Why did I do this?

colterphoto1

Just because I have two double stacks of LSI's, Renkus Heinz stage monitors, dual 31 band Rane EQ, Ashley stereo 3-way xover, Assorted compressors and delays, Shure and AKG mics, Crown, QSC, and BGW amps- WHY did I just purchase a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro mixing console?

I really have just about no use for any of this stuff. I'm not in a band, I don't work for a band, I have no gigs, I hardly play an instrument and no one would pay me to sing.

So what's up?

Michael

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rent it out to local bands to play out in a park or local outdoor events (provided you run the equipment, Michael). Make some extra cash and buy some more! It's a never-ending cycle.

Or let a budding DJ use it during a wedding reception you're shooting.

I saw a very interesting show on ESPN about Dick Vermeil. So much of it was about his relationships with people he had throughout his career. In the days right before he won the Superbowl with the Rams he called alot of players and coaches from high school and college teams he coached many many years before. They were all amazed he would even think of them--

The theme running through the whole show was "Follow Your Bliss", which he so obviously did--

A beautiful thing--

I'd follow it, SeePhoto--- there's something there that gives you alot of pleasure.

Don't ask why did I just do that--just do it. Its leading you somewhere good--there are people that will help you--go find them--somebody can use all your treasures--

(No, I'm not a shrink)

Wow! Cool list. Your question is a valid one though. Maybe it is the same reason that you have far more speakers than you can ever use. It IS difficult to not fall victim to this type of thing. Although we say this is all about the music, it often becomes more about the gear. Where does one draw the line between guy who enjoys listening to 2 channel, hobbyist, Klipsch enthusiast, collector, big time collector, and compulsive shopper?

The ironic thing (for me, anyway) was that I was just this morning reflecting on how I had too much unused stereo gear sitting around. You know...for those "systems" that will probably never come together. I am right on the verge of reducing to one system with my favorite pieces and letting go of the rest of the things that I have become attached to.

I feel your pain.

I'm thinking I might be able to relate to this Michael. For the last 5 years I've resisted the urge to buy a guitar. Not because I want to learn to play the thing - actually I have no real interest in learning. It's just for whatever reason, I'm strangely drawn to them. I'll go into pawn shops to look at them. I look at them on-line. I've gone into music stores. The worst was at Disney's Pleasure Island. There's a huge music store there that's loaded with all types of guitars. I almost ripped my wife's arm out the socket I took off for it so fast. [:$]

I have no doubt that sooner or later I'm gonna buy one and it'll be all she wrote then. [:(]

Tom

I buy gear I do not really need all the time. I just bought an omni-directional mic for an ADC/BSR/DBX equalizer and I don't even own one. I bought it because I know that they are rare and I could resell it someday for more than I paid for it I guess.

I think I am just happy when I am buying and selling stuff that I really don't need. I pick up stuff all the time. Keeps me busy and happy so I suppose it is a good thing.

Michael, I was going to make a typical joke... but in all honesty:

It resembles an obsessive-compulsive behaviour... which, BTW is closely related to depression and clinical depression. Feel free to PM me...

ROb

No joke, I saw a documentary on something like this once. Some people literally have no room left in their homes and end up renting space. Now I doubt you are anywhere near that but it sounds like you need a booth at the local flea market.

I'm seeing a therapist next week. Seriously.

This is out of hand. I'm spending like $500 a week on junk I don't

need, just because it's a 'deal'. It might look cool to you guys but

I'm dying here.

By reading your initial post, I was figuring that much...

I think it's a wise decision as there are a ton of reasons for the

problem, but it won't get better untreated. Given

it's relatively recent (in perspective of your lifetime), I think it

can be addressed pretty successfully... so hang in there!

ROb

For the control booth , to mix down16 channels to a DAW for

recording,guitar &bass amp modeling,mic modeling, insert

effects,rhythm tracks, mix down, an mastering effects,

CurlyColterLoopsFactory, get that DR Who dude to figure out the DAW, it

will drive em Krazy W3rd

I've never been fond of the "studio in a box"....it's like buying a

HTIB. Same quality and same flexibility (more like lack thereof)

Now something like the Mackie Onyx 1640 would be a blast, because it

doubles up as a live console AND a recording console at the same time.

16 channels would be the bare minimum for mixing, but they can be diasy

chained for a total of 32 channels [H]

Their new live "large format" Onyx live consoles look cool too, but I don't think they have the firewire capability.

It's good to see mackie has finally put two sweepable mids into their EQ section instead of the old school single one.