The result is a better-sounding speaker than the Cornwall, in my opinion. However, what that means is that you may have to purchase (or build) a pair of Dean or Al's networks (i.e. the Super AA or ALK), and this could add another $200 - $400 or so.

Carl.

Tuned,

I think you answered your own question, I don't think you'll get 1,700 dollars more satisfaction

from the Bells..........You already have CW's that everyone seems to drool over.........

repeat after me" I am happy with the equipment i have"

Plus there is the hassle of customs and the exchange rate............

Re reading your post........I think you'd gain valuable browine points in talking the wife into

getting another dog "Belle II"........JMHO

While I'm sure that the "Belle" is outstanding, I never really understood it's position in the lineup. It's a real tweener between the Cornwall and La Scala, without the better parts of each. Yes, it's prettier than the La Scala, but not the La Scala II. The La Scala's that I've got with the AL-3's offer something that the Cornwalls do not and the Cornwalls offer something drastic that the La Scala's do not. The "Belle" is lost. I'd keep the Cornwalls or go for Khorns if you've got good corners.

Hey Tuned,

You still have that WO pair from the guy in Ohio? Those were in amazing shape. I almost tripped the switch before you on those.

BS

I would wait for Belles in better condition at a better price. The

Belles are beautiful and sound grand. I love the folded bass horn sound.

I believe PWK produced 4 different bass horn designs Jubilee,

Khorn, Belle, & La Scala. With the Belle discontinued the value

should go up.

thanks for all your input. im going to forget about the belles and hold out for a pair of mint raw birch la scalas to match the pair i already have. yes, i still have the corns from ohio. they have cane grills on them now to lighten up the room a little. the seller said that they were owned by Chet Atkins but i cant verify it with documentation. i will try to post pics of the ohio corns. they are the ones on the top. the ones on the bottom are also mint but not perfect like the ohio corns. as they say around these parts, couriousity killed a cat, satifaction brought him back. i would have been less than satisfied with them. once again, thanks to all.

post-18012-13819276463404_thumb.jpg